Your 10 worst/best films of the 2010s

Tools    

Pretty quickly thrown together lists. I'm very likely forgetting something (haven't logged my viewings for majority of the decade) and my opinions on such matters change often anyway.

Best:
Brimstone
Kick-Ass
John Wick
The Conjuring
Logan
The Dark
The VVitch
Monsters
Tigers Are Not Afraid
The Witch: Part 1. The Subversion

Worst (not counting ones I didn't finish):
Halloween
Geostorm
Wolf Warrior 2
Future World
Hellraiser: Judgment
Mayhem
Hangman
The 5th Wave
Assassin's Creed
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

The trick is not minding
Not so sure on worst, but best should be pretty easy. I’ve found myself focusing on earlier decades the last 5 years or so lately, so still much to see, as such this will probably change.
In no particular order:
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Black Swan
Avengers: Endgame
La La Land
Inside Out
Blue Valentine
The Social Network
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Silver Linings Playbook

Given more time, and more films viewed, this list will almost certainly change. But for now, that’s what I have.

Fair critiques, all.

I would mention that there actually wasn't a script at all! The film was an experiment in ab-lib and free association. The director and one of the actors worked on the puzzle box structure for over a year. There is a joke about the film: This movie has 391 continuity errors, and 385 of them are on purpose. It was sort of a cinematic experiment focused on the Shroedinger's Cat thought experiment, as well as people's tendency to perceive people through their own personal filters as opposed to seeing them objectively.

The actors would do little group sessions with the film makers, after which they were given cards and separate coaching on how to react to various situations that might arise during each scene. Although the final results are unrehearsed and a little rough around the edges, many of the reactions to events are genuine.

As far as not liking the characters, just remember this quote from the film:

"All night, we have been in here...worrying about what will happen if bad versions of ourselves come here to hurt or kill us. What if we are the bad version?"

Some of the characters are not great people, and although many of the characters are replaced, sometimes many times over, by various different versions of themselves, most of the versions we are exposed to are less than likable, and some are downright evil. After all:

WARNING: "Coherence" spoilers below
The final girl ends up murdering a better version of herself, and stealing her life.

Coherence is idea based, low-budget science fiction at its best. Perhaps give it another chance, this time approaching it as more of a guerrilla style indie flick that is more concerned with thought provoking ideas than flashy shots or academy award winning acting.
That's interesting, and it does make me appreciate the movie more. But it doesn't really effect my enjoyment. Maybe I will give it another go some day, but not quite ready yet

A system of cells interlinked
That's interesting, and it does make me appreciate the movie more. But it doesn't really effect my enjoyment. Maybe I will give it another go some day, but not quite ready yet
Yea, sounds like you have a lot of watching to do as far as this past decade is concerned!

Blimey...Coherence in the worst list?

While I wouldn't make a case for it being worthy of the Best list, this is pretty harsh! I loved Coherence, and have seen it multiple times. Care to elaborate on why you disliked it so strongly?
I thought it was a very well done sci-fi mystery on a miniscule budget.

I thought Coherence was terribly irritating to watch. Nice concept, horrible execution.

I don't log my films so I don't remember what was the best & worst of this decade. I sure seen a lot of crappy films though! And some good ones

Best: Amélie

Unless there's another Amelie, that's from 2001. Or is that a joke I'm not in on?

I wrote down 50 movies I might consider my favorites from the decade, but with some good stuff coming out here soon, including The Irishman, I'll hold off on a best of list. But here's some stuff that ranges from gawdawful to just annoying.

Bad:
1. Movie 43
2. The Amazing Bulk
3. Not Another Not Another Movie
4. Birdemic
5. Velvet Buzzsaw
6. Trance
7. Only Lovers Left Alive (I actually did a review.)
8. The Croods
9. Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice
10. Brave

I might say The Amazing Bulk is the worst movie ever made, but at least it's so bad it's ... um, amusing (?), whereas Movie 43 is just a complete assault on anyone's sensibilities. I work with someone who proudly exclaims he's seen Birdemic 17 times, but it's the kind of movie you'd expect someone to make who's never actually met a human being before. Or a bird. The bottom three are just movies I found incredibly annoying.

I'll just do the worst ones that I've seen, far easier ... and in no particular order (other than alphabetic) - crap is crap is crap after all:
  • Aaaaaaaah! (2015)
  • Bait (2014)
  • Devil's Due (2014)
  • Happy Christmas (2014)
  • Movie 43 (2013)
  • Powder Room (2013)
  • Spaceship (2016)
  • The Bay (2012)
  • The Quiet Ones (2014)
  • Willow Creek (2013)

I really ought to get around to Birdemic one of these days.

