James Dean

Tools    

A bucket of anxiety
Any of you hear about this??
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...edium=referral

This CGI nonsense is going WAY too far. Making old actors young again was already a stretch for me but now they're just going to recreate an actor who isn't living anymore? I'm not sure I've ever seen a James Dean film and it's sad that he died so young but you can't tell me that there isn't a single person on Earth who could have a career right now instead of spending God knows how much money for a creation of the same poo poo???? ("poo poo" as in bad word, not as in James Dean is poo poo)

I have mixed feelings about this "deepfake" stuff.

It's interesting, but has the potential for a lot of bad stuff (including having actors appear in movies or do things they never consented to because they're dead).

One of the more effective uses I saw not too long ago was resurrecting Peter Cushing for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016).

Using CGI to recreate the image of an actor who has passed away is something that has been happening for decades. The difference here is that it's usually done in bits and pieces in order to complete a film when an actor dies during production (this was done for some of Oliver Reed's scenes in Gladiator, for example), rather than being used for an entire "performance."

The article states that they bought the rights to his image from his family, but this still doesn't seem ethical at all to me. That said, I don't like war movies and generally avoid dog movies, so it's not something I would watch regardless. It will be interesting to see how people respond to it, though.

As an aside, East of Eden is a great movie. Highly recommend it.

A bucket of anxiety
Using CGI to recreate the image of an actor who has passed away is something that has been happening for decades. The difference here is that it's usually done in bits and pieces in order to complete a film when an actor dies during production (this was done for some of Oliver Reed's scenes in Gladiator, for example), rather than being used for an entire "performance."

The article states that they bought the rights to his image from his family, but this still doesn't seem ethical at all to me. That said, I don't like war movies and generally avoid dog movies, so it's not something I would watch regardless. It will be interesting to see how people respond to it, though.

As an aside, East of Eden is a great movie. Highly recommend it.
I'm concerned for the family. They obviously want to see their loved one but it'll either look fantastic or it'll be an uncanny, soulless, PS2 puppet that's also James Dean. That'd be horrifying. Actually, now that I think of it, it's almost inevitable. CG has a bad habit of aging poorly. Yikes!

Yeah this is weird. It think it goes a bit too far. A big role with a dead actor resurrected with CG. How do you credit him for this movie? As James Dean? As the possible motion capture guy? As the one who animates him? (Which is probably more than one so therefore James Dean will be “played by” a bunch of people?)

I don’t know man...

A bucket of anxiety
Yeah this is weird. It think it goes a bit too far. A big role with a dead actor resurrected with CG. How do you credit him for this movie? As James Dean? As the possible motion capture guy? As the one who animates him? (Which is probably more than one so therefore James Dean will be “played by” a bunch of people?)

I don’t know man...
The voice actor?