MoFo Fantasy Football 2022 - Sign-Ups

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
I am in the same boat with my RB picks, but considering the luck I have had over the last couple of years with my RBs, that position just seems more and more like a crap shoot. I won a couple of key games last season while relying on Chubba Hubbard, who I just picked up off FA as a cuff for the oft-injured McCaffrey. Will Carolina's elite back go down again this season? Who knows, but you know, probably!

My pass catchers need to perform, and my early round, dynamic QB needs to stay healthy and involved. If that happens, I think I will be OK.

Lots of luck involved, as usual.

And since I've complimented Spaulding on his Fantasy Football Superpower, I've created moral license for myself to talk about mine: breakout WRs.

Last year it was Chase (and it should tell you how badly the earlier picks went, and how weird the point distribution was week-by-week, that I nabbed Chase in the mid-rounds and still didn't make the playoffs). The year before it was Jefferson. This year they're the consensus 2/3 (some have Jefferson above Kupp, even) and they were both mid-round fliers for me the last two years.

Way back in my first year (2008), it was Calvin Johnson, right before he broke out. I specifically remember Bill Simmons on a podcast talking about fantasy, and wondering why anyone would take a chance on a young guy like Johnson when a proven commodity like Chad Johnson was going for around the same price. Whoopsie.

That wasn't exactly the start of the idea that you should be betting on those younger breakout candidates over the safer vets, but sometime in the past few years that's become part of standard strategy, as opposed to some fringe thing I used to get a lot of mileage out of. Increasingly it's about the home run pick, the home run play. I kinda don't like it as much, as it feels more random, but I can't deny it was a huge advantage before everyone started focusing on it.

Not sure I really have a guy like that this year, though. That's the ripple effect of taking Kupp early: the later spots where I'd be looking for that home run breakout receiver went to a guy like Akers instead, out of necessity.

If there's anyone who fits the bill, it's Mooney, who would be a massive beneficiary if Fields takes a step forward in Chicago, but it's interesting to ponder how that first choice of a receiver ripples throughout the draft, in a way that maybe cut against something I usually do well. We'll see!

A system of cells interlinked
Ah, football...

We don't read player updates like these in baseball much...

" Still, with him putting the ball on the turf in the preseason, his early down work was out the window until Brian Robinson sustained multiple gunshot wounds in an attempted robbery. Gibson's hold on the job, even if Robinson is sidelined, should be considered tentative."