India revokes Kashmir's special status

Tools    

Article 370 of the Indian constitution which gave special status to Kashmir which was the only Muslim majority state in India , has been revoked yesterday by Indian government.

The special status Kashmir enjoyed meant that Indian people from outside the state could not buy land and property in Kashmir and women marrying outside the state forfeited some of their rights. This was done to protect the Muslim majority status of the state , so that non muslims from outside the state could not settle there and change demography . But hindu nationalists have complained for a long time that this made the Kashmir people feel separate and pro Pakistan. Now this special status has been revoked and anyone can settle in Kashmir.

Also Kashmir has been bifurcated and the territory of ladakh which is half Buddhist and half shia Muslim ( both communities not interested in joining Pakistan) has been separated from Kashmir . Both ladakh and Kashmir have been reduced from states to union territories which will be ruled directly by a governor from Indian capital Delhi.

Obviously Pakistan is not going to take this lying down nor it's supporters in Kashmir. Expect trouble like terrorism or military clashes in the next few days.

The Buddhists of ladakh are happy with the decision and shias are kind of neutral. Hindus of Kashmir are obviously elated. Other Hindus across the subcontinent are in a state of nationalistic fervor .

But Sunnis Muslims in Kashmir are in a state of shock and may revolt in few days with Pakistan's help. India has pushed large numbers of paramilitary forces in Kashmir and has put total clampdown on internet and free movement of people . Already clashes have occurred on the line of control separating Indian and Pakistani controlled Kashmir with heavy artillery being used.

----ashdoc

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/05/w...gtype=Homepage

This is map of Kashmir. The grayish and reddish parts are controlled by India and formed Kashmir. Now the grayish part is union territory of Kashmir and reddish part is union territory of ladakh. Yellow part is controlled by China. Green part is controlled by Pakistan.

The Sunnis of Kashmir of course have been in revolt against India to join Pakistan for 30 years now. Pakistan has been pushing jihadis across the line of control and radical preachers teaching Islamic fundamentalism have also been active in Kashmir.

Now I don't have appetite for war at the age of 45 , but younger Indians do have that appetite . They say this jihad declared by Pakistan has to be answered and have elected a hindu nationalist government to deal with it. They say Sunni Kashmiris are jihadis anyway and no special status should be given to them .

Thread has been started because @Upton wanted me to start it . He has asked me to start it in this thread---

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...81#post2028181

Finally the right decision made. You might argue against the method in which it was achieved, but there was no other way. At least they have prevented violence.

Hopefully, this leads to development of the region. Also, this is good for Jammu and Ladakh who have suffered because of being combined with Kashmir for several decades.

I expect a reaction from terrorists and Pakistan, but this government has planned things well.

Lastly, the Kashmiri pandits who were killed or driven out from their homes in the nineties by Pakistan backed terrorists can return to their rightful places.

Article 370 was temporary and always meant to go. It finally has. May the region prosper.

Below is the military balance between India and Pakistan

Though on paper India has more forces and equipment , India has to keep some forces on the Chinese frontier and so both India and Pakistan are evenly balanced in reality.

There is a good chance of war breaking out this weekend itself , so I am asking the friends I made on this forum to pray for me . If I survive I will certainly return to post on this forum. But internet could be cut when war starts.

Pakistan could likely make an armoured thrust backed by fighter jets into jammu region of Kashmir or into the Punjab. India seems to be ready for such an eventuality.

There is a good chance of war breaking out this weekend itself , so I am asking the friends I made on this forum to pray for me . If I survive I will certainly return to post on this forum. But internet could be cut when war starts.

Pakistan could likely make an armoured thrust backed by fighter jets into jammu region of Kashmir or into the Punjab. India seems to be ready for such an eventuality.
Ashdoc, I sure hope that cooler heads prevail so as to avoid war. No one really wins these things. I just hope that you're not in harm's way there. Fingers crossed, bro.

~Doc

Ashdoc, I sure hope that cooler heads prevail so as to avoid war. No one really wins these things. I just hope that you're not in harm's way there. Fingers crossed, bro.

~Doc
Let's hope for the best .

In Asia and especially in radicalized society like Pakistan there is something called honour . At this point Pakistan armed forces have lost face in front on their own public and will have to fight just to redeem their honor.

The problem is exacerbated by Facebook Twitter etc . Indians are gloating and making fun of Pakistanis there and both Facebook and Twitter have both become battlefields. Of course they are only answering those Pakistanis who were making fun when an Indian pilot was captured in military clashes earlier this year . At the moment the whole of Pakistan is feeling humiliated.

On Pakistan defense forum all Indian members were banned because they were making fun of Pakistanis. Hindu Indians are now joking of getting married to Kashmiri muslim women .

I wish we would stop judging this issue on the basis of Internet posts. People are going to be grade A arseholes on the internet. And by people, I mean people from both sides.

In the past three days I have seen enough vitriol and fake news on both sides from the usual idiots. The key here is 'usual idiots'. People that need to be ignored.

As for the situation on the ground, things are calmer in Kashmir. Yes, it's an uneasy calm and we can only tell the reaction once the restrictions are lifted. People in Jammu and Ladakh are happy with the decision.

Diplomatically on the international stage we have played this well. Now, it remains to be seen how the government handles the situation on the ground in Kashmir. Again not Jammu or Ladakh, but Kashmir.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...an-communities

Britain's Indian and Pakistani communities (both more than one million strong each ) are at loggerheads as anti India demonstrations are planned by Pakistanis on Indian independence day---15 August.

https://m.timesofindia.com/india/jem...w/70631516.cms

Indian intelligence expects a massive terror attack in Kashmir on festival of eid ul adha tomorrow. Seven terrorists have slipped in......

London Mayor Sadiq Khan has been slammed online for inadequate security arrangements outside the Indian High Commission where Indians and people of Indian origin, gathered to celebrate the 73rd Independence Day of India, were abused and pelted with eggs and water bottles by Pakistan-sponsored protesters.

Thousands of protesters, waving Pakistani and Kashmiri flags, rallied outside the Indian High Commission on Thursday and resorted to violence, against the revocation of special status for Jammu and Kashmir, bringing central London to a complete halt.

The police were outnumbered by the protesters who also damaged the Indian Tricolour and threw stones at the Indian mission. Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan's special adviser on overseas Pakistanis Zulfi Bukhari attended the rally and also addressed the charged crowd.

The Pakistan-origin London Mayor was the target of Twitterati after the violence. Some accused him of "supporting the violent protest" while many called him to vacate his office.

"Thousands of murderous #Pakistan thugs who were bussed in from all over #Britain tried to force their way into #India High Commission. This was a planned assault allowed under #London Mayor Sadiq Khan's watch. #Londonistan just got more dangerous on 15 August," wrote one user.

"News of stone pelting, bottles, eggs being thrown at Indians by Pakistani and pro Khalistani Kashmiri seperatist protesters. @MayorofLondon get your act together and stop this violence. If you cant its time for you to vacate your office," said another.

"This is what London Mayor Sadiq Khan let happen at Indian High Commission despite having the know of what's about to happen. Deliberately he let Pakistanis create ruckus and take Law and order for a ride. Utter shame!" said another tweet.

"Shocked and saddened that this has been allowed to happened outside the Indian High Commission and the London Mayor chose to allow it what message does this send around the world Khan? You are a big embarrassment to London and need to go now," tweeted one user.

The Scotland Yard said that four people were arrested after the violence, reports said.

Vijay Chauthaiwale, BJP's In-Charge, Foreign Affairs Department, termed the happenings outside the Indian High Commission "quite deplorable".

"What happened today in front of the Indian High Commission in London is quite deplorable. @BBCWorld will never report it," he said, referring to BBC's reportage of the alleged massive protests in Kashmir Valley last Friday.

"Women and children who came to celebrate Independence Day were abused, eggs and water bottle thrown on them by Paki goons," he said.

The violence came as Imran Khan's special adviser Bukhari had last week appealed to the overseas Pakistanis to stage protests outside Indian Consulates on August 15.
https://www.indiatvnews.com/news/wor...rotests-542788

london mayor sadiq khan allows fellow pakistanis to convert indian independence celebrations on 15 august into an spectacle of violence in which the indian flag was trampled on and scotland yard policemen were outnumbered by the pakistanis . is this london or londonistan ?

Is this going to remain about this specific issue, or is it becoming another catch-all thread?
The so called protest on Indian independence day by Pakistanis in London was a result of Indian incorporation of Kashmir , so I posted it .

Part of the issue is that every one of these things could conceivably be some kind of response to whatever has come before, so posting about it once is essentially a license to post the same things over and over forever. I think at a certain point it's removed enough from the initial event that it becomes a catch-all. Not sure if we're at that point but just a heads-up that it'll obviously have to be closed if the link to the initial event gets too tenuous or far-removed.