Film Noir HoF III

Tools    

I had 3 possible candidates for this, but ultimately went with one I felt deserved to have more recognition.
The other two I considered? They Drive by Night and Cape Fear (1962 version)
In the end, I chose one I had seen more recently as opposed to the other two which I hadn’t seen in awhile.
Hopefully I can nominate They Drive by Night at a later HOF
Both would've been interesting as They Drive by Night because it's a proto-noir and Cape Fear (1962) is a Neo Noir. I considered so many different noirs that finally I said I'll just go with a favorite which was going to be my nom in the 22nd HoF.

Wow very happy with those nom's I actually own

Le Corbeau
LA Confidential
Double Indemnity
Spellbound
The Third Man

and I have Asphalt Jungle on my DVR

Rankings are going to be very hard for me because I adore these films.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Murder, My Sweet (1944) Directed by Edward Dmytryk Nominated by Cosmic Runaway A GREAT Det. Philip Marlowe film! Looking forward to rewatch of this.

The Stranger (1946) Directed by Orson Welles Nominated by Wyldesyde A great little slow burn that really picks up in the end.

Crossfire (1947)Directed by Edward Dmytryk Nominated by Frightened Inmate Looks familiar but can't honestly remember if I've seen this.

Double Indemnity (1944) Directed by Billy Wilder Nominated by John-Connor Seen this a number of times, will happily see it again

L.A. Confidential (1997) Directed by Curtis Hanson Nominated by Ahwell Can't even count how many times I've seen this, it's pretty much memorized, but - ANY reason to watch it again is alright by me

Le Corbeau (1943) Directed by Henri Georges Clouzot Nominated by Siddon aka The (EDIT) Raven is something I've been curious to see since it showed up on the 40's Countdown list and now I get to!

The Asphalt Jungle (1950) Directed by John Huston Nominated by Edarsenal This one is mine, a gritty situation with untrustworthy people.

Spellbound (1945) Directed by Alfred Hitchcock Nominated by Neiba A great pairing of Bergman and Peck; will be a great rewatch

The Big Heat (1953)Directed by Fritz Lang Nominated by Citizen Rules been far too long since I've seen this one. Get to remedy that.

The Third Man (1949) Directed by Carol Reed Nominated by GulfportDoc HUGE fan of this one. Especially cinematography.

Oh man, should I join? I may have seen like two or three of these but it's been so long ago that I'm not even sure. Many of the names are familiar though so I guess this would a good "101 of Film Noir" for me.

Give me couple of hours to think about it. Oh. and I even have a nom that should actually keep up the assumed high quality (and no underaged nudity!)

Murder, My Sweet (1944) Directed by Edward Dmytryk Nominated by Cosmic Runaway A GREAT Det. Philip Marlowe film! Looking forward to rewatch of this.

The Stranger (1946) Directed by Orson Welles Nominated by Wyldesyde A great little slow burn that really picks up in the end.

Crossfire (1947)Directed by Edward Dmytryk Nominated by Frightened Inmate Looks familiar but can't honestly remember if I've seen this.

Double Indemnity (1944) Directed by Billy Wilder Nominated by John-Connor Seen this a number of times, will happily see it again

L.A. Confidential (1997) Directed by Curtis Hanson Nominated by Ahwell Can't even count how many times I've seen this, it's pretty much memorized, but - ANY reason to watch it again is alright by me

Le Corbeau (1943) Directed by Henri Georges Clouzot Nominated by Siddon aka The Crow is something I've been curious to see since it showed up on the 40's Countdown list and now I get to!

The Asphalt Jungle (1950) Directed by John Huston Nominated by Edarsenal This one is mine, a gritty situation with untrustworthy people.

Spellbound (1945) Directed by Alfred Hitchcock Nominated by Neiba A great pairing of Bergman and Peck; will be a great rewatch

The Big Heat (1953)Directed by Fritz Lang Nominated by Citizen Rules been far too long since I've seen this one. Get to remedy that.

The Third Man (1949) Directed by Carol Reed Nominated by GulfportDoc HUGE fan of this one. Especially cinematography.

