News

Tools    

I've done a search on 'news' and we don't seem to have a general news thread. So here goes

Britain is getting a new £1 coin to replace the old one as apparently up to 6% of the current ones are counterfeit . The new coin will be the most difficult to copy in the world.

The Queen's showing her age on this one

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/0...A2H2CL20140319

I don't really understand why this is such a difficult coin to forge. I understand that it'll be more difficult than the current coin, but still. My guess is that being the most difficult coin in the world to forge isn't that big a boast and certainly isn't the same as being difficult to forge.

Two news things that have annoyed me this week. Both from the papers, so maybe that doesn't count in this thread?

Firstly, the missing jet. Front page news for more than a week despite there not actually being any news. I know that they're not NEWSpapers anymore, but if they're going to keep up the pretence, then they should do a better job.

Secondly, the death of L'Wren Scott being reported in all but one newspaper with huge front page pictures of Mick Jagger and the red tops mostly being the moment he found out she was dead, rather than that she'd died. I think The Independent was the only British paper to have a picture of her on her own.

I've had, literally, hundreds of fake £ coins over the years. First one I ever had was about 15 years ago.

They're usually heavier, look like they're made from a finely perforated metal and are a soft enough metal that you can actually bend them with your fingers.

I've had plenty, too, and I'm sure these new ones will be more difficult to forge than the current lot. Until I know what the hell Integrated Secure Identification System is, I can't whether or not it'll be difficult to forge. As I said before, my guess is that's not such a grand boast.

Two news things that have annoyed me this week. Both from the papers, so maybe that doesn't count in this thread?

Firstly, the missing jet. Front page news for more than a week despite there not actually being any news. I know that they're not NEWSpapers anymore, but if they're going to keep up the pretence, then they should do a better job.

Secondly, the death of L'Wren Scott being reported in all but one newspaper with huge front page pictures of Mick Jagger and the red tops mostly being the moment he found out she was dead, rather than that she'd died. I think The Independent was the only British paper to have a picture of her on her own.
We can make it an annoying newspaper thread too Hun

That sort of repetition of rumours in place of reporting actual news is pretty annoying and really commonplace now. There just isn't any news about what's happened to the flight and that's something they can't see. It may never even be found.

Yes, I know what you mean about the death of L'Wren Scott.

Lots of reporting on any celebrity death is pretty distasteful, specially all the speculation. They don't let the truth get in the way.

The People's Republic of Clogher
As long as it's good quality chocolate under the foil, I'll be happy. And if they'll still fit in trolleys.

Talking of fakery, have any of you over in Anglia been stopped recently by Customs & Excise wanting to check if your car's fuel is legit? It's happened to me twice in the last month and I've only almost been arrested once.

"Is she a diesel yoke?" Quoth the PSNI officer at the roadblock.

I burst out laughing.

The laundered stuff, basically. Red/green diesel put through various homemade filters to remove the colour.

Another time I almost got arrested was a few years ago when I had a row with the Plod who stopped me ... when I was driving a petrol Jeep.

This bothers me quite a bit. 90% is really high. That's messed up man. We gotta do better.

This bothers me quite a bit. 90% is really high. That's messed up man. We gotta do better.
It's a vile practice. Shocking also to discover that even tho FGM has been illegal in the UK for 10 years, young girls are sent from here back to the old country to be mutilated. Thankfully the spotlight has now fallen on this practice and a few brave young women from these communities have stood up and said no more . There's been a lot of publicity here in Bristol where I live which has a large Somali community. Education is the only thing which will work so let's hope in time, with the help of the women in the communities where it's practised, midwives, teachers, social workers, it will die out

This is one of the youngsters leading the way
http://integratebristol.org.uk/2014/...grate-bristol/

Yes, this is something which will only be irradicated by education and, therefore, time. Frankly, I feel the same way about circumcision, but at least that's not done as a measure of control.

They were doing some interviews of some of the mothers in Egypt on NPR. Or maybe it was the British version of public radio I can't remember which. It's really kinda sad how beaten down women are in this part of the world. A lot of the mothers actually think this practice is good for their daughters. Or have been so emotionally beaten down that they are forced into believing this horrific thing.