The Worst (in no particular order....and not counting crappy horror films that you never heard of)

Another Year (2010)
Batman vs Superman Dawn of Justice(2016)
The Danish Girl (2015)
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (2012)
A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)
Rings (2017)
Scary Movie 5 (2013)
Snow White and the Huntsmen (2012)
The Turin Horse (2011)
Willow Creek (2013)

And my top ten...

American Hustle (2013)
The Awakening (2011)
Everest (2015)
Logan (2017)
Looper (2012)
Midnight in Paris (2011)
Moonrise Kingdom (2012)
Nightcrawler (2014)
The Skin I live in (2011)
This is the End (2013)

So much hate for Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice. I really liked the extended edition when I saw it and would most likely have it on 20 best films list at the moment even though it (somewhat barely) missed the 10 best.

Welcome to the human race...
The nicest thing I can say about Kick-Ass is that it's not Kick-Ass 2. Kinda surprised that neither of them are liable to make my worst of the 2010s list.

The nicest thing I can say about Kick-Ass is that it's not Kick-Ass 2. Kinda surprised that neither of them are liable to make my worst of the 2010s list.
The sequel is quite bad, I admit. Funeral scene and the following chase are pretty much only decent stuff in it. But yeah, not sure why you hate the original but to me it's one of the best action comedies with interesting characters (being so silly it obviously doesn't fully utilize their, eh... dramatic potential but it's super entertaining). It also has extremely well done action scenes.

I don't think either would be in my top ten or bottom ten of Super Hero films from this last decade...

1. Logan
  2. Captain American Winter Soldier
  3. Guardians of the Galaxy
  4. Deadpool
  5. Captain America Civil War
  6. X-men Days of Futures Past
  7. Super
  8. Avengers Infinity War
  9. Thor Ragnarok
  10. Spiderman:Homecoming
  1. Batman V Supermanawn of Justice
  2. Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance
  3. The Amazing Spider-man 2
  4. Justice League
  5. Green Lantern
  6. Venom
  7. Fantastic Four
  8. X-men Apocalypse
  9. Thor Dark World
  10. Iron Man 2

Welcome to the human race...
This is the second of two reviews I did on it, but in short I don't think there's anything fun or interesting about its half-assed ironic deconstruction of superheroes, to say nothing of how flimsy I find its actual action and comedy.

These are only the ones I've seen:

My Favorites:
2010: Toy Story 3, The Illusionist, Inception, Tangled, Senna, The Secret World of Arrietty, Chico & Rita, How to Train Your Dragon
2011: Drive, Leafie: A Hen Into the Wild, Kung Fu Panda 2, The Adventures of Tintin, The Rabbi's Cat, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, From Up on Poppy Hill, Arthur Christmas, Rise of the Planet of the Apes
2012: Wolf Children, It's Such a Beautiful Day, Django Unchained, ParaNorman, Argo, Ernest and Celestine
2013: The Wind Rises, Snowpiercer, The World's End, The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, Frozen, Boy and the World
2014: When Marnie Was There, Song of the Sea, The Grand Budapest Hotel, What We Do in the Shadows, Interstellar, The Lego Movie, X-Men: Days of Future Past, The Babadook, John Wick, Paddington, Edge of Tomorrow, How to Train Your Dragon 2, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
2015: Anomalisa, The Revenant, Mad Max: Fury Road, Inside Out, The Boy and the Beast, April and the Extraordinary World, Birdboy: The Forgotten Children, The Martian, Sicario
2016: Your Name, Tower, Kubo and the Two Strings, In This Corner of the World, A Monster Calls, Zootopia, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Hacksaw Ridge, My Life as a Zucchini, Ethel & Ernest
2017: Logan, Paddington 2, War for the Planet of the Apes, Baby Driver, Coco, Dunkirk, You Were Never Really Here, All the Money in the World
2018: Won't You Be My Neighbor?, Isle of Dogs, Roma, Mission Impossible: Fallout, Hereditary
2019: Apollo 11, Toy Story 4, How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

