Looking for New Director recommendations

Tools    

I've seen "When We Were Young" and "Margot at the Wedding". They were okay but not one to add to my list. I do want to see "Greenberg" however.
You might want to check out The Squid and the Whale and The Meyerwitz Stories (New and Selected)

I recognize his name, and the titles of his movies, but have not checked him out yet. Which would you recommend as an intro? Would that be Blow Up?
Most definitely, Diehl. IMO It's one of the better films from the Hippie '60s. I'd be curious to hear what you think of it.

Especially if their stories follow an absurd line of reasoning.or Dark Comedy.
Yorgos Lanthimos, Dogtooth, The Lobster, The Favourite, etc

With Antonioni I might recommend you start with La Notte given the other directors you listed style and Mastroianni being the lead the year after La Dolce Vita.

I would have to assume you are well aware of The Coen Brothers, David Fincher, Wes Anderson, Kubrick, Polanski, and Herzog.

I don't know how far you have dug into the filmography of Robert Altman but he is one of the greats. Stylistically most identifiable for his unique overlapping dialogue and capturing improvisational acting. His most famous and accessible films are probably MASH, Nashville, The Player, Short Cuts, and maybe Gosford Park. Those are all great films, but he has a long list of greats and oddities and even his films that don't entirely work are usually mesmerizing and interesting. Two of his absolute masterpieces in my book are The Long Goodbye and McCabe & Mrs. Miller.

I like Altman. I really like Mash, The Player, and Cookies Fortune will look at the others

I would have to assume you are well aware of The Coen Brothers, David Fincher, Wes Anderson, Kubrick, Polanski, and Herzog.

I don't know how far you have dug into the filmography of Robert Altman but he is one of the greats. Stylistically most identifiable for his unique overlapping dialogue and capturing improvisational acting. His most famous and accessible films are probably MASH, Nashville, The Player, Short Cuts, and maybe Gosford Park. Those are all great films, but he has a long list of greats and oddities and even his films that don't entirely work are usually mesmerizing and interesting. Two of his absolute masterpieces in my book are The Long Goodbye and McCabe & Mrs. Miller.

I like most of the Coen Brothers films, I'm not sure about Anderson. I kinda categorize the movies of his that I have seen as near misses. I still need to watch Budapest Hotel. I like Kubrick. I could easily list Dr. Strangelove and Clockwork Orange in the same breath as those above. I thought Lolita was okay, and not crazy about fullmetal jacket. good recs

While we're on the subject of Welles though, I highly recommend The Trial, The Magnificent Ambersons and The Stranger.

The Stranger has one of my all-time favorite performances. Orson Welles is legitimately frightening in his role.

If the Stranger is the same as the book by Camus your dead on I love Camus. I suspect I would like the trial also. Is that the same story as Kafka's.

I have seen Magnificent Ambersons, and I would say the same as the other Welles pictures I have seen.

I would say the same thing about the few I have seem. He plays it to safe.
Rushmoore and Tenenbaums were enough of that style(helped a lot by Murray and Hackman in excellent form) for me, no need to watch anymore.

I spose I might give Budapest Hotel a try one of these days given the praise it keeps getting but I'll need to work myself up to it.

Rushmoore and Tenenbaums were enough of that style(helped a lot by Murray and Hackman in excellent form) for me, no need to watch anymore.

I spose I might give Budapest Hotel a try one of these days given the praise it keeps getting but I'll need to work myself up to it.

It seems we agree on this one

This is my list so far. Keep em coming. Anybody else fishing for new directors?

My list so far:
Noah Baumbach- Greenberg, The Squid and the Whale, The Meyerwiz Stories
Orson Welles- The Stranger, The Trial
Michelangelo Antanioni- Blow Up, Zabriskie Point
Luis Bunuel- Obscure Object of Desire
Dreyer- Ordet
Kelly Reichardt- Night Moves
Yorgos - Dogtooth, The Lobster I have seen the favorite
Altman- McCabe and Mrs Miller and The Long Goodbye

This is my list so far. Keep em coming. Anybody else fishing for new directors?

