Citizen's Top 62, 1930s Actors & Actresses

Tools    

My #16 Favorite 30's Actress is

Greta Garbo
Filmography Biography

One of the most enigmatic actresses of the 20th Century. Greta was born in Sweden and became a legend when she came to Hollywood. She started out in silent films, but it was the 1930s that really made Garbo a household name.

Some of my favorite 1930s films of hers are:

Anna Christie (1930) One of the first 1930s films that I watched.

Mata Hari (1931) If we could only find the missing footage, still a great film without.

Grand Hotel (1932) One of the first star studded cast movies.

Queen Christina (1933) A vehicle that fits Garbo like a glove.

Anna Karenina (1935) A prime example of Garbo's magic.

Camille (1936) Another film that seems a perfect fit for her.

Ninotchka (1939) Billed as 'Garbo laughs'. The only comedy talkie she did.

She only made one film after the 1930s, 1941's Two Faced Woman, then she left the spotlight and never made another film.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Greata Garbo.jpg
Views:	3936
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	45479  

My #16 Favorite 1930's Actor is

Laurence Olivier

Filmography Biography

It's hard to think of another Shakespearean trained actor more fluent and forcefully in his line deliver than the British born Larry Oliver. He's equally good in non Shakespearean roles too!

I've only seen one of his 1930s movies, though he made many others and I'm sure most are well worth watching:

Wuthering Heights (1939) A great story based on the classic novel by Emily Brontė.

Attachments

Name:	Laurence Olivier.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	45480  

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I love Sir Laurence!

Greta Garbo
Oh dear, don't think I've ever actually watched Garbo in anything other than odd clips - shocking I know Suppose I ought to do my utmost to rectify that if I can before the countdown.

edit: Broke my embarrassing duck on Garbo fillums with Mata Hari which I found rather enjoyable and she certainly had a screen presence that imo was the perfect fit for it. Also watched Grand Hotel - once again she gives a good account and lights up the screen in her happier moments.

Laurence Olivier
Almost certainly would have had to endure Wuthering Heights at some point as a youngster but it would have been so long ago (and I'm not much of a Brontės fan anyway) so I doubt more than the odd frame would trigger any memory. Not seen anything else from his 30s output, I'll try and see if something is available at some point.

edit: Gave The Divorce Of Lady X a runout, an enjoyable enough watch overall (helped by the presence of the delightful Merle Oberon) but I have to say Olivier's performance in it is a little mixed imo. Also gave Perfect Understanding a watch - he's 'ok' in it (which is better than some), it's a fillum that starts abysmally and gradually improves as it plays out but doesn't improve enough imo to warrant advising anyone to go out of their way to watch it.

My #15 Favorite 30's Actress is

Glenda Farrell

Filmography Biography

Brassy, sassy, fast talking blonde Glenda Farrell was a staple in Warner Brothers films during the 1930s. She's known for her lighting fast delivery of lines..."she was promoted as being able to speak 400 words in 40 seconds" I don't know about that, but she is outright the faster talker I've seen in a movie. Unusually she played comedies, but in the early 30s appeared as a notorious woman in several key movies.

Little Caesar (1931) Early crime film.

Three on a Match (1932) Cool pre-code film with an all star cast including Bette Davis and Humphrey Bogart.

I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (1932) A must see!

Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933) One of only two serving two-strip technolor films. Thought lost but found in Jack Warner's safe in the 1970s.

Havana Widows (1933) A comedy with Joan Blondell who she was often paired with.

I've Got Your Number (1934) A comedy with Joan Blondell who she was often paired with.

Gold Diggers of 1935 (1935) One of the Busby Berkely musicals.

Attachments

Name:	Glenda Farrell.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	45734  

My #15 Favorite 1930's Actor is

Gary Cooper

Filmography Biography

Gary Cooper, the man of few words. He started out in the silent era and was featured promptly in one of my favorite silent films Wings. Cooper had a unique way of talking that made him the quiet man, with deep thought.

These are some of my favorites of his 1930s movies:

A Farewell to Arms (1932)

Design for Living (1933)

Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (1936) Frank Capra's film, which made Cooper a star.

Bluebeard's Eighth Wife (1938) With one of my favorite actresses, who will be appearing later on this list.

Beau Geste (1939)

Attachments

Name:	Gary Cooper.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	45735  

Glenda Farrell
The name rings no bells tbh .... definitely will have seen her in Little Caesar back in my youth, need to revisit that one if I can find it; other than that I know of the character Torchy Blane but couldn't say whether I've ever seen any of that series of movies. I do already have Heat Lightning on my list to watch if I can find, and sadly I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang has eluded efforts to locate it thus far it. I'll have to see what else I can find of hers to watch (at least there's plenty of choices lol).

edit: Gave Little Caesar a run out this morning and she plays her supporting role well enough without really shining.

