coming of age movies

Tools    

Of the recent ones, Lady Bird was special. I am not huge fan of these type of movies, probably coz I have already "came of age"! But if done right, they are very good! Or just... Whateva!

Just from the last few years:

2017: LadyBird

2018: The Miseducation of Cameron Post

2019: Blinded By the Light.

Are you just listing them, not discussing what you like about them?

There is THIS recent thread where MoFos gave recommendations.

I am a sucker for the genre, always have been, probably always will be. The gold standard for me remains Peter Yates' Breaking Away (1979), but Wes Anderson's Rushmore (1997) is right up there, too. Kelly Fremon Craig's Edge of Seventeen (2016) is my favorite from the past few years.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Yesss Juno! Lovely little flick!

It's a pretty incredible genre. I think the best I've seen is Show Me Love.

It's a movie that so perfectly captures the pain and anguish of loneliness, being misunderstood by your parents, bullied at school, and tormented over love. And it's brilliantly artistic in its cinematography, directing, and writing.

Juno was pretty good, but there are a couple of Ellen Page coming of age movies that I think were much better.

The Tracey Fragments, directed by Bruce McDonald, is a warped and fractured story with some bizarre camera effects.

And probably the best movie that Ellen Page ever made was Mouth to Mouth.