Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

Abandon Ship (1957)
Seven Waves Away (original title)

This is on TCM On Demand (for those who have TCM On Demand).
I stayed up last night to watch it all the way through this time.

Based on the question posed at the end: I would have voted guilty against the "Captain." I understand it was his responsibility to try to save as many as possible, but try is the operative word. Trying doesn't mean throwing the weak, old or wounded overboard (basically resorting to murder) to try to save the able bodied.

WARNING: "Spoiler" spoilers below
I liked the clip at the end where the Captain looks up at the ship and (you could tell it was coming) the people looking down from the deck are those he put overboard - and we're left to guess whether they were picked up by the ship since it was relatively nearby, or were they the spectres of his guilt. I assume the latter since some of them were in bad shape when they were put into the sea and would have been in the ship's sick bay if they'd somehow survived.

I don't think even Captain Bligh would have been this brutal - in the Bounty, when Bligh and his men are set adrift, one guy says they should eat him when he dies and Bligh says something like, "No. We'll have none of that. We've lived as men and we shall die as men, not as savages."

@Captain Steel

Abandon Ship (1957)
I liked the clip at the end where the Captain looks up at the ship and (you could tell it was coming) the people looking down from the deck are those he put overboard - and we're left to guess whether they were picked up by the ship since it was relatively nearby, or were they the spectres of his guilt. I assume the latter since some of them were in bad shape when they were put into the sea and would have been in the ship's sick bay if they'd somehow survived.
WARNING: "Ending, what I think happened" spoilers below
I l think those he put off the boat died. This is based on a real life incident and people were forced off the boat in the ocean, and it was the cold North Atlantic. They didn't survive.

Did you like the movie Captain?

@Captain Steel

Abandon Ship (1957)
WARNING: "Ending, what I think happened" spoilers below
I l think those he put off the boat died. This is based on a real life incident and people were forced off the boat in the ocean, and it was the cold North Atlantic. They didn't survive.

Did you like the movie Captain?
Sure. I still like Lifeboat also, but Abandon Ship has a much higher tension level due to the situation.

I was just thinking of one loose end in the movie - in the beginning, Holmes comes aboard a raft with a few survivors and a dog, then he swims out to get his lady, then they get picked up by the lifeboat. We never see the raft or its survivors again and it's only mentioned when Holmes tells the woman in the lifeboat that her husband is "alive and well" since he was one of the people on the raft.

I know I'm speculating now, but it seems like the crafts were close enough that they might have come together, tied on, and the men in the water could have climbed aboard the raft - but I guess they drifted apart (no way for the raft people to row, and they said that the lifeboat was too overloaded to row).

CR, you liked "Loverboy" with Patrick Demsey but have you seen "Can't Buy Me Love" with him?
I haven't seen it, I don't think I've ever heard of it. But I just looked it up and it looks like a fun 80s teen movie, so what the hey, I'll watch it Thanks MG

Classic comedy. Loved it!

Sure. I still like Lifeboat also, but Abandon Ship has a much higher tension level due to the situation.

I was just thinking of one loose end in the movie - in the beginning, Holmes comes aboard a raft with a few survivors and a dog, then he swims out to get his lady, then they get picked up by the lifeboat. We never see the raft or its survivors again and it's only mentioned when Holmes tells the woman in the lifeboat that her husband is "alive and well" since he was one of the people on the raft.

I know I'm speculating now, but it seems like the crafts were close enough that they might have come together, tied on, and the men in the water could have climbed aboard the raft - but I guess they drifted apart (no way for the raft people to row, and they said that the lifeboat was too overloaded to row).
I thought of that too. I guess one could say that by the time he go to the lifeboat the current had pulled the raft away. Buy yeah, that kind of bugged me some too.

Barton Fink (1991)

Directors: Joel Coen, Ethan Coen
Writers: Joel Coen, Ethan Coen
Cast: John Turturro, John Goodman, Judy Davis
Genre: Dark Comedy, Drama
"A renowned New York playwright is enticed to California to write for the movies and discovers the hellish truth of Hollywood."

