Luis' thoughts on 2017 theatrical releases

→ in
Tools    

Rings was abysmal from what I saw of it (I couldn't manage more than 35 minutes!) Liked GOTG2, not as good as the first but still decent fun. I really liked A Cure for Wellness as well and that was something of a pleasant surprise.

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Rings was abysmal from what I saw of it (I couldn't manage more than 35 minutes!) Liked GOTG2, not as good as the first but still decent fun. I really liked A Cure for Wellness as well and that was something of a pleasant surprise.
You walked out of Rings?! Lucky you. I had to sit through everything, and i definitely had fun with GOTG2 I just wished it could've been better with the story elements

23. Cars 3

Release Date: June 16
While the Cars franchise is easily the worst thing to come out of the studio's track record, this movie was pretty good following the abomination of the second film. While nowhere near close Pixar's best work, it gets points for actually trying to craft a story with care.
GRADE - 73/100

24. Despicable Me 3

Release Date: June 30
This movie is highly forgettable. I remember having a good time at the theater and thinking it was fun and all, but it was just missing thematic substance to make it a special animated movie like the first two.
GRADE - 69/100

25. Spiderman: Homecoming

Release Date: July 7
I thought this was fantastic. It combined great elements from comic book films and coming-of-age stories and breathed new life into it by placing it in a high school setting. The way they handled the character of Peter Parker was flawless and the villain was also (surprisingly) handled fantastically well.
GRADE - 89/100

26. Baby Driver

Release Date: June 28
This film floored me. Amazing action sequences, great central story, the character of Baby is fantastic, mentioning the fantastic soundtrack in this movie is pretty much an obvious at this point. Edgar Wright has made one of the best of the year. Definitely in my Top 4 of the year so far. I don't know how it will hold up come Oscar season, but this movie is special!
GRADE - 94/100

27. The Mummy

Release Date: June 9
Some cool action scenes were not enough to save this poorly constructed, boring, cheaply written, hollywood cash grab. What a waste of a perfectly good Tom Cruise.
GRADE - 35/100

28. Going in Style

Release Date: April 7
Cute. This is not going to go down as a gem, but if you have some time and you want to be charmed and entertained, this movie does the job. Just the fact that three of the most iconic Hollywood actors share the same screen is enough for encouragement. Michael Kane driving Morgan Freeman on a shopping cart is still hilarious.
GRADE - 70/100

29. Gifted

Release Date: April 7
The best thing this movie offers is exemplary performances from its two leads. Other than that, the movie is sweet, to the point, and entertaining. It won't have a lasting impact, but it was worth the watch.
GRADE - 70/100

30. Girl's Trip

Release Date:July 21
I've been beyond dissapointed with the "crude comedies" we've been getting these last few years. But this one is hilarious. I laughed out loud consistently, the characters are handled adequately, and it has a surprising amount of mature depth that I normally wouldn't expect from a movie like this. I was shocked at how good this was.
GRADE - 80/100

31. The Big Sick

Release Date: July 14
Top 5 of the year contender for me. This movie does a commendable job combining dramatic elements with a comedic script. It also has a very well realized and intelligent exploration of interpersonal connections and how different cultures can affect these. Hilarious and heartwarming. My favorite screenplay of 2017 (as of Sep. 26)
GRADE - 88/100

32. War for the Planet of the Apes

Release Date: July 14
I'm tempted to call this a masterpiece. Definitely my favorite movie of the year as of now. What can I say? I thought this was exemplary storytelling. Not only does this movie succeed in bringing the fantastic character arc of Caesar to emotional extremes and powerful places, but it takes the character arc and uses it to fuel the rest of the movie. The visuals were outstanding, the story was powerful. It's just a breathtaking movie in my opinion.
GRADE - 97/100

33. Dunkirk

Release Date: July 21
While I like my war movies with character, I understand what Nolan was going for, and he succeeded. It won't get a rewatch from me anytime soon but the technical aspects of this film were a treat to watch and appreciate. Definitely not my favorite Nolan film, but a worthy entry to his filmography.
GRADE - 75/100

34. Everything, Everything

Release Date: May 19
Sweet film. It doesn't do absolutely anything to stand out as a memorable or great film, but it also uses its resources to tell a perfectly ok story. While very predictable, I didn't mind watching this.
GRADE - 68/100

35. The Dark Tower

Relase Date: July 31
I saw this literally two months ago and I cant remember anything. I just remember how boring, by the numbers, and torturous this was.
GRADE - 30/100