Least Favorites:
2010: The Last Airbender, Fred: The Movie, Alice in Wonderland, Birdemic, Alpha and Omega, Tooth Fairy, The Nutcracker, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Grown Ups, Clash of the Titans, The Drawn Together Movie, Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief, Piranha
2011: Jack and Jill, Green Lantern, Hoodwinked Too!, Zookeeper, Hop, Mars Needs Moms, The Smurfs, Cars 2, Transformers: Dark of the Moon
2012: Where the Dead Go To Die, Foodfight, Oogieloves and the Big Balloon Adventure, Piranha 3DD, The Three Stooges, Taken 2
2013: Birdemic 2, Movie 43, After Earth, Legend of Oz: Dorothy's Return, A Good Day to Die Hard, Walking with Dinosaurs, Free Birds, Escape from Planet Earth, Oldboy
2014: Saving Christmas, Left Behind, God's Not Dead, The Legend of Hercules, Maleficent, Transformers: Age of Extinction, The Nut Job, Pompeii, Taken 3
2015: Fant4stic, Fifty Shades of Grey, Jem and the Holograms, Pixels, Hell and Back, Strange Magic, Minions, Cool Cat Saves the Kids
2016: Norm of the North, Nine Lives, The Wild Life, The Disappointment's Room, Suicide Squad, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Trolls
2017: The Emoji Movie, F the Prom, Woody Woodpecker, The Bye Bye Man, Death Note, Transformers: The Last Knight, Beauty and the Beast, Ghost in the Shell, Fifty Shades Darker, The Mummy, The Dark Tower, Justice League, The Star
2018: Swiped, The Slender Man, Show Dogs, Holmes and Watson, Fifty Shades Freed, The Predator, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
2019: Kim Possible, Arctic Dogs, Ugly Dolls, Murder Mystery, Aladdin, The Lion King, Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

These are only the ones I've seen:

My Favorites:
2010: Toy Story 3, The Illusionist, Inception, Tangled, Senna, The Secret World of Arrietty, Chico & Rita, How to Train Your Dragon
2011: Drive, Leafie: A Hen Into the Wild, Kung Fu Panda 2, The Adventures of Tintin, The Rabbi's Cat, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, From Up on Poppy Hill, Arthur Christmas, Rise of the Planet of the Apes
2012: Wolf Children, It's Such a Beautiful Day, Django Unchained, ParaNorman, Argo, Ernest and Celestine
2013: The Wind Rises, Snowpiercer, The World's End, The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, Frozen, Boy and the World
2014: When Marnie Was There, Song of the Sea, The Grand Budapest Hotel, What We Do in the Shadows, Interstellar, The Lego Movie, X-Men: Days of Future Past, The Babadook, John Wick, Paddington, Edge of Tomorrow, How to Train Your Dragon 2, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
2015: Anomalisa, The Revenant, Mad Max: Fury Road, Inside Out, The Boy and the Beast, April and the Extraordinary World, Birdboy: The Forgotten Children, The Martian, Sicario
2016: Your Name, Tower, Kubo and the Two Strings, In This Corner of the World, A Monster Calls, Zootopia, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Hacksaw Ridge, My Life as a Zucchini, Ethel & Ernest
2017: Logan, Paddington 2, War for the Planet of the Apes, Baby Driver, Coco, Dunkirk, You Were Never Really Here, All the Money in the World
2018: Won't You Be My Neighbor?, Isle of Dogs, Roma, Mission Impossible: Fallout, Hereditary
2019: Apollo 11, Toy Story 4, How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

Least Favorites:
2010: The Last Airbender, Fred: The Movie, Alice in Wonderland, Birdemic, Alpha and Omega, Tooth Fairy, The Nutcracker, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Grown Ups, Clash of the Titans, The Drawn Together Movie, Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief, Piranha
2011: Jack and Jill, Green Lantern, Hoodwinked Too!, Zookeeper, Hop, Mars Needs Moms, The Smurfs, Cars 2, Transformers: Dark of the Moon
2012: Where the Dead Go To Die, Foodfight, Oogieloves and the Big Balloon Adventure, Piranha 3DD, The Three Stooges, Taken 2
2013: Birdemic 2, Movie 43, After Earth, Legend of Oz: Dorothy's Return, A Good Day to Die Hard, Walking with Dinosaurs, Free Birds, Escape from Planet Earth, Oldboy
2014: Saving Christmas, Left Behind, God's Not Dead, The Legend of Hercules, Maleficent, Transformers: Age of Extinction, The Nut Job, Pompeii, Taken 3
2015: Fant4stic, Fifty Shades of Grey, Jem and the Holograms, Pixels, Hell and Back, Strange Magic, Minions, Cool Cat Saves the Kids
2016: Norm of the North, Nine Lives, The Wild Life, The Disappointment's Room, Suicide Squad, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Trolls
2017: The Emoji Movie, F the Prom, Woody Woodpecker, The Bye Bye Man, Death Note, Transformers: The Last Knight, Beauty and the Beast, Ghost in the Shell, Fifty Shades Darker, The Mummy, The Dark Tower, Justice League, The Star
2018: Swiped, The Slender Man, Show Dogs, Holmes and Watson, Fifty Shades Freed, The Predator, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
2019: Kim Possible, Arctic Dogs, Ugly Dolls, Murder Mystery, Aladdin, The Lion King, Maleficent: Mistress of Evil
You must be an animation fan like me. I loved Toy Story 3 and 4, Inside Out was great too. Also nice that Mary and Max is in your profile top ten, that’s a fantastic movie.