"Kids in the Hall: Same guys, New Dresses"

Tools    

"The Kids in the Hall: Same Guys, New Dresses"
Just released last week, it is a must for any fan of this Canadian sketch comedy troupe.

It chronicles their 2000 North American reunion tour. I was lucky enough to see a performance live in D.C. (two solid hours of laughter - my sides literally hurt), but while this video does show portions of the stage show, what is even more impressive for us fans is the documentation of what goes on behind-the-scenes. Most of the time they all get along just fine (or well enough, anyway), but this 86-minute film also exposes some of the frictions within the group, and a big clue as to what has stalled them from making another feature film or coming together for any other major project since their TV show went off the air in 1994.

Mostly it's just funny, but the revealing aspects of the group dynamics is interesting and a rare treat to see. Dave Foley actually assemled the footage and gets directorial credit.

The DVD also boasts a commentary track with all five Kids and some special guests. Foley, Bruce McCulloch and Kevin McDonald recorded together in L.A., while Mark McKinney and Scott Thompson recorded their track in Canada (not because of any feud, just a scheduling thing). Also lending their voices for certain segments are "South Park" creators Trey Parker & Matt Stone, Mike Meyers, Jason Priestley and Andy Richter.

If you are any kind of fan of The Kids in the Hall, do yourself a favor and track down a copy of "Same Guys, New Dresses" ASAP.

*BTW The Kids in the Hall are currently touring again, with upcoming shows scheduled for Kansas City, Houston, Minneapolis, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Now With Moveable Parts
mmm...Kids in the Hall...

I LOOOOOOOOOVE them.
Thanks for the heads up Holds.

Im crushing your head! Im crushing your head!

I love this show, however it was only shown very briefly here in the UK. Anyone know if the series, or Braincandy, are due for a DVD release?

In the absence of these i will definitely buy this DVD.

Cheers Holden

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I'm not too totally sure if there is a Braincandy DVD out. If not, Paramount needs to wake up and cash in.

I think one of my favorite episodes is when some guys line up on the street to be takin to a construction job, they drop a hammer on each persons foot to see if the boots are strong enough, then they take that person, blindfold them, take them out into the country, steal their boots, and return them to the storefront where the boots were purchased. No matter how many times I see that skit, I always laugh hysterically.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy (1996) is due out on R1 DVD July 16th. No release announced yet for the series.

CANCER BOY: No, there's no hope for me.

And until the series is released, enjoy an equally brilliant sketch comedy series that is debuting on R1 DVD this year: HBO's "Mr. Show with Bob & David". Fu*kin' brilliant. It streets June 11th.

And until the series is released, enjoy an equally brilliant sketch comedy series that is debuting on R1 DVD this year: HBO's "Mr. Show with Bob & David". Fu*kin' brilliant. It streets June 11th.
Mr. Show on DVD... There is a God. We didn't get HBO for a long d*mn time, and I've missed quite a few episodes. Thanks for the ray o' sunshine!

I loved the episode (a month ago?) that dealt with that horrible joke about the travelling salesman and the three holes. And the "Swears for Cares" charity:

Bob: So that we can make little a difference.
Dave: A little "f*cking" difference!

The Kids in the Hall news is great, too, BTW. I'm just a big barrel of happy right now .

I believe the episode with Senator Tankerbell and the story of the three holes ("I'm the hated milk machine...") was the very first episode of the series. The disc set coming out in June contains the first two full seasons of "Mr. Show with Bob & David". You'll be able to catch up a lot.

And although New Line seems to be having trouble comitting to a release date, sometime soon we'll get Bob & David's first effort for the big screen: Run Ronnie Run!, based on the Ronnie Dobbs character created for "Mr. Show". But like the Kids in the Hall film, I'm sure the main plot will largely be an excuse to add on dozens of other characters and delightful sidetracks.

With all this excelent Bob & David stuff coming, I feel like a member of the Car Wash Change Thief Action Squad! It's pumpkin-inny!

I'm very interested in Run Ronnie Run, although I have worries. But all the great people who have small roles/cameo roles: Jack Black (o' course), Dave Foley, Trey Parker & Matt Stone, Andy Richter (his new show is funny as h*ll), and R. Lee Ermey...

With a cast like that, and with Bob and Dave at the center, it's got to be something, right?

The best thing that's come out of Mr. Show so far is Tenacious D, Jack Black and Kyle Gass's acoustic heavy metal duo. Jack Black is a frickin' genius: "With karate I'll kick your @ss... You broke the rules, now I'll pull out all your pubic hair..."

The CD they put out is really good, funny stuff, but I like the show versions of the songs better .

Hello,

I want to purchase some clothes for 0-5 years babies to donate it to an orphanage.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Hello,

I want to purchase some clothes for 0-5 years babies to donate it to an orphanage.
And?

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
odd. I don't remember that line from any Kids In the Hall skits.

o.O

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear