Celebrity Encounters.

Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Any one have any celebrity stories. Do tell... I've met Bill Murray...ummm...My dad knows Harold Ramis, my stepmom's friend is a writer for some newspaper in San Fransico and hes met a TON of stars. Lets see what else... I met Tonny Twist in an airport, he plays for the St. Louis Blues, and I've met Bret Hull and Mark McGwuire (I can't even spell his name right, i dont think so at least.) Thats about it though. Oh and if you watched the funeral for the former governer of MO, I know the rabbi who went on right after Clinton spoke. And I once saw Clinton and Gore running laps around my old neighborhood's park. Thats all for me.
[Edited by OG- on 10-25-2000]

I grew up in the same neighborhood that Tom Green was from. It is a development outside of Ottawa, Canada. I met him on several occasions throughout the area. I got his autograph after a performance at Gloucester, Ontario. For those who don't know....Tom Green started out as a member of a Rap group named "Organized Rhyme" when he had just finished high school. They were a successful group in Canada for a couple of years. Then when that was over he got his little show on the local channel 22 (using cheap cameras). And of course now he's on MTV. Anyways....his group was performing at Gloucester and he signed his rap goup name, which was "Bones." All the other times I've met him, he was doing what every other nutty Canadian does from the Orleans, Ont area (run around and make hilarious scenes or just bug people, making jokes). I saw him in the mall on several occasions and just skateboarding downtown Ottawa. He is by far the funniest bastard I have ever met.

I also have played basketball at one of the gyms I've been to with Laurence Taylor (LT), lifted with/played basketball with Keith Van Horn at another gym, and met Phil Simms because I played against his son in High school basketball.

I met Stevie Ray Vaughn at Love Field many, many years ago. I've met Governor Bush (before he was Governor) and Jack Kemp (before he ran for VP. I met him at a Dallas airport, too, but it was DFW rather than Love). I met Drew Pearson at the Mall in Grapevine. I met the guy who played Chekov on Star Trek at Universal Studios when I was 11 years-old. I shook Dan Quayle's hand at a Mall in Fort Worth in 1992. I met Martha Quinn (former MTV VeeJay) after a speech at a community college. I also met Art Linklater at the same community college, but I met him before he gave his speech. I'm friends with Lonnie Maclin, but he's not so much famous (he did play for the St. Louis Cardinals for a spell), and I met Todd Burns when he played for a minor league baseball team I worked for (Burns played for the A's and pitched in a World Series). And speaking of Oakland, I've met former Raiders QB Jeb Blount.

Oh, and I met Frankie Banali from Quiet Riot one time. He came into a record store where a friend of mine worked and hung out for a while when he was in town for a concert.

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones that I remember.

Alright, here goes (big one is at the end!!!):
  • I had the chance to meet Steve Forbes and Alan Keyes, but passed it up at the time.
  • I got to meet a New York Yankees scout and try on his World Series ring!
  • My grandfather originally discovered Mike Piazza while he was in high school.

• Jean Claude Van Damme shot a movie near my old house - very near! At least parts of it, that is. It was "Sudden Death" the hockey one.
  • Remember the strip-club scene in "Kingpin"? I used to live in a house where you could walk to that strip club in about 2 minutes.
  • My parents saw James Earl Jones in an airport in San Francisco.

• My dad has a couple TV shows and a radio show...
  • I talked with SF Giants pitcher Russ Ortiz through an Instant Message.
  • My grandfather is in the Baseball Scouts Hall of Fame...

• I am Batman.
  • My stepmother was in a music festival with Trent Reznor - IE: Nine Inch Nails.
  • My mother is good friends with Diane Gabaldon - author of several bestsellers. Run a search for her on Amazon.com.

• I've met Mr. Rogers.
  • I got to run all over the field and in the dugouts in Three Rivers Stadium...home of the 1994 All Star Game. I slid across the entire dugout seat, and stood in the batter's box...so basically I was in the same box/seat as Ken Griffey Jr., Cal Ripken, Frank Thomas, Barry Bonds, and a bunch of others!

Okay, here's the big one!

My mother, brother, and myself go to a Weird Al Yankovic concert. My mom tells me that last time she went, they told everyone that Al wasn't going to come out after the show no matter how long they waited, but that she stuck around for awhile, and got to see him come out and sign autographs anyway.

We try the same after the concert, but keep getting refuted...eventually it becomes evident he's not coming and we're nearly forced to leave. We're all very bummed at this point.

We start to leave, upset with this dissapointment and lost time, when we see someone jogging across the parking lot - a fairly large parking lot. We recognize him as Al's keyboard player! We ask him if he wants a ride in our car - he accepts and gets in. We drive him to some hotel where he said he had a bet to pay off or something (might have been a joke)...he says thank you, and if we drive him back to the concert area, (just a few hundred feet or so, I think), he'd be glad to get us in backstage to see Al.

We wait outside while he goes into to get things approved for us, and lo and behold: we see the same security guy who almost forced us to leave earlier! He says "You finally got in, huh?" with a smile...we make it into a surprisingly small backstage area with no more than a dozen people, and we get autographs and a picture with Al.

It was amazing!

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
That sounds pretty cool, batman. Have you ever heard of a band called Godhead? I haven't but today I talked to their lead singer today. Their going on tour with Marylin Manson soon.

Didn't see it.
I met Alan Keyes at my church. I met J.C. Watts at DFW airport.

I was in a tiny shoe store in the Galleria (Dallas) at the same time as Eric Clapton.

On our honeymoon in Hawaii, we sat at the table next to Oprah Winfrey.

We used to ski in Aspen and were always running across Goldie Hawn, Sonny and Cher.

My family and Jim Nabors were the sole customers in a restaurant in Hawaii.

My dad has had lunch several times with William F. Buckley, Jr.

Rick Cua (of the Outlaws) called me on the phone.

My dad was a consultant to Ross Perot. He worked with him personally.

I met Roy Robertson (creator of the Bridge Illustration). I met Bill Bright (Campus Cruscade) and John MacArthur. I've met and talked on the phone with Tom Nelson (Song of Solomon).

I met James Lovell (Apollo 13).

I know the former Governor of South Carolina, Carroll Campbell.

Last March, I got to meet Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott, Minority Leader Tom Daschle (D-S. Dak.), House Ways and Means Chairman Bill Archer (R-Texas), National Economic
Council Director Gene Sperling, Under Secretary of the
Treasury for Domestic Finance Gary Gensler, and White
House Deputy Chief of Staff Steve Richetti.

Oh, I forgot. One of my teachers from High School later became a romance novelist. She publishes under the name Jodi Thomas. I haven't read any of her stuff, though.

And it seems like the Dallas airports are a good place to meet people, especially Republican politicians.

I met tony dungi on a plane to tampa/St. pete; it's kinda cool, because you can just walk upto people on a plane, and what are they gonna do? they can't really walk away from you - esp. when they're on the window seat...

I've also met Jeremy Kissgner (Great Expectations, Dog of Flanders), who actually has the same agent as I do (Along with one of the guys from American Pie...I forgot his name though).

And I've met David Copperfield (The magician...not the mouse.) a couple of times.

And that's all I can really think of right now.

Hey, JRS....

Fill me in on some of the work you have done.

I havn't done a whole lot of stuff, and what I have is mostly in my area. Anyways...some of the stuff I've done is below:

Print
Jim Woosley, Fashion Photographer
Real Cool Colorado Places for Curios Kids

Stage/Media
Teen Violence (KNOF 95.3 FM, MPLS)
The Emporer's New Clothes

And I have a bunch of training and stuff - I'm also in about 6 bands where I'm the drummer. I havn't talked to my agent for a little while, but right now it's really slow, so I havn't been going to that many auditions.

My resume is actually longer than that, but those are the things that are most recent/funnest.