36. Anabelle: Creation

Relase Date: August 9
Great direction, great cinematography, great acting, great tension, mediocre scares. I feel like this movie has really good suspenseful moments, but when it comes to the payoff, it just falls short. Great story for a 2017 horror film, great characters. Final act felt repetitive and a bit tiring.
GRADE - 70/100

37. Baywatch

Release Date: May 25
The only reason I'm not completely trashing this movie is because it genuinely entertained me. However, this fails as a comedy horrendously. it fails as a crime film, and it fails as an action film. I normally don't like to use childish terms like "dumb" when criticizing movies, but this one is just dumb.
GRADE - 50/100

Dunkirk is my fave of the year and my fave Nolan. I can't wait to see it again. War and Big Sick were both very sid and enjoyable times at the theater. I missed Gifted but it looks like just the kind of shlock I go for so I will catch up with it before the end of the year.

Dunkirk is my fave of the year and my fave Nolan. I can't wait to see it again. War and Big Sick were both very sid and enjoyable times at the theater. I missed Gifted but it looks like just the kind of shlock I go for so I will catch up with it before the end of the year.
Yeah that seems to be the general consensus towards Dunkirk, it's kinda upsetting that I didn't love at as much as others, but hey what can you do.

9. Power Rangers

Release Date: March 22
Enjoyable film. Nothing about it is great, yet nothing about it is horrible. If you have time to watch a 2 hour film that you might enjoy for visual noise and good enough characters, you can go a lot worse than this.
GRADE - 60/100

10. Ghost in the Shell

Release Date: March 16
Honestly, if it wasn't for the amazing visuals I would've gone insane at the movie theater. Poorly structured, forgettable plot, poor execution of an otherwise interesting concept, and subpar action sequences.
GRADE - 40/100
The studio that made Power Rangers did so because the Divergent series was loosing money. They were going to make a fourth Divergent film, because the first two did well, but the third one did so poorly that they abandoned the franchise and did Power Rangers instead. I haven't seen Power Rangers, as it interests me about as much as stepping on a rusty nail.

Please tell me you've at least seen the original Ghost in the Shell movie. And please also watch Angel's Egg, Patlabor, and Avalon.

The studio that made Power Rangers did so because the Divergent series was loosing money. They were going to make a fourth Divergent film, because the first two did well, but the third one did so poorly that they abandoned the franchise and did Power Rangers instead. I haven't seen Power Rangers, as it interests me about as much as stepping on a rusty nail.

Please tell me you've at least seen the original Ghost in the Shell movie. And please also watch Angel's Egg, Patlabor, and Avalon.
I actually haven't seen the original Ghost in the Shell, but I've heard incredible things about it. I went to the movies with a friend and she decided to see GISH last minute, so I didn't have time to prep like I normally do.

38. The Hitman's Bodyguard .

Release Date: August 10
I thought this was very entertaining. Good action, good cast, good script, funny enough at parts. It's another movie I won't rewatch or think about, but the experience at the movies was solid enough.
GRADE - 68/100

39. Rough Night

Release Date: June 15
Most people trash this movie, but what can I say, I genuinely thought it was funny and it had great characters. While the execution for such a hilarious concept could've been much better, I thought this was a solid comedy.
GRADE - 65/100

40. IT

Release Date: September 8
I absolutely adore this movie. I know this got very positive reactions overall, but I don't think I've encountered someone who loves this as much as I do. I haven't seen a horror movie handled with so much care in a while. The horror elements worked, the coming-of-age themes were fantastic, I genuinely loved every single character. This is not just a great horror film, but a pivotal example of film-making and story crafting.
GRADE - 96/100

41. A Ghost Story

Release Date:July 7
Fantastic and ingenious storytelling. Commendable job of telling most of the story through visuals. It's heartwrenching and it left me riveted. This is definitely one of the hidden gems that anyone who has any appreciation for the art of storytelling should check out.
GRADE - 86/100

42. Kingsman: The Golden Circle

Release Date: September 22
There isn't much to say about this movie other than it was very enjoyable and fun to watch. While not as fresh or clever as the first, I believe it's a worthy enough sequel.
GRADE - 71/100

43. mother!

Release Date: September 15
I thought this was great! Excellent direction, outstanding performance from Jennifer Lawrence, who left me with my jaw-dropped. The first two acts do a fantastic job at combining a plot with metaphors, in the third act however, I felt like it got too reliant with metaphors and it just lost its coherence (even if it was excellently shot). I'm going to give it a high score because it takes a lot for a movie to make you ponder to the extent that I've had to with this one.
GRADE - 81/100

It was fine for me. Silly at points but I really liked the kids dynamic together. Mother was fantastic, my second favorite movie of the year. Looking forward to A Ghost Story at some pint next week when it gets released on DVD.