You Know, After Reading a List.....

Tools    

Of movies that are not available on DVD, I saw quite a few that I am surprised have not made the jump to the new format. It also seems that MGM is especially derelict in their release of films on the DVD format.

From Buckaroo Banzai to Blow Out to City Slickers to Eight Men Out to The Final Countdown to The Importance of Being Earnest to Inherit the Wind to It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World to The Magnificent Seven to The Producers to The Postman Always Rings Twice to Radio Days to Some Like It Hot to The Sure Thing to The Thin Man series (a personal favorite of mine, especially since my Grandmother used to swear up and down that we were related to Dashiell Hammett) to... well, that all I coudl find, none are currently available on DVD, apparently (if this list I looked at is correct). There are some fine films on this list. MGM needs to get off their duff and release these suckers.

(Of course, there are many other studios who haven't released many great films, but the number of MGM titles on this particular list caught my eye).

Some of the ones on that list are coming out this year.

MGM has had a lot of things going on here lately. They bought out Orion, won the bidding wars for a Silence of the Lambs re-release, and won a major Marilyn Monroe contract that will allow them to issue almost all of her films to DVD. They also spent the majority of the last two years getting all the James Bond films to DVD. The biggest set back for MGM right now is that most of the studios best films are classics and not in the best shape. They have to remaster hundreds of analog reels in order for a digital transfer to happen. It will take a long time, but they have hundreds of people working non-stop on the project. On a brighter note, every studio is committed to having all of their films on DVD by no later than 2004.

Movie-Fever.com | New! Movie Fever Forums

I did see some of those titles I listed on a to be released list after I posted here. So, that's good.

MGM is also at a disadvantage in that they don't have the wealth that other studios have. This is a studio that was nearly out of business at the beginning of the decade. They just aren't in the same league as a AOL Time Warner or Disney or Sony or Universal.

But they really need to get on the stick on the Buckaroo Banzai.

I did some researching just for Ryan and found out that Buckaroo Banzai was going to be released in June, but has officially been pushed back to late July early August.

Thanks for that. I didn't even know it was in the pipeline. Glad to hear it's coming relatively soon (soon enough, anyway).