Alec Baldwin accidentally kills crew member with prop gun

Tools    

I wonder who's paying for this one..

"Hannah Gutierrez Reed, the armorer and key props assistant on Rust, filed a lawsuit in New Mexico state court on Wednesday saying the production bought live ammunition that she believed to be dummy rounds."

She's an armorer, but can't tell the difference between live rounds and dummy rounds? And she loaded the gun?

This thing might play out for years until the public has forgotten. But it seems likely that most everyone is trying to protect their fair haired boy, Alec Baldwin.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/just-...ckless-conduct

Baldwin sued by family of Hutchins. Dominoes falling.

I love the way that the article states: "The cinematographer was shot and killed on the set of the movie during filming when a firearm Baldwin was holding discharged a bullet."

In other words it was the firearm's fault...

https://www.dailywire.com/news/just-...ckless-conduct

Baldwin sued by family of Hutchins. Dominoes falling.
For those who aren't going to click through: they're suing all the producers, I believe, of which Baldwin is one. Potentially meaningful distinction.

Honestly, one wonders what’s on the man’s mind, even from a pure PR perspective. Naturally, it might be that he’s not wrong, but who says that in this kind of context? The mind boggles.

“Alec Baldwin accuses family of crew member killed in on-set shooting of trying to get money out of him”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...30478.html?amp

Honestly, one wonders what’s on the man’s mind, even from a pure PR perspective. Naturally, it might be that he’s not wrong, but who says that in this kind of context? The mind boggles.

“Alec Baldwin accuses family of crew member killed in on-set shooting of trying to get money out of him”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...30478.html?amp

So, perhaps not a meaningful distinction from Mr. Baldwin's point of view?

So, perhaps not a meaningful distinction from Mr. Baldwin's point of view?
Perhaps not. I don’t even know how I personally feel about the whole thing, but I always wonder about people who actually say that stuff out loud.

Perhaps not. I don’t even know how I personally feel about the whole thing, but I always wonder about people who actually say that stuff out loud.

Baldwin's behavior in all of this has been baffling. Impromptu apologias with paparazzi, weird self-made videos, that desperate soft-ball interview with Stephanopoulos on ABC, his refusal to hand over his phone to police, his claim that the gun basically shot itself, his contradictory claim that the set had a well-oiled crew, but then reposting crew member complaints about unsafe working conditions.

Worst case of elder abuse we have seen since the election of Joe Biden.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
'Rust' movie receives maximum fine for gun safety failures in Alec Baldwin shooting

Alec Baldwin's ill-fated movie "Rust" was hit Wednesday with the maximum possible fine by state safety officials in New Mexico for violations on the set that contributed to the death of a cinematographer.

A report released by the state Occupational Health and Safety Bureau blasted "Rust" producers for "plain indifference" and noted they "willfully violated" known industry safety protocols in imposing a nearl$137,000 fine for firearms safety failures. During a hasty rehearsal last October, actor and producer Baldwin discharged a replica Colt that killed 42-year-old Halyna Hutchins and injured director Joel Souza.

In particular, the report indicates that the young armorer on the set, Hannah Gutierrez Reed, was not given the chance to perform her job. Reed was not in the church on the Old West set when the gun was handed to Baldwin and then went off.

"Rust did not provide staff responsible for ensuring firearms safety with sufficient time to inspect ammunition received to ensure that no live rounds were present," the report said.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/7385746001

He claims in the interview in that video that he cocked the gun and the gun just went off. In the video we see him draw with his finger on the trigger. An SAA revolver has a very light trigger when cocked (this helps accuracy). It is exceedingly unlikely that the gun went off by itself and overwhelmingly likely that he fingered the trigger.

I am willing to accept that this may have been a failure of competence (i.e., that his sincere perception is that the gun just went off), but this still leaves him on the hook for negligence (e.g., the four rules apply to everyone, as an actor who handles guns he has a personal responsibility to learn safe-handling, and as a producer he was responsible for on-set safety).

You ready? You look ready.
Yeah, the video shows exactly what I’ve been saying all along. Because even his earlier movies he rests his finger on the trigger. Dude has been handling guns wrong longer than I’ve been alive, so yeah. That’s some pretty bad engrained behavior.

With that said, the evidence that is coming out is far more damning for the armorer.

This is so sad.