Looking for New Director recommendations

Tools    

You're welcome. De Sica has more.. I didn't bother mentioning a few movies of his I didn't like... I rated the first two at 9/10, and then 8.5/10, and all the way down to 7/10 - which is still good for me!

-Miracle in Milan

-A Brief Vacation
-The Children Are Watching
-The Last Judgement

-Marriage Italian Style (many seem to think this started a new comedic movement.. Sophie Loren and Marcello Mastroainni made many movies with De Sica)
-Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow
-The Boom
-The Garden of the Finzi-Continis

As for Capra, did you see:
-Mr. Deeds Goes To Town
-You Can't Take It With You!

I'm almost embarrassed to say I have not seen any of the films on this list. I have seen It's a wonderful life

You might like Michelangelo Antonioni. As director, he did several films in English, my favorite being Blow-up, followed later by Zabriskie Point, and The Passenger.

His pacing and use of silence, which allows for experiencing ambient sounds, was the best of its kind. Very absorbing atmospheres.

~Doc

Zabriskie Point; I haven't seen that movie in decades. That is the one with the Pink Floyd soundtrack, the hippie orgy in the desert and the blowing stuff up at the end, right?

Zabriskie Point; I haven't seen that movie in decades. That is the one with the Pink Floyd soundtrack, the hippie orgy in the desert and the blowing stuff up at the end, right?
Yes, that's right. ZP should be an SJW's dream..

Woody Allen is a pedophille
I've seen Mr. Hulot's Holiday and the one about the post office de fette?
Those are his first two and I think they pale in comparison to his latest work. All of his other films except for those two are in color and that allows him to focus a lot more on visual beauty, set design, and shot composition, which I believe are his strongest qualities.

Any director who likes to make you think. Especially if their stories follow an absurd line of reasoning.or Dark Comedy. (an eclectic group to say the least)

Who would you recommend?
It sounds like you would like the films of Todd Solondz. Start with 'Wiener dog' - it's absurdist comedy. Then go to 'Happiness' which is dark, dark, dark, dark comedy.

Seen any Jim Jarmusch? Coffee and Cigarettes and Night on Earth might float your boat.

It sounds like you would like the films of Todd Solondz. Start with 'Wiener dog' - it's absurdist comedy. Then go to 'Happiness' which is dark, dark, dark, dark comedy.

Seen any Jim Jarmusch? Coffee and Cigarettes and Night on Earth might float your boat.

Thanks.
I have seen the two Jarmusch you have suggested. Will check out Solondz

Those are his first two and I think they pale in comparison to his latest work. All of his other films except for those two are in color and that allows him to focus a lot more on visual beauty, set design, and shot composition, which I believe are his strongest qualities.

Didn't he do the Mon Uncle series. I know Depardiue is in one of those and I like him.

thank you

There's this Indian director called Anurag Kashyap, his work has brought Indian cinema leagues ahead, especially No Smoking and Gangs of Wasseypur are worth a watch.

There's also Shyam Benegal, a very important Indian filmmaker.