No Man's Sky

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
Getting ready to drop in for a few, just to see how it runs...
And he never came back...

The People's Republic of Clogher
I played on for a bit last night and, unless there's something revelatory in the multiplayer, I'm probably done.

The bits I like about the game are still there, but also the bits I find tiresome. It's probably the best 'one of those' I've played but it's still 'one of those'.

A system of cells interlinked
Yea, it was late. Definitely playable, but running pretty rough for me at the moment. My base is totally powered down, so first order of business will be to get power up and running. Will try again tonight. Hopefully things run a bit smoother then!

Getting ready to drop in for a few, just to see how it runs...
And he never came back...

I hope nobody minds if I take succour from the broader woes, because it means VR's not irredeemably borked

Fine by me!

I hope the power generation thing isn't too resource intensive/heavy. Hoping it doesn't add a particularly time consuming layer of maintenance that has me constantly scurrying around to feed it resources.

Fine by me!

I hope the power generation thing isn't too resource intensive/heavy. Hoping it doesn't add a particularly time consuming layer of maintenance that has me constantly scurrying around to feed it resources.
The first tier generator (using carbon) is a glutton and a pain

(On the plus side it seems you can still come back through your portal even when it's unpowered, so that's handy)

So far it's looking like solar panels + batteries for the win. Seem painless once set up

The first tier generator (using carbon) is a glutton and a pain

(On the plus side it seems you can still come back through your portal even when it's unpowered, so that's handy)

So far it's looking like solar panels + batteries for the win. Seem painless once set up

Yea, I poked around a bit in the menu after I unlocked a couple of techs and that seemed the one to aim for. I had previously added a bunch of random rooms to my base just messing around with building to see how it all worked. Those are rooms are currently empty, and will now be marked for demolition!

Oh well now I have to try this

You simply must try leaping down to a planet from a frigate in orbit.

Make sure you continually resupply your life support (you'll need about 1000 oxygen to be safe) as you'll vent oxygen fast. Your hazard protection will return and your life support will stabilise once you enter the planet's atmosphere.

This was one of the first things I tried in VR and it was an awesome experience.
Possibly explains this image on the sub...

(The things I've seen on there, my god. There have definitely been some new animal behaviours added in the last few updates. Spoilers. Also nightmare fuel )

Oh well now I have to try this

Possibly explain this image on the sub...

(The things I've seen on there, my god. There have definitely been some new animal behaviours added in the last few updates. Spoilers. Also nightmare fuel )
Record a video when you do this!

Record a video when you do this!
Haha, ok, but we have to try a mass jump down to an ocean location one day

---

May also film the current state of VR submarines...

I can’t seem to go forward, L2 makes me spin incredibly fast in a random direction. That’s all of the buttons that got a reaction,

Another patch has landed on for PC.

"We are listening closely to your feedback, and have identified and resolved a number of stability issues. "

We shall see!

That patch was just crash chasing again mainly I think. I've succumbed to Low settings :/. Flying around the planet was just too psychedlic on Medium...

On the plus side, I think I've mastered Gek

Also it's funny looking back at screenshots like this, because these damn things look so tallllll in VR.

Not like crazy tall, maybe 2 stories. But so much more looming than they look in screenshots . It's that old thing about your body providing a yardstick for what's around you. And it was sure taller than me

---

I also discovered a biological booby trap, and then wrapped my ship around a base flagpole trying to shoot it with fire. But I'm not talking about that

(Still need to work on these hand controls. Although they're kinda growing on me. And the sort of boost slide turns you can do with roll are kinda cool )

Running well enough to play, but still not a well as it was. Managed to find an almost perfect planet, marked "pleasant weather", with the only problem being aggressive sentinels. Beautiful, giant planet. It's the only planet in the system, as well.

I am officially on all low graphics. FXAA the last nod to not having sandpaper rubbed all over my face. Here is proof

Still having fun though bizarrely

Bought that ship with all my monies purely for the 2 extra slots, handy solar-powered refuelling, and slightly larger pew-n-move numbers. But mainly for the looks

For some reason I enjoyed this chain of minor events in particular:
  • Follow the story to the next system and a pretty twilight planet.
  • Chat Gek at the Market before jetpacking out to check a dell of luminance I saw on the way in.
  • Get distracted by a chain of buried building blueprints.
  • Snag loads of ores & fauna snaps along the way, figuring I'll sell them in the next system for profits
  • Find one of the Exosuit upgrade booths the story banged on about. Get excited.
  • Realise the kit is broken and needs antimatter to repair.
  • I've just used all my mats to make hyperspace juice...
  • Fly around between various safe landing points scouring pilot's pockets for what I need, until I realise there's a copper seam right behind the booth...
  • Make antimatter. Rejoice!
  • Realise there are actually two more Exosuit bits that need repairing, which I didn't see due to the VR info page merging with the scenery...
  • I can do one easy, the other needs... cobalt silicate, or some such 'rare' thing.
  • Right I'm going to do this if it kills me. This is my mission. This kit must be rad...
  • Start pondering whether to build the blueprint item I bought randomly once to assemble the uber mining laser to be able to mine the giant crystals that...
  • Ok hell they sell cobalt at the threadbare market. I can cook that up. Sortedddd.
  • Get single Exosuit slot. Just like from a normal booth that only charges nanites. God damn....