Gary Cooper
He was in The Stolen Jools you know Recent watches with him in include A Farewell To Arms, Alice In Wonderland, City Streets, Desire, I Take This Woman and Now And Forever - he's better in some than others, the only one I'd say he really disappointed me in was the latter in which I struggled to believe his character. I have Devil And The Deep and Souls At Sea lined up for viewings at some point and will see what else of his I can dig out.

edit: Watched Devil And The Deep this afternoon/evening, sadly an impaired print but mainly watchable and he plays his role in it well. Gave Souls At Sea a run out, not exactly what I was expecting so somewhat disappointing but Cooper gives a decent performance.

Glenda Farrell
The name rings no bells tbh .... definitely will have seen her in Little Caesar back in my youth, need to revisit that one if I can find it; other than that I know of the character Torchy Blane but couldn't say whether I've ever seen any of that series of movies.
I've not seen any of the Torchy Blaine films myself, but I suspect they'd be to my liking.

Gary Cooper
He was in The Stolen Jools you know Recent watches with him in include A Farewell To Arms, Alice In Wonderland, City Streets, Desire, I Take This Woman and Now And Forever - he's better in some than others, the only one I'd say he really disappointed me in was the latter in which I struggled to believe his character. I have Devil And The Deep and Souls At Sea lined up for viewings at some point and will see what else of his I can dig out.

Damn, they were all in The Stolen Jools. You've seen a goodly amount of Cooper. I've seen Souls At Sea recently, good watch. Not too memorable, but good sea and ship scenes that look believable.

My #14 Favorite 30's Actress is

Judy Garland

Filmography Biography

She was born born in a trunk, in the Princess Theatre in Pocatella, Idaho. It was during the matinee on Friday. Or so Judy's trademark song Born In A Trunk goes. She was born Frances Gumm and performed with her two other sisters in the Gumm Sisters act in vaudeville. As a teenager she signed to MGM studios and the rest is legend.

Love Finds Andy Hardy (1938) With Mickey Rooney another teen actor who she would be paired with a number of times.

The Wizard of Oz (1939) Needs no introduction!

Babes in Arms (1939) Another musical comedy with Mickey Rooney

Attachments

Name:	Judy Garland.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	45911  

My #14 Favorite 1930's Actor is

Peter Lore

FilmographyBiography

Austrian-Hugnarian born actor, who made his mark in German films, most notably Fritz Lang's M (1931). Lorre left Germany when Hitler and the Nazi's came to power and moved to America, where he left his unique style of acting on scores of great films.

M (1931) German language classic.

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934) An early Hitchcock film, that would later be remade by Hitch himself in the 1950s.

Mad Love (1935) One twisted sci fi horror movie, Lorre was born for this role!

Think Fast, Mr. Moto (1937) Peter Lorre plays the mysterious Japanese detective Mr Moto. This is the first in a series of Mr Moto Films.

There are seven more films in the Mr. Moto series. The earlier ones are the best. As WWII was on the horizon the idea of having a Japanese protagonist in an American film didn't work out, so no more were made.

Attachments

Name:	Peter Lorre.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	45912  

Judy Garland
Have to admit I'm not her biggest fan but I have of course seen The Wizard Of Oz countless times (who hasn't?) and I watched Babes In Arms not so long ago, surprisingly enjoyable despite Mickey Rooney also not being one of my favourites. I might have also seen Broadway Melody Of 1938 but if so it would have been as a youngling so doesn't count. I'll be honest and say that I have no plans to seek anything else of hers out in preparation for the countdown.

Peter Lorre
Ahhhhh, such contrast, great choice - my very favourite actor of all time. He's brilliant in M and for me enhances just about anything he's in. There's a number of his 30s output I'm hoping to revisit before the countdown (yep, including his 'yellowface' Mr. Moto series ).

edit: Gave What Women Dream an outing this morning and he plays his part wonderfully in what is a delightful romantic dramedy (co-written by Billy Wilder) that sadly is unlikely to even be seen by many on here let alone stand a chance of making the 1930s countdown. Also watched Hitch's Secret Agent and imo Lorre's character actually harms proceedings at times but I lay that more at the director's feet than those of the actor. Watched I'll Give A Million yesterday in which he gives an ok supporting performance in a modestly entertaining affair and today started on rewatching his Mr. Moto franchise with Think Fast, Mr. Moto a reasonably entertaining introduction to the series that sees him well suited to the generally laconic role. #Mr. Moto update ... 3 down, lots still to go

