Daniel M's Top 100 - 2014

→ in
Tools    

Rosemarys Baby is absolutely brilliant. I've wanted to see all the others, especially Drowning by numbers

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
Daniel, what have you become

(I kid)

Reviews

This is going to be great .

Con Air is just dumb fun. I don't like it as much as you, but films like this are what makes these lists great.

Of the second bunch i have only watched The Graduate which i loved, it has one of the best suited soundtracks of all movies imo. I clearly need to get moving on the rest of them.

From the second bunch i love Rosemarys Baby, Sunset Boulevard and especially Double Indemnity which i personally think is among the best cinema has to offer. Never watched or actually heard of Drowning by Numbers to be honest, but it's now on my watchlist.

I love everything I've seen from this list so far, and I'm interested in seeing most of those that I haven't.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I adore your aesthetics.

I like the list so far.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Fantastic start so far Daniel! I love pretty much everything I've seen, from the Wilder classics to Dreyer's masterpiece Ordet.

Werner Herzog is a fascinating director whose work I really ought to explore more. Filmed on location, facing the extremes of the Amazon river, and making sacrifices in order to make a truly great, mesmirising film. Klaus Kinski is unforgettable in the lead role as we watch his descent into madness.
A few weeks ago and this film would not have made my list. When I first watched it I had mixed feelings, but now I believe that it is one of Kubrick's best. The film truly captures the madness, horror and hypocrisy of war, looking at the different challenges those involved faced. As always with Kubrick, the film is superbly photographed and has a great sense of dark humour.
As you will find with many films still to come on this, I massively admire ambitious films that aim to take a look into a human life, collections of moments, memorys and dreams that come together perfectly like a collage in a way that is emotionally powerful. can perhaps be described as the movie to end all movies, about the life of a director, and The Mirror is often regarded as the greatest non-linear art house film. When it comes to animation, this delightful short attempts something similar and succeeds, a masterpiece of animation.
Often described as an 'acid western', I can not really add much more than that. Jodorowsky's film is unforgettable, using striking imagery and peculiar editing to create a fascinating piece of art that feels highly personal yet makes for a very fun experience.
A fantatsic blend of horror, comedy and mystery makes Scream one of my personal favourite horror films. Whilst its sometimes less than serious tone some people seem reluctant to group this with other more 'respected' horror classics, but it is just as good. The opening scene is a mini-masterpiece itself, and from there on in it continues to be great fun. Filled with film references, homages, and self aware comedy, it is a film that absolutely succeeds in what it attempts and should be a treat for all horror film fans.

I don't care at all for Scream. Tale of Tales was a fascinating film that made my 70s list (though has no chance of making the countdown) so for that.

Haven't seen the others.

I just watched Aguirre again last night. Such a masterpiece, one of the best movies ever made for sure. El Topo is great (I'm a massive Jodorowsky fan), Scream is great, and I dig Full Metal Jacket too.

Klaus Kinski is unforgettable in the lead role as we watch his descent into madness.
You know, I was thinking about this last night. He's kind of mad even when the film begins.

You know, I was thinking about this last night. He's kind of mad even when the film begins.
Kinski was mad from the moment he was born .

Loved Aguirre, Klaus Kinski here is probably in my top 10 performances ever, but after watching My Best Friend i'm starting to wonder if he was acting at all .

Also really like Scream and Full Metal Jacket. Haven't seen the rest

What an awesome set, and I there's tingly enough as the rankings increase my rating increased for each movie went up by half a star (skipping El Topo which I have not seen yet). Starting with Aguirre at
the set just gets better from there, and I truly understand why you love each movie. I'm so jealous of your graphics too.

El Topo
Wouldn't say I hated it, just couldn't get into it. Should probably give it another try some day since I loved The Holy Mountain
Aguirre
Watched this almost a year ago and I've stayed away from Herzog since
Full Metal Jacket
+rep for this one

I liked Aguirre.
For me personally, it works more as an admirable piece of cinema than a purely enjoyable film, though, but then again, out of that admiration I still get a high degree of enjoyment, so ultimately it definitely ends up far on the positive side of "my balance". I wouldn't rank it as a favorite of mine, but it's an incredible film and I highly respect it.

Full Metal Jacket is also on my list, so you already know that I love that one.

Scream is a solid movie. It's definitely smart in its construction and I enjoyed watching it, but I personally wouldn't rank it as a favorite because it lacks resonance for me personally.
The reason for that is probably my general lack of interest in the slasher genre, even though I can't deny that some of them are fun watching experiences. Scream is definitely one of the best, because of its unique approach, so I can see why fans of the genre love it so much.

Haven't seen the other two, but definitely will in the future! El Topo looks amazing.