Meet the Parents - If You Dare

→ in
Tools    

Hi Everyone,

I recently saw "Meet the Parents" with my brother/mother...it was hillarious!

I was worried that, since it'd been out so long, the theatre would be fairly empty - and if there's one thing that can really help to take the fun out of seeing a comedy, it's seeing it with a small group of people. Thankfully, the place had plenty of people (must be doing *REALLY* well), and the laughing got loud enough at times that I missed a couple lines in the film.

If you only watch the previews, you'd probably think this was a stereotypical "everything that can go wrong, does" kind of film...now, it IS a film where everything goes wrong for the main character, but some of it is fairly clever, and all of it is funny, even when you see it coming a mile away.

Ben Stiller is probably the one and only actor that could truly give this role what it needed - he nearly steals the show, but Robert DeNiro does a fine job as well. Stiller has found his niche as a goofy, bumbly guy who always seems to find trouble of one kind or another. And of course, he's great at switching from bumbling to angry, from angry to depressed, and then to angry again before you can blink an eye.

The best joke of the whole movie? Greg's (Stiller's) last name: Focker! I'll leave it at that so as not to spoil the jokes for you.

My ratings...

Goofiness: 8
Wittiness: 7
Feel-Good Factor: 9
Plot: 8
Cast: 10
Overall: 9

Great flick! Make sure to see it with as many people as possible - good friends, if you can manage.

Didn't see it.
Absolutely hilarious. I laughed more than I have in a while at a movie.

Yup - like I said, with a movie like this, it's vital to make sure plenty of other people are at the theatres - bring friends if possible, and make sure to grab some popcorn - this is the kind of movie made better by something like that.

I agree Chris! That movie was so funny!!!!!! It was non-stop laughs! Robert DeNiro and Ben Stiller were great!

Originally posted by TWTCommish
make sure to grab some popcorn - this is the kind of movie made better by something like that.
Isn't everything made better by popcorn??

Oh yeah....I liked MTP, too.

MovieForums Extra

LOL It's one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time! I don't think I've felt more sorry for any character since seeing Mr Bean trash Hollywood

But I gotta say, being the person that I am, the movie evoked some pretty negative feelings in me! If I were Ben Stiller's character (Gaylord...still cracks me up!), I would have told them all to go to hell halfway through the movie!! I attribute that to great acting both by De Niro and Stiller, and of course if wouldn't be anything without the support cast...

I loved MEET THE PARENTS too, but I think it's De Niro who steals the show...BTW, the name of Stiller's character in the movie is Gayorg, not Gaylord.

BTW, no it isn't. It's Gaylord.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I thought this was a new Meet the Parents sequel called "Meet the Parents - If You Dare" at first.