Citizen's Top 62, 1930s Actors & Actresses

Tools    

The Three Musketeers is actually on youtube
Thank you Ed - just rechecked and it appears you are correct, due to the nature of the upload and initial frames I mistakenly assumed it would be some sort of dubbed Russian language presentation of the fillum but it's actually subtitled. Ah well, no matter my lack of intelligence I am at least trying to participate - I shall give it a re-squint today

edit: for anybody else interested (if anybody aside from Ed and myself is actually watching anything that is) the intertitles on this YT one are all in cyrillic language and the copy does suffer from a few instances of missing frames but it's watchable and a fun enough romp.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Thank you Ed - just rechecked and it appears you are correct, due to the nature of the upload and initial frames I mistakenly assumed it would be some sort of dubbed Russian language presentation of the fillum but it's actually subtitled. Ah well, no matter my lack of intelligence I am at least trying to participate - I shall give it a re-squint today

edit: for anybody else interested (if anybody aside from Ed and myself is actually watching anything that is) the intertitles on this YT one are all in cyrillic language and the copy does suffer from a few instances of missing frames but it's watchable and a fun enough romp.
that is good to hear. Was trying to find some time to check it out.

I'm going to post two more entries in my first ever countdown, hope you'll stick around to see them
As long as you've been a member here, Citizen, you've never done a countdown before?

Watched another 30s Richard Colman outing today - The Light That Failed .... as the lead he's mainly decent in it but imo the accolades for this one undoubtedly belong to Ida Lupino (who surely has to be on this list at some point so I've already got this one in the bag lol). Just thought I'd mention it and by way of doing so handily bump the thread.

By the way @Citizen Rules - any chance you could add a list in the first post of those actors and actresses who have shown up thus far (in much the same way as the site-wide countdowns do) ... I think it would be helpful to those that might not be participating now but might later use this as an aide for any 30s watching they might do.

Watched another 30s Richard Colman outing today - The Light That Failed .... as the lead he's mainly decent in it but imo the accolades for this one undoubtedly belong to Ida Lupino (who surely has to be on this list at some point so I've already got this one in the bag lol). Just thought I'd mention it and by way of doing so handily bump the thread.

By the way @Citizen Rules - any chance you could add a list in the first post of those actors and actresses who have shown up thus far (in much the same way as the site-wide countdowns do) ... I think it would be helpful to those that might not be participating now but might later use this as an aide for any 30s watching they might do.
Hey Chyp thanks for the bump I really need to get back to this countdown. And I haven't forgot it, it's just that work has been all consuming. In fact I have like a few more minutes and I have to hit the ole grinding wheel!

Good idea about the actors/actresses list on the 1st page, I will do I haven't heard of The Light That Failed, I'll have to see that for Ida Lupino. Right now I don't remember if she is on my list or not? It's been that long since I looked at it. She's certainly note worthy, it just depends on her work in the 1930s. I guess we'll both be surprised to find out

My #25 Favorite 30's Actress is

Loretta Young

According to her bio: "Sweet, sweeter, sweetest. No combination of terms better describes the screen persona of lovely Loretta Young. But behind the glamor and stardom is a woman of substance whose true beauty lies in her dedication to her family, her faith, and her quest to live life with a purpose."

She had a secret 'love' child with Clark Gable. This was rumored for years but never admitted to by Loretta, instead she claimed her daughter was adopted. Later the truth came up posthumously, in Loretta's memoirs when she admitted the true origins of her child. We even know the movie that the two stars were making when the child was conceived, Call of the Wild (1935). A controversy still surrounds that event today.

Anyway, I always like Loretta Young, a beauty with a lot of class!

Filmography Biography

Some of my favorite 1930s films of hers are:

Midnight Mary (1933)

Call of the Wild (1935)

The Crusades (1935)

Café Metropole (1937)

Platinum Blonde (1931)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
My #25 Favorite 30's Actress is

Loretta Young

Filmography Biography

I've only seen a few of Loretta Young's movies from the 1930s, but it's been a while, so I'll probably rewatch these two movies, and her movies that you recommended, before the countdown.

Platinum Blonde (1931)

Born to Be Bad (1934) - Sadly, this is one of my least favorite Cary Grant movies.

