Unbreakable

→ in
Tools    

If I had the money I'd see it again.

I am from Montreal, Canada.

Cheers!

yeaH, You are telling me. I remember when tickets prices used to be $6.50. Not it cost an arm and a leg to go the movies--especially in NYC. We have a AMC movie Theatre here with more than 50 screens. When I go to the movies with my best friend we coul watch as many movies as we want for the price of one. It's a good deal if you have nothing better to do on a Sunday afternoon. There's a Sony theatre across the street from it, so they don't care if you sneak in to see other movies. They can't afford to lose any customers

well, I go on the Tuesdays or Wednesdays because it's 6.50$ (Canadian). I have a theatre that is about 3 minutes drive, they have 12 big screens with Digital sound; once they opened I never went back to a standard theatre.

Here they open a 12+ screens every 3-4 months but our biggest in Montreal have 16-17 sceens. More than 50 screens must be HUGE!! It costs 30 Million $ for a 12 screens here so for a 50+ it must cost around 125 million!

But of course, you have twice as much people in NYC as we have in all the Greater Montreal area.

Cheers!

I can't even imagine 50 screens at a venue! But I don't like when they make so many that each one has a small-ish screen. I live in Honolulu, Hawaii, and my favorite is an 18-plex with stadium seating.

Luckily, if you go to an early matinee here, you can see anything for $4.50. So I rarely go at night when it's $7.00. Lucky for me because sometimes I go to 80+ movies a year!

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I finally saw this last night. It was cool, but not great. I understood it perfectly. The message it was trying to get across etc. It didn't seem like it was going anywhere for me. They introduced it, and then TRIED to enforce the idea, but it didn't really work for me. The camera work and everything was good and the acting good too, but it just didn't do anything special for me. It felt like it was a cool concept that if done differently would have made it alot better.

[red]SPOILER BELOW![/red]

Well, personally I think the idea of superheroes simply being exaggerated for the comics is fabulous.

And yes, the camera work was *AMAZING* - every movie should use the camera like that. Probably the best camera work I've EVER seen anywhere. It made the movie.

EDIT: Thanks for pointing that out, Peter, the proper Spoiler notice is there now.

[Edited by TWTCommish on 12-02-2000]

I agree the camera was brilliant!

I especially loved the train sequence, it's exactly as if someone was in the front seat and was trying to follow the conversation.

Cheers!

Female assassin extraordinaire.
alright, i've seen it!! and it was good. you're right, only the style and the feel is like the sixth sense, though less menacing and more suspenseful/mystery like. and i agree with OG, it tried to force some things, but in the end I got the message and I liked the message. my main problem was with the wavering story-line (Elijah states his theory but then no one believes it and it kind of sits on the fence for the first half of the movie though of course, coming to see the movie and knowing what you're in for you WANT to believe, but the movie itself sits on the fence), and the ending. that stuff with the ending left me with more questions than answers, had to make one up for myself.

my full, "official" review is below ... longish .
_____

Fragile, but Good - Review of "Unbreakable" (2000)

Written, Directed By: M. Night Shyamalan
Rated: PG-13
Star Quality: 4/5

Shyamalan is on a roll. It's been said his current film projects are intended to be a trilogy, related to each other in some sense yet each standing on their own. We were introduced to this very talented producer, writer, and director, with "The Sixth Sense" which also featured a confused, distant protagonist (Bruce Willis in his doldrums) and a young, highly impressionable boy in the exploration of the dark and uplifting sides of humanity. I must admit I was highly skeptical as I was on my way to see "Unbreakable" but I was not disappointed and in fact am looking forward to the next frame of this fascinating triptych.
The visuals we came to recognize in "The Sixth Sense" are present here, and so are Shyamalan's "color flags." Where in the first, he used red to symbolize the drama in situations throughout the film, in "Unbreakable" he relates a specific color for a specific person - Elijah, (Samuel L. Jackson) a child of the 1970s trapped in a world of his own labelled thoroughly with the color purple. It's a powerful color that lulls white it touches everywhere; heavily subdued its tones are always rich and deep and it stands out subtly against the familiar gray and shadow of the film's cinematography. It represents a fading hope, Elijah's dream of a world that can spawn heroes during today's "mediocre times." His own personal health history has made him a highly fragile human being, and comic books gave him a safe haven; through them he determines the rules of life and has for years been convinced that somewhere out in the world exists his exact opposite -- a man who is unbreakable.
When he meets David (Bruce Willis), a quiet spoken man estranged from his family who has miraculously survived a train accident, he gently and insistently presses his point. Jackson is perfect in this role, as he always is, and expresses the sense of suffering present in this soul who has somehow managed to hold onto hope to the point of obsession. Willis practices his same mild distance, and forever beneath it is the sense that he wants to care, has questions that need answering, seeks and wants to find. He becomes an everyman, a person the audience can understand and relate to. He is faced with life as a dreary tunnel ahead, and the audience sympathizes with his desire to be free. Both his son Joseph (Spencer Treat Clark) and his wife Audrey (Robin Wright Penn) sense his withdrawal and in their way want to help him find his goal and connect with him beyond the emotional divide he has built around himself for years.
When Elijah offers David a promise of the light that will guide him out, to a future where he can connect with his family and wake up in the mornings glad for what he is and what he does, he wavers, but in the end begins to connect the truths of his own past with the frightening and beautiful theory Elijah offers. Shyamalan is on a role because with this story, as with "The Sixth Sense" he finds a deep and quiet beauty, an insistent and ringing chord, in the lives of normal people seeking something larger than themselves. He reveals the subtle complexities of human kind, the fine line between good and bad, questions of sacrifice and morality, all without melodrama and without deliberately milking his audience. It is the richness and beauty of humanity that he reveals and spotlights even as his camera reveals the world in grim tones, cold grays, and smothering shadows. This grimness makes the beauty of connection, of simple gazes, of a quiet touch, of simple emotion without excess, speak louder than any dialogue or flashy montage.
As with "The Sixth Sense" there is a revelation of great power and a complete plot-turn-around at the end that I will not give away, but I will stress that in some sense it will leave you lacking a true resolution. The film as a whole had some flaws in the premise itself which made my ability to suspend disbelief a little tenuous at times, but by the middle of the film that eases off. The ending is where the audience might have the real problem - it confused the issues at hand and in some ways did not answer the very questions raised with this final, moving revelation. Perhaps the director needed to wrap things up and so didn't take them further, and perhaps he tried to make up for that with explanatory onscreen text at the end, but in reality they do not help. The premise of the film was confused (is it based off a true story or not?) by this text at the beginning and the end, and it only complicates the ending further. The viewer will have to create their own resolution, but truthfully this makes the film linger even longer than it might have and perhaps that's what the film was intended to do. It's a beautiful film regardless, and I for one don't mind dwelling on beautiful and moving things I have had the pleasure of seeing.

I know, this is Tallahassee and we had the election-thing going on down here and everything, but I had no clue this movie was even out until I went to decide what I wanted to see tonight. I couldn't wait to get home and create a thread about the movie -- only to find out this thread has been here for quite some time!!

Anyway, I concur with most of what everyone else wrote: that the movie had a "Sixth Sense" feel but stood on its own merit.

Thumbs up...!

I think too many people are hooked on the cinematography. "The color connection was great" "The camera work was brilliant". Thats fine if you appreciate that sort of thing but at the end of the day the story was streched out and slow. And the thing is they had more story to tell by the end of the movie than they had told through out it. I think mr night should spend less time worrying about camera angles.

shylock,

it all depends on your background...if you are a professional hockey player and you see someone playing either great or bad you will pass a remark on it. So, for the ones that have cinematography backgrounds, it's sort of normal to comment or criticize some actions.

The camera is what the audience sees at first and if you don't pay attention to what you are doing then the movie might be changed and interpreted differently.

Cheers!

I'm the type of person to notice the camera angles.

I like camera angles that make you lean forward, and draw you into the story - Unbreakable did just that. The camera work was magnificent!

I also like interesting, yet plausible movies. Unbreakable isn't just entertainment - it shows you something that has an interesting concept behind it - it makes you wonder if it's really possible.

Perhaps I mis-phrased what I meant.

[red]SPOLIERS BELOW![/red]
It's not totally outragous like Terminator 2, or X-Men - it takes something ridiculous (comic cbooks), and shows you how it MIGHT just be an exaggeration of something real! That was very intriguing!

A similar concept is a movie called "Snow White: Tale of Terror" - it's a scary version of the famous fairy tale, and it sort of implies (to me, at least) that fairy tales are things that happened, but have been twisted around and stripped of all realness and harshness so that children can enjoy them - as you can see, that's similar to Unbreakable in a sense.

Gee, I'm sorry, everybody. Apparently I gave away key plot points. I wasn't thinking, and I hope that didn't ruin it for you.

Rhonda

I think I was expecting too much before I saw the film. Comparing it to Sixth Sense before I saw it kind of let me down. It was good and if I didn't have Sixth Sense to compare it to, I would probably love Unbreakable. As it is, I thought it was passable. I'm looking forward to the DVD though. The deleted scenes will probably make me like it more...lol.

Movie-Fever.com | New! Movie Fever Forums

No problem Rhonda - I'm sure everything is okay.

I saw this movie again in the theatres recently, and noticed another small thing or two I didn't the first time. I also got to check the credits (forgot to look it up online I think) to see if M. Night himself was in the movie, and it turns out he was.

I figured he was either the Doctor, or the guy in the blue jacket in the stadium...wasn't sure which, but now I know.

I appreciate this movie even more after the second time around - great movie. One of the best of the year.

M. Night is the guy at the stadium that was interrogated.

Cheers!