Tom Cruise's best role or movie ?

Tools    

Movie Forums Extra
Mine is MINORITY REPORT (2002)

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Minority report is great but his role as the paraplegic Vietnam vet in Oliver stones born of the Fourth of July is one of those few films that brought a tear to my eye. Such a strong performance. Don’t think I’ve seen him top it....although I haven’t seen everything he has to offer.

Make a better place

Far and Away

I quite liked him Born on 4th of July and Rain Man. He is a decent actor so for most of his movies you wont be coming out of the theater saying "that boy cant act at all" or something.

Best Performance: Magnolia
Best Film: Jerry Maguire

Honorable mentions: Born on the Fourth of July, Rain Man, Eyes Wide Shut, A Few Good Men, Collateral, The Firm, Tropic Thunder

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Lol at Tropic Thunder. He was hilarious.

For the same reason Edge of tomorrow.

I also agree about collateral. I found him very believable

I like Tom Cruise, he gets knocked quite a bit but he's had a long and successful movie career, so he must be doing something right. I don't know if this is his best movie but Cocktail is underrated for sure.

Mine is MINORITY REPORT (2002)
I enjoyed Minority Report at the time.

For me it's Interview with the Vampire. I think it's a great film.

After Risky Business he had an incredible run of huge movies one right after the other. He's in a way one of those kooky examples of a guy that really hasn't ever had a massive failure. I'm sure his star power is dwindling some these days but I bet he's still making the studios a lot of money on just his name alone. Not bad for a guy that seemingly believes in aliens that live inside a volcano. I think he's still with those guys, yeah?

You can't win an argument just by being right!
After Risky Business he had an incredible run of huge movies one right after the other. He's in a way one of those kooky examples of a guy that really hasn't ever had a massive failure. I'm sure his star power is dwindling some these days but I bet he's still making the studios a lot of money on just his name alone. Not bad for a guy that seemingly believes in aliens that live inside a volcano. I think he's still with those guys, yeah?
Apart from The 2 early movies he did with Kidman when he got totally overexposed here in Australia as Our Favourite Adopted Son (cringe worthy!) and the kooky stuff you mentioned, plus the fact he's a real tool to people and acts like he's above them when asked certain questions, I've enjoyed the movies I've seen him in. I try not to let their outside antics get the better of me, and i certainly don't go searching for Hollywood gossip, but when it takes over regular news on the TV channels here I get a bit fed up.

I agree with @CitizenRules that Tom gets knocked a bit but he must be doing something right. I think he tends to pick good movies that are well put together and very enjoyable to watch. And in a way, he's like Paul Newman in that his onscreen personna is more or less the same guy in different movies- but done quite well. I also agree with @Dani8 - although he can be a bit kooky and sometimes has (what seems to me) a streak of Scientology self righteousness - I try not to let his outside antics get to me. Overall I don't think he's a bad guy; and I get the feeling that he he is decent and reliable and respectful to work with.

Some of my favorites of his are:
A Few Good Men
Rainman
War of the Worlds

Overall, Tom is in good movies that are fun to rewatch and that stand the test of time. And part of the appeal of these movies is that he plays a flawed human being - the hot shot car salesman in Rainman or the negligent dad in War of the Worlds- who evolves into a better, more aware, more mature person- a devoted brother, or a loving dad who will face any terror to keep his kids safe. Becoming a grown-up- it's a universal theme that gives his movies a universal appeal.

Best film...Magnolia

Best role... Born on the Fourth of July I guess, I believe he had more potential with Eyes Wide Shut but that sort of flopped for him.