[/center]
Loved this review and will be adding this to my watchlist.

M's a
+ for me ... love it. Shame you didn't connect better with it.

Nope, haven't seen it. That link to it on IMDB looks different than I'm use to, is it a link from a mobile?
Yes I am on my phone when at work.

Yes I am on my phone when at work.
Ahh, OK thanks, that explains why IMDB looked so different. Geez I hate it that they changed the User Reviews section and you can't sort them anymore. I use to like reading a few of the Loved It, then a few Hated It...to get a well rounded look at a movie. Now it's just stuck on one setting: Ordered by Helpfulness, which is not helpful at all I sure miss the old way of reading reviews over there.

I want to work my way through all of watching Spielberg's movies. What would you say are his other worst films? I'll still watch them, just curious.
Rules, I know you don't have TV, but I've been watching a 2017 HBO documentary simply called Spielberg. It's quite good, touching on both his career and personal life (and how that drove his career).
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt7133092/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt

At 2 hours & 27 minutes, it's pretty comprehensive.

The list of guests is impressive: everyone from his Director contemporaries (like Coppola, De Palma, Lucas, Scorsese, etc.) studio heads, actors from his movies, creators he's inspired, family members, personal friends, etc.

Interestingly, when he gets to 1941 (his first try at comedy) he says he was eviscerated by its level of failure and he acknowledges how off-the-mark it was!

Maybe you can order it - it's a good watch.

Rules, I know you don't have TV, but I've been watching a 2017 HBO documentary simply called Spielberg. It's quite good, touching on both his career and personal life (and how that drove his career).
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt7133092/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt

At 2 hours & 27 minutes, it's pretty comprehensive.

The list of guests is impressive: everyone from his Director contemporaries (like Coppola, De Palma, Lucas, Scorsese, etc.) studio heads, actors from his movies, creators he's inspired, family members, personal friends, etc.

Interestingly, when he gets to 1941 (his first try at comedy) he says he was eviscerated by its level of failure and he acknowledges how off-the-mark it was!

Maybe you can order it - it's a good watch.
I can find it.Sound good too...certainly something I'd like to watch. I'll check out and as usual, I'll post a review!

The Atomic Cafe (1982)
Directors: Jayne Loader, Kevin Rafferty
Cast: Paul Tibbets, Harry S. Truman, W.H.P. Blandy
Genre: Documentary, History

"Disturbing collection of 1940s and 1950s United States government issued propaganda films designed to reassure Americans that the atomic bomb was not a threat to their safety."

I did not howl with laughter, I don't know how anyone could after seeing this odd and true documentary film about America's 'atomic era'. The film wasn't funny, but it sure in the hell was horrifying.

The film is composed of archival footage without narration and without reenactments. It's all unfiltered and raw. It starts with some gruesome scenes of the aftermath of Hiroshima. If you've seen the movie Hiroshima Mon Amour (1952) then you probably seen some of it.

But the most horrific thing in the movie for me, was the recounting of how accused Soviet spy Ethel Rosenberg died in the electric chair. It was archival footage of one of the actual witnesses who described what he witnessed during her execution. And what she went through during the electrocution wasn't pretty, as it was a botched job. Just the fact that this tough looking guy was noticeably shaking as he talked about what he had just seen, gave me goose bumps.

Probably the best thing for me was the history lesson that comes from watching the time line of the atomic era events...Now, I know the impetus for The House Un-American Activities Committee hearings.

I'd call this a must see.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Atomic Cafe 1982 (1).jpg
Views:	301
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	40695   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Atomic Cafe 1982 (2).jpg
Views:	200
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	40697  

The Hurricane (1999)

Director: Norman Jewison
Writers: Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter & Sam Chaiton (book)
Cast: Denzel Washington, Vicellous Shannon, Deborah Kara Unger
Genre: Sport Biography Drama

"The story of Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, a boxer wrongly imprisoned for murder, and the people who aided in his fight to prove his innocence."