*waits patiently for #13s
Ha, I know, I know I was thinking of this thread yesterday as I had free time, but I had the HoF stuff to do. I'm thinking I might have a half work day on this Friday, maybe then

My #13 Favorite 30's Actress is

Katherine Hepburn

Filmography Biography

Katherine Hepburn was one heck of a fine actress, especially later in her career. She made a big splash in the 1930s, then was labeled 'box office poison' by movie theater owners and her career was in danger of ending. Luckily it didn't...She kept getting better, playing strong willed women in later decades and continued acting until the 1990s.

Little Women (1933) She plays Jo in the first movie version of the classic novel of the same name.

Bringing Up Baby (1938)
The classic screwball comedy by Howard Hawks featuring Katherine Hepburn paired with Cary Grant.

Holiday (1938) My favorite comedy with Hepburn, she's paired again with Cary Grant, directed by George Cukor.

Attachments

Name:	Katharine Hepburn.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	46462  

My #13 Favorite 1930's Actor is

Henry Fonda

Filmography Biography

Nebraska boy, Henry Fonda was the epitome of down-home good-nature friendliness. And one of the most beloved actors on the silver screen. He played all types of characters in the 126 acting credits...but it was his reliable everyday man that won the hearts of audiences.

The Trail of the Lonesome Pine (1936) The second full feature, three-strip Technicolor film ever made, and the first one to be shot outside on location.

Jezebel (1938)
A film that you will see listed here on my countdown again!

The Story of Alexander Graham Bell (1939) A bio-pic.

Young Mr. Lincoln (1939) Another bio-pic.

Drums Along the Mohawk (1939) Another film that will be showing up on this countdown again!

Attachments

Name:	Henry Fonda.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	46463  

Katherine Hepburn
Such a renowned actress yet looking through her 30s filmography I think the only one I've actually seen is Bringing Up Baby - a much loved film by many but not by me sadly ... though that's more down to a dislike for the material in general and Grant's performance. I might give Little Women a spin at some point and see if anything else of hers from that period is available.

edit: Gave Quality Street a watch, she gives a good performance as per usual and whilst the film is a fairly unspectacular affair it's also a reasonably enjoyable one.

Henry Fonda
Such a likeable actor. Again embarrassingly light on being conversant with his 30s output though - most likely saw Jesse James and Drums Along The Mohawk in my childhood and Jezebel is a film I have a lot of time for but, just scanning the titles, that's about all I can lay claim to (and even then two of those can't really be counted lol). I'll certainly try and see if I can lessen the embarrassment a little in the coming weeks.

Katherine Hepburn
Such a renowned actress yet looking through her 30s filmography I think the only one I've actually seen is Bringing Up Baby - a much loved film by many but not by me sadly ... though that's more down to a dislike for the material in general and Grant's performance. I might give Little Women a spin at some point and see if anything else of hers from that period is available.

Henry Fonda
Such a likeable actor. Again embarrassingly light on being conversant with his 30s output though - most likely saw Jesse James and Drums Along The Mohawk in my childhood and Jezebel is a film I have a lot of time for but, just scanning the titles, that's about all I can lay claim to (and even then two of those can't really be counted lol). I'll certainly try and see if I can lessen the embarrassment a little in the coming weeks.

I hated Bringing Up Baby when I first watched it some years ago. Then it was nominated in the 11th Hof, and I watched it again and still hated it! But...I had the DVD so the next night I rewatched it yet again, but this time with the commentary track with Peter Bogdanovich, who just loved the film! It gave me a new appreciation for the movie, but still I didn't like it. Then it was choose as a Director Dissection film and I watched it for the 4th time, and by then I actually started to like it. I guess familiarity worked on me! But yeah I can see why people don't like it.

I hated Bringing Up Baby when I first watched it some years ago. Then it was nominated in the 11th Hof, and I watched it again and still hated it! But...I had the DVD so the next night I rewatched it yet again, but this time with the commentary track with Peter Bogdanovich, who just loved the film! It gave me a new appreciation for the movie, but still I didn't like it. Then it was choose as a Director Dissection film and I watched it for the 4th time, and by then I actually started to like it. I guess familiarity worked on me! But yeah I can see why people don't like it.
I've tried it three or four times I think, last time was toward the end of last year (yeah, I've been working on 30s films for a while so I don't feel oversaturated like I did with the 40s), sadly I still don't feel any real love for it so I very much doubt I ever will.