Hey, would you believe it Loretta Young was in The Stolen Jools so I've already checked this one off and can just go down the pub for a few pints now

Seriously though, I watched Café Metropole earlier this month - plot is a little flimsy but it's a nice easy watch with decent performances. I'm hoping to get a few more of hers in before the countdown, depending on availability of course so I'll report back as and when I do.

And I should add my most humble and sincere apologies to @gbgoodies as of course there are at least a triumvirate of us watching fare for both this thread and the 30s countdown. I can assure I have firmly chastised the aberrant memory cell responsible for such a glaring and unforgivable omission - it most definitely will not do it again (safe to say as it's already dead lol).

Gave her Private Number an airing this morning, a little odd in it's mix of tones (and undertones) but an entertaining enough watch with a decent performance from Ms. Young though Mr. Rathbone plays the stand-out character in proceedings. Worth a watch for anyone considering which of her 30s works to give a look imo.

I've only seen a few of Loretta Young's movies from the 1930s, but it's been a while, so I'll probably rewatch these two movies, and her movies that you recommended, before the countdown.

Platinum Blonde (1931)

Born to Be Bad (1934) - Sadly, this is one of my least favorite Cary Grant movies.
I've seen Platinum Blonde I should add that to the list, good movie. Jean Harlow is pretty good in that one too. I've never seen the Cary Grant film, that I know of?

Hey, would you believe it Loretta Young was in The Stolen Jools so I've already checked this one off and can just go down the pub for a few pints now
Ha! I swear just about every actor/actress that I looked up for this countdown has been in The Stolen Jools.

Gave her Private Number an airing this morning, a little odd in it's mix of tones (and undertones) but an entertaining enough watch with a decent performance from Ms. Young though Mr. Rathbone plays the stand-out character in proceedings. Worth a watch for anyone considering which of her 30s works to give a look imo.
Gosh, I hope I remembered Basil Rathbone for this countdown? I usually like his roles. I'll have to check out Private Number, I'm pretty sure I never seen that one.

Haven't been posting in here much because i haven't seen anything of most of these. Loretta Young is another i haven't seen anything by, but i do have a film on my watchlist i've heard good things about that's not on your mentioned films: Heroes For Sale. Heard it's very cynical and politically brave for its time, guess i'll have to watch it and find out why.

Gosh, I hope I remembered Basil Rathbone for this countdown? I usually like his roles. I'll have to check out Private Number, I'm pretty sure I never seen that one.
There'll be a rather large Tsk tsk! coming from this direction if you have missed him off

j/k - it's your list

I've not heard of that one, but not surprised as she made an insane amount of films in the 1930s. How many? I don't know, but there's like this long list of movies of hers. Mostly I haven't seen them, but unusually they put her in decent films.

58 according to Letterboxd, some of those could be short films though.

Heroes For Sale is from William Wellman who made Wings and The Ox Bow Incident that i know you're a fan of, so i'd say it's worth checking out. Don't think i've heard of any of the other actors in it, it's blurb on Letterboxd:

The saga of honorable man Tom Holmes, whose Great War heroics earn fame and a medal for someone else, and his wounds result in morphine addiction and a string of challenges and tragedies.
Sounds kinda like Best Years of Our Lives.

Another 30s movie ticked off for me ..... Three Blind Mice - a comedy romance that was never gonna set the world alight but is a pleasant enough watch with Ms. Young giving a nice enough performance as the lead, ably supported by both David Niven (who possibly won't appear on these lists) and Joel McCrae (who I suspect might well do).

My #24 Favorite 1930's Actor is

Mickey Rooney

Filmography Biography

At only 5'2" Mickey Rooney was a powerhouse and apparently a ladies man, having been married 8 times! including Ava Gardner! Not to bad for the kid who started out in teen movies with a young Judy Garland. Mickey had a long and successful career with 336 acting credits including 4 TV shows later in life... and he was a pretty good musician too.

Some of my favorite 1930s movies of his are:

A Midsummer Night's Dream (1935) a movie version of
William Shakespeare's work, and is light and whimsical as you might expect. Even if you aren't into the classics, this is a good one! And was Mickey's big break through film.

Captains Courageous (1937) a great film, though Mickey has a very small role in it.

A Family Affair (1937) the first of many of his Andy Hardy films.

Boys Town (1938)

Babes in Arms (1939) With a young Judy Garland.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mickey Rooney.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	40886