What Lies Beneath

→ in
Tools    

"What Lies Beneath" has been pretty strong at the box office. I still have not seen it yet, but it has been criticized by critics and moviegoers as giving away too much of the story in the trailers.

Any one out there catch this film?

-Ryan

I have yet to...but would definetly like to. Seems to have a "hitchcockian" aspect to it. And you're right: it does seem to give away alot in the trailer...I won't elaborate to spare those who havn't seen it.

I was talking to my Dad about it (he has seen it. I haven't), and he said that it really scared him, but he didn't elaborate.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
hmm, it wasn't exactly scary; it depended more on sudden surprises that you half expected but just didn't know exactly when they were gonna happen or how. can't explain more than that. wait, yes I can, i just won't take it from the movie. Like being in a room when the wind is blowing and you know the door is going to slam eventually but you just let it slide, paying attention to more prevalent things until when you've forgotten about it and turned from it it slams loud and hard and you jump.

you're freaked for a minute but you predicted it anyway; so it's not exactly being scared ...

this movie is more a lot of drawn out suspense with some moments of "thrills".

[red]SPOILERS BELOW![/red]

it worked pretty well, but the one "iffy" part was that I don't know if you're gonna buy Harrison Ford's role in it. He just doesn't seem meant for this kind of movie.
[Edited by jamesglewisf on 02-09-2001]

MovieForums Extra

I only went to see the movie after beeing hooked by the trailer and I must admit it was a catchy trailer...but seeing it a few times before the movie itself definitely spoiled the fun! I spent most of the time watching the movie for the parts that I remembered from the trailer.

As for the suspense part, I talked to a lot of people who've seen the movie, and everyone tells me that it was suspenseful from the beginning to the end...well, appart from the sudden "shocks" you get now and again (which I suspect were put in to wake the audience) there wasn't all that much suspense at all. As for the music, it definitely had a Hitchcockian ring to it, the first few bars came almost straight from the Psycho theme.

Michelle Pfeifer wasn't bad in the role, but I definitely have my doubts about Harrison Ford, not because he's a bad actor, but because he didn't get all that much screen time, and when he did, it wasn't exploited as much as it could have been.

Overall, the movie had the potential to be much bigger, but it feels like the director never got 'round to it 5.5/10 on my scale.

The first movie I ever saw where everything seemed to be going in slow motion.

I gave it a big "thumbs down."

I found it suspenseful. The end was cool too. I might buy this if I get a good deal.

[red]SPOILERS BELOW![/red]

yeah i thought this movie was decent, although boy did it seem long! i agree about that slow motion thing! anyway, it was a rather scary movie, and i'm not big into those, but i thought this one was good. although, real smart trying to put harrison ford in a bad guy role. okay obviously that DOESN'T work! harrison ford is everyone's favorite GOOD guy.

[Edited by jamesglewisf on 02-09-2001]

probably one of the best horror thrillers of the 90s, i like this movie a lot and it was suspensful from beginning to end

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I found there was absolutely zero chemistry between those two but otherwise an enjoyable enough thriller.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
probably one of the best horror thrillers of the 90s, i like this movie a lot and it was suspensful from beginning to end

The makers of the movie were inspired by Alfred Hitchcock, according to the commentary.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
I found there was absolutely zero chemistry between those two but otherwise an enjoyable enough thriller.

The only chemistry between them was Halothane.

I really liked it. I honestly can't remember how much the trailer gives away, but Michelle Pfeiffer usually always brings the goods.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I find the climax of this film really difficult to watch, which landed the film a spot on my My Most Disturbing Film Experiences list.
What was the climax, Gid? The

WARNING: spoilers below
car off the ramp?

Been a while since I saw it.