I loved the premise. It's a great story idea and I'm a sucker for historical movies set in the mid 20th century. As soon as I seen this was abut events in the early 60's I knew I'd like it. The fact that it's based on a true story, is something else I usually like. How true is the story? I don't know? I've never heard of this case before or the boxer named Hurricane. Actually I've never seen Denzel Washington in much either. I guess he's often in action films and I don't usually get into those. But this looked promising.

I didn't care for the direction or editing of the film. There were scenes that started to explore something promising, then it's like the director cut those scenes short before they reached they emotional peak. Even though this was 2.5 hours, most of the scenes felt rushed. An example is: Hurricane shows hatred for the three white Canadians, as he was victimized earlier in his life and he doesn't trust them, and he ask them to stop writing him. Then in like the next scene he's best friends with them. There needed to be a bridge scene that brought the audience in on his icy heart melting and learning to trust the three Canadians who were trying to help him.

Same with the evil detective that frames him, why? We never really get a strong motivation for the detective to do what he did. The detective is a mere shadow and that's too bad as we need him to be fully fleshed out in order to feel Hurricane's pain.

I felt like the movie was almost making fun of the three white Canadians, they seemed odd and so goody-goody and happy. Are they all just really good friends who hang out 24/7 or what? Why do they do what they do and why are they always together? A little explanation about them and their motivations, would have helped. But a lot of the movie was like that, we were told what was happening but we never really experience it through character development.

The only scene that really got me was the first meeting between the boy and Hurricane. That was well done. Denzel rocked his role, but I didn't like the casting choices of the other four main actors (the three adults and the kid) they all felt two dimensional.

The Hurricane (1999)

Director: Norman Jewison
Writers: Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter & Sam Chaiton (book)
Cast: Denzel Washington, Vicellous Shannon, Deborah Kara Unger
Genre: Sport Biography Drama

"The story of Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, a boxer wrongly imprisoned for murder, and the people who aided in his fight to prove his innocence."

I loved the premise. It's a great story idea and I'm a sucker for historical movies set in the mid 20th century. As soon as I seen this was abut events in the early 60's I knew I'd like it. The fact that it's based on a true story, is something else I usually like. How true is the story? I don't know? I've never heard of this case before or the boxer named Hurricane. Actually I've never seen Denzel Washington in much either. I guess he's often in action films and I don't usually get into those. But this looked promising.

I didn't care for the direction or editing of the film. There were scenes that started to explore something promising, then it's like the director cut those scenes short before they reached they emotional peak. Even though this was 2.5 hours, most of the scenes felt rushed. An example is: Hurricane shows hatred for the three white Canadians, as he was victimized earlier in his life and he doesn't trust them, and he ask them to stop writing him. Then in like the next scene he's best friends with them. There needed to be a bridge scene that brought the audience in on his icy heart melting and learning to trust the three Canadians who were trying to help him.

Same with the evil detective that frames him, why? We never really get a strong motivation for the detective to do what he did. The detective is a mere shadow and that's too bad as we need him to be fully fleshed out in order to feel Hurricane's pain.

I felt like the movie was almost making fun of the three white Canadians, they seemed odd and so goody-goody and happy. Are they all just really good friends who hang out 24/7 or what? Why do they do what they do and why are they always together? A little explanation about them and their motivations, would have helped. But a lot of the movie was like that, we were told what was happening but we never really experience it through character development.

The only scene that really got me was the first meeting between the boy and Hurricane. That was well done. Denzel rocked his role, but I didn't like the casting choices of the other four main actors (the three adults and the kid) they all felt two dimensional.

Might have to see this.. I like sports stories.. just dont watch sports overall.

Might have to see this.. I like sports stories.. just dont watch sports overall.
Ha, you and me both. I never watch sports, but the weird thing is I like sports movies.

One of my favorites I've seen recently was Prefontaine (1997) my review

Ha, you and me both. I never watch sports, but the weird thing is I like sports movies.

should I make you a list of the ones I have seen?

You can't win an argument just by being right!

LOL I'm the same. I like watching some sport but my life isnt over if, like now, the network isnt working on my tv for the australian open, but I love sport movies. Dont think I've seen that one but checking your review.