It's The Raven...and I am very interested in seeing how this fairs with this line-up. It's a very different noir film, but I love it it's my favorite Clouzot film that he made during Nazi-occupied France

Oh man, should I join? I may have seen like two or three of these but it's been so long ago that I'm not even sure. Many of the names are familiar though so I guess this would a good "101 of Film Noir" for me.

Give me couple of hours to think about it. Oh. and I even have a nom that should actually keep up the assumed high quality (and no underaged nudity!)
You should join

Anyone can join for the next 7 days. I'd love to see even more great noms and we have 10 great ones now, but an even dozen would be sweet.

And this is any year noir & any country too.

It's The Raven...and I am very interested in seeing how this fairs with this line-up. It's a very different noir film, but I love it it's my favorite Clouzot film that he made during Nazi-occupied France
THANK YOU
I remember it being one or the other, and I even ran it through one of those translation apps and IT said Crow lol

As expected, we have an excellent selection of nominations and I'm definitely looking forward to starting this Hall of Fame.

Murder, My Sweet (1944) - This is the kind of film I always used to imagine when I thought about the genre, even before I had seen many noirs. I wasn't going to rewatch this one in preparation for the HoF, but after watching another of Dmytryk's films (Obsession/The Hidden Room) I wanted to compare the two, and I'm glad I did.

Double Indemnity (1944) - An essential noir that I thought I had rewatched recently when it was nominated in another Hall of Fame, but I just checked my notes and it's been nearly 3 years since then. Here was my last write-up on the film, in case anyone wants spoilers for what I'll likely say about it this time around.

L.A. Confidential (1997) - I know I have seen this film before, but I couldn't tell you anything about it. It's going to basically be a new watch for me. I've been meaning to get around to rewatching it for awhile, so it looks like I can stop putting it off now.

The Asphalt Jungle (1950) - Yet another film I've seen but have only a vague recollection of. I recall more of it than L.A. Confidential, but that's not saying much.

The Big Heat (1953) - I love Fritz Lang, and considered another one of his films for this HoF. I'll probably rewatch this one soon, so I'll save my thoughts for my write-up, just in case.

The Third Man (1949) - For some reason I was convinced that this was nominated for a HoF around the same time that Double Indemnity was, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I don't know why I have that in my head - I even vaguely recall it being Camo's film. Did I have a strangely vivid MoFo related dream? Did I actually even rewatch this a couple of years ago? The mystery grows ever larger!

The rest of the films I don't think I've seen at all, though I've heard a lot about The Stranger and Le Corbeau and probably should've seen them both by now. At least now I'll get the chance for sure haha.

I've seen them all except, Siddon's Le Corbeau. Of the nine I have seen, all are excellent...it's hard to find a bad noir IMO I haven't seen L.A. Confidential and Murder My Sweet in along time.

The trick is not minding
I’ve seen 4 of these, am familiar with all but Le Corbeau.
I just watched Double Indemnity for the personal rec HOF so a review will up for that shortly.
I figured The Third Man would be nominated. It’s a great one and I own the criterion collection

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Glad I didn't join because I've seen all of them. Crazy lineup.
You've seen basically everything that is notable so Hall of Fames won't suit you anymore since you don't rewatch films much or don't care to.

You've seen basically everything that is notable so Hall of Fames won't suit you anymore since you don't rewatch films much or don't care to.
Yea that's the reason combined with time that I haven't been doing most, even though I always have the urge.

The Third Man (1949) - For some reason I was convinced that this was nominated for a HoF around the same time that Double Indemnity was, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I don't know why I have that in my head - I even vaguely recall it being Camo's film. Did I have a strangely vivid MoFo related dream? Did I actually even rewatch this a couple of years ago? The mystery grows ever larger!.
I felt the EXACT way! lol
Could have swore I had something written up for this from another HoF but -- nope

I did some digging in my post history, and have solved the mystery of The Third Man.

In that same HoF, Camo had nominated Odd Man Out. When I watched it, I realized I had mixed together The Third Man and Odd Man Out in my head, so I rewatched The Third Man to see how much of what I remembered of that film was correct. So I did actually watch it around the same time as Double Indemnity, and Camo was involved.

Anyways these were the other films I considered nominating....

Le Samourai(1967)
I actually watched that in preparation for this HoF. When CR mentioned a French film had been nominated, I was going to guess that it was this one haha.