John

Female assassin extraordinaire.
i'm jealous people you've had some real encounters eh ... not fair not fair!! this is cool...six degrees of separation (or something similar) really applies. everybody knows somebody who knows somebody ... cool.

as for me, no real heavy stars. sigh!! there's:

1) when I was a kid I was growing up in Singapore and that's an ex-British colony so ... roundabout, but Roald Dahl came through and sat and had an "interview" with the entire elementary grades, talking about his books (his KID books ... not the other naughty ones, we weren't aware of THOSE and such. i was young so I just remember a crumbly old man, rather tall and with a cane.

2) also while I was in Singapore, Alex Haley (the writer of the book Roots that got made into a 9 hour miniseries starring Levar Burton in the 1980s and was a social blockbuster) was visiting and new a family friend so the daughter of the family friend and I, young and impressionable, went to harass him in his hotel suite for a pic and autograph (though at the time I had no real idea who he was, just that he was a writer .

3. and by association, being here at Stanford I've seen the Clinton parents at our convocation, Chelsea passing by, and Mr. Bill gave a speech at the convocation. Also, Fred Savage left the year I came or something and there are all sorts of famous alumni and apparently other current famous students who i never see cause I"m always working or in class ... ah well.

4. Luke Skywalker (or the guy who played him) went to my high school in South Korea (Seoul American High School) ... of course, this was before my time but hey, association again!

5. While driving up through Napa Valley, near which my family lives, we were on the smaller highway (2 lanes each side) but which is more relaxed compared to the crazy highways further south of Napa, and as we're going up a hill into napa we see a nice sports car convertible and some long blonde hair flying in the wind on a beautiful woman sitting next to ... Kelsey Grammar, freshly married to his current wife. They went speeding past grinning like there was no tomorrow and family and friends gawked from the car but we were all going so fast in passing it didn't really constitute as anything.

6. In Fairfield/Vallejo (northern california between sacramento and San Francisco), places where there isn't much action going on, there's a silly miniature golf place (with batting cages and a little mini race track) called Scandia. Useless information until one day we learned that fresh after leaving later on that day Michael Jordan was in the batting cages practicing, and he'd come with a friend in the area he was visiting.

Most of mine were almost saw or kind of missed, the only in person one is the Alex Haley one. Outside of that, nothing so grand as your experiences .

Originally posted by thmilin
1) when I was a kid I was growing up in Singapore and that's an ex-British colony so ... roundabout, but Roald Dahl came through and sat and had an "interview" with the entire elementary grades, talking about his books (his KID books ... not the other naughty ones, we weren't aware of THOSE and such. i was young so I just remember a crumbly old man, rather tall and with a cane.
I read "Esio Trot" and wrote a crappy book report on it in 5th grade. Good book.

Naughty books? Wha? I've no idea what you're referring to.

Didn't see it.
Randy Travis sang some songs from his new CD called "Inspirational Journey" at our church service on Saturday night. I stood about 3 feet from him after the service while I was waiting for someone to counsel. Didn't introduce myself though.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
Roald Dahl was quite a dirty old man. The same sick mind that made us delight in gas of all kinds in the BFG is the same kind of man who'd write randy books in the 1970s ... go to the library and you'll find them alongside Matilda and such... Um, your mom won't let you read them though .

Milla stepped on my foot at a Club in Boston. (She was 18 or 19 at the time). And I was almost run over by Lisa Hartman- Black in Beverly hills one fine afternoon.

well, this is baseball, but my dad just today ran into alex rodriguez in the lobby of the hotel my dad was staying at! my dad didn't actually "run into him" but he did see him sitting down talking to his lawyer, my dad was gonna try to get an autograph (dang, i'm surprised the gov. actually paid for my dad to stay at a hotel that was "worthy" enough of having arod in it! lol. I read in the newspaper today that arod was in Denver talking to the Rockies today.

I'm so jelous! i would die to meet him! (but i would be willing to have his dumb agent die!)

-Brian

I was a student at the University of Missouri at the same time as Brad Pitt and Sheryl Crow. In fact, Brad's fraternity house in Greektown was next door to Sheryl's sorority house.