All strangely involving despite being kinda prosaic. Just prosaic stuff while not dying on a lurid space planet

Other stuff included hiding in clouds to avoid the space fuzz (which woulda meant death for my new ride I suspect), and general flying upside down over mountains and watching spaceships land gracefully. Which is strangely lovely, even though they're pixel-y. (Also amusing when they get taken out by a suddenly rendering bit of mountain )

---

VR TLDR:

- The scan view is really cool to engage ('clicking' a button on the side of your head), and almost entirely non-functional . It genuinely tags things 45 degrees to the left of what I'm aiming at. And that's with a clear view. Looks cool though
- The interaction grab function feels as straightforward and practical as moving a metal ball with telekinesis.
-It's fuzzy as all **** right now, and not unlike being inside a tumble dryer at points.
- I really like it despite all that
- (I'm not sure I could really recommend it in this state though :/)

A couple of quick screenies before I hit the sack.

The first is a bit before Beyond hit, when I ran across my first portal.

Second is from this evening, inside a deserted space station in a blue system; spooky as hell in there!

Just getting my feet wet in star systems other than yellow.

My very first green system, the first planet I scan is labeled "Paradise Planet." Alas, the system is was uninhabited, so while the planet makes for a nice relaxing stroll, I don't see myself planting roots there, as there just isn't much to do there, and I already have sources for the resources on that planet.

The first blue system I warped to (actually it looks more of an indigo once I was in-system), looks to be abandoned. That screen from above is from the interior of the space station, which is overgrown with alien material. I am looking for a planet or moon to set up an Indium extraction base on, as I plan on that being a primary source for income moving forward. Sadly, the planet that contains Indium in this system is a boiling planet, so I don't think I will be setting up shop there.

This game just keeps getting cooler, as more and more varied landscapes continue to emerge.

This game just keeps getting cooler, as more and more varied landscapes continue to emerge.
There was always a rumour that the proc gen oddness ramps up the closer you get to the core. Not sure if that's true, but they def seem to layer in more variety / difficulty as you get some jumps under your belt for sure.

I'm loving the possibilities spreading out in front of me to be honest . So much newer stuff I haven't played with, reworked systems to learn, and so many potential objectives and ways to get beautifully lost . Think this is def gonna be my game for a long while now. I'm just gonna be forum grazing while I'm away, & hoping the patches keep coming. (If the frames get reliable enough I'll probably start a new Survival run too. Full multiplay options, and bonus immersive panic )

I hear that. My biggest complaint so far is how often I get completely sidetracked, forgetting I had a goal in mind when I first logged in.

Oh, and why is it that when I link 4 storage containers to my grid with wiring, do only two of them get power? Grid is reading plenty of juice...what gives??

I hear that. My biggest complaint so far is how often I get completely sidetracked, forgetting I had a goal in mind when I first logged in.
It's a good problem to have . The launch version was way more curtailed in every gameplay slice. Now it feels like each pastime has some fun wrinkles and a touch of bredth, and that they overlap more easily at points too. Easy to get caught in an accidental causal chain . Doesn't hurt that the locations are often daftly distracting too

Oh, and why is it that when I link 4 storage containers to my grid with wiring, do only two of them get power? Grid is reading plenty of juice...what gives??
It's all Gek to me still.

I'm trying to avoid scummy get-rich-quick glitches and such, but this intrigued, and may help with your plans

If you want some passive income for very little effort, get the Survey upgrade for your visor on the Nexus from the multi-tool upgrade guy. Get the blueprints for the industrial harvesters and find a world with Indium (or Activated Indium if you can). Can really be anything, but Indium is pretty good. Using the Survey visor, find a power source (lightning bolt) and an Indium source (pick) of a high quality (S is better than A, etc). The power will be a few hundred units from your Indium, but you can run cables pretty far if you extend the edge of your base using any structure you place (I think I was using flowerpots). So, set up your base near the Indium, plop down some Mineral Harvesters, Storage Silos, and probably a teleporter. You can daisy-chain them with power and storage pipeline and it will still work. Next, start running power cable to your power source - using whatever structure to extend the range of your base - and set up a few Eletrostatic Generators. Wire them up to your grid and you should be able to see your portal light up in the distance.

This took me about an hour to setup and cost maybe 500k units in resources:

---

PS:

The biggest bugs I keep reading about all involve the Nexus and multiplayer. Lots of glitch deaths & cred wipes. Tread wary of that place for now