My list so far:
Noah Baumbach- Greenberg, The Spider and the Whale, The Meyerwiz Stories
Orson Welles- The Stranger, The Trial
Michelangelo Antanioni- Blow Up, Zabriskie Point
Luis Bunuel- Obscure Object of Desire
Dreyer- Ordet
Kelly Reichardt- Night Moves
Yorgos - Dogtooth, The Lobster I have seen the favorite
Altman- McCabe and Mrs Miller and The Long Goodbye
Nice list! This is a good thread idea. When you watch these movies, maybe you could post your thoughts in this thread. I'd be interested in your reactions to these movies. I'm sure others would too.

BTW, Have you seen Kelly Reichhardt's Wendy and Lucy If not I highly recommend it.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Vittorio De Sica
-Bicycle Thieves
-Umberto D
-Shoeshine
-Il Tetto
-Sunflower
-Two Women

Robert Bresson, Luchino Visconti, John Cassavetes, Ingmar Bergman, Ken Loach, Frank Capra, Ingmar Bergman, John Huston, Akira Kurosawa, Mike Leigh, Robert Altman

If the Stranger is the same as the book by Camus your dead on I love Camus. I suspect I would like the trial also. Is that the same story as Kafka's.

I have seen Magnificent Ambersons, and I would say the same as the other Welles pictures I have seen.
The Stranger is not based on the Camus book, but rather on a story from Victor Trivas. It's a very dark picture, with outstanding work as a Nazi fugitive by Welles, who also directed.

But yes, Welles' film of The Trial was based upon Kafka's novel of the same name. It was a very avant-garde for it's time in 1962. I saw it with a hangover, which I wouldn't recommend...

~Doc

Woody Allen is a pedophille
Since you seem to like directors that focus in comedy, surrealism, and minimalism I highly recommend Jacques Tati, especially his films Mon Oncle (1958), Playtime (1967), and Traffic (1971). Watching them in that order should be a good way to introduce yourself to his very unique style.

Nice list! This is a good thread idea. When you watch these movies, maybe you could post your thoughts in this thread. I'd be interested in your reactions to these movies. I'm sure others would too.

BTW, Have you seen Kelly Reichhardt's Wendy and Lucy If not I highly recommend it.

Not seen any of her? movies. Looking forward to it. I'd be interested in others listing Directors that they follow

Since you seem to like directors that focus in comedy, surrealism, and minimalism I highly recommend Jacques Tati, especially his films Mon Oncle (1958), Playtime (1967), and Traffic (1971). Watching them in that order should be a good way to introduce yourself to his very unique style.

I've seen Mr. Hulot's Holiday and the one about the post office de fette?

I've seen Bicycle Theif and recognize Two Women and Umberto D as films I should see. Thank You
I like the Capra I have seen very much
I've already mentioned Bergman

Vittorio De Sica
-Bicycle Thieves
-Umberto D
-Shoeshine
-Il Tetto
-Sunflower
-Two Women

Robert Bresson, Luchino Visconti, John Cassavetes, Ingmar Bergman, Ken Loach, Frank Capra, Ingmar Bergman, John Huston, Akira Kurosawa, Mike Leigh, Robert Altman

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I've seen Bicycle Theif and recognize Two Women and Umberto D as films I should see. Thank You
I like the Capra I have seen very much
I've already mentioned Bergman
You're welcome. De Sica has more.. I didn't bother mentioning a few movies of his I didn't like... I rated the first two at 9/10, and then 8.5/10, and all the way down to 7/10 - which is still good for me!

-Miracle in Milan

-A Brief Vacation
-The Children Are Watching
-The Last Judgement

-Marriage Italian Style (many seem to think this started a new comedic movement.. Sophie Loren and Marcello Mastroainni made many movies with De Sica)
-Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow
-The Boom
-The Garden of the Finzi-Continis

As for Capra, did you see:
-Mr. Deeds Goes To Town
-You Can't Take It With You!