It's really kinda sad how beaten down women are in this part of the world.
Sadly, they're beaten down in much of the world.

Another front page about the missing jet today. Story about it being hijacked to fly into a secret US island installation. At least, I think that's what it was. TBH I switched off before the end of the headline. Is there any point to The Star?

Yeah, the jet stories are getting kinda far-fetched and will probably continue to be until some wreckage is confirmed. It took a few years to find the Air France plane and they had the benefit of some floating wreckage to guide the investigators.

They were doing some interviews of some of the mothers in Egypt on NPR. Or maybe it was the British version of public radio I can't remember which. It's really kinda sad how beaten down women are in this part of the world. A lot of the mothers actually think this practice is good for their daughters. Or have been so emotionally beaten down that they are forced into believing this horrific thing.
In the news today in the UK is the very first prosecution for FGM under a law introduced in 1985. That's how secretive the practice is, because it's carried out with the family's consent it's very hard to get enough evidence to prosecute. Let's hope if these two men are guilty they can represent a deterrent for the future

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26681364

Another part of the story apparently is that mothers that have left Egypt are secretly sending their daughters back to have this done.

And yeah, even the so-called non mainstream news channels can't stop with this f*cking plane already. Pretty crazy story but is it really a story until they find something? Bah...

What do you fine folks across the pond think of this Obama-Putin pissing match? Shouldn't the real story be that their may be a Neo-Nazi group in control of the entire Ukrainian gov right now? And in just a short months time they have done a complete 180 on almost all of the stuff that was said when they took over in what has been a called a "bloody coup". To me, this is a Russian issue and Obama should butt the hell out. Just who do we think we are exactly? I'm still waiting for the hordes of Russian and Ukrainians too for that matter; to come out and tell the world how messed up Putin is and how all this is wrong. But mostly it seems the Russians feel that justice is being done. So my question: Why the hell is the US involved. Who owes us money?

And yeah, even the so-called non mainstream news channels can't stop with this f*cking plane already. Pretty crazy story but is it really a story until they find something? Bah...
Absolutely. If this has to be a story, then it should be on the families of the missing and, in particular, the way they're being treated by the Malaysian authorities. I've not followed this closely, but there does seem to be some suggestion that the Malaysians are holding something back.

What do you fine folks across the pond think of this Obama-Putin pissing match? Shouldn't the real story be that their may be a Neo-Nazi group in control of the entire Ukrainian gov right now? And in just a short months time they have done a complete 180 on almost all of the stuff that was said when they took over in what has been a called a "bloody coup". To me, this is a Russian issue and Obama should butt the hell out. Just who do we think we are exactly? I'm still waiting for the hordes of Russian and Ukrainians too for that matter; to come out and tell the world how messed up Putin is and how all this is wrong. But mostly it seems the Russians feel that justice is being done. So my question: Why the hell is the US involved. Who owes us money?
The whole situation has been mismanaged from the start. Not just the US and Obama, but from the EU, too. Both as a bloc and the individual counties. My own for a start. Ukraine is, essentially, a buffer nation between Russia and the EU. If you start making overtones to them, asking them to 'join your side', then you have to expect a reaction. Especially one from a 'new' nation, that feels defeated/emasculated and bullied.

From what I can tell, the 'old' regime had been proposed to and, was looking to accept, the invitation from the EU to join. Putin then put in a 'counter offer' accompanied with a bit of a threat and hard stare. 'Old' regime did a 180 and accepted the Russian offer. Cue protest. All of which escalated and went horribly wrong and ended up with the 'old' regime running for the hills (having robbed the nation blind) and a disgraced and rather dodgy set of people becoming the 'new' government. We, the West, seemed to've backed all this and thought it was good idea, despite the 'old' government having been democratically elected and that there was only a year to go before new elections which, had they so wished, the country could've thrown him and his government out of office. This is always what our declared aim is for the world. Democratically elected governments for nations. We don't mean it, of course, we mean ones we like and approve of and, mainly, will trade openly with us, but we should at least try to live up to it publically. It's difficult to maintain the moral high ground over Crimea given the behaviour of our nation over the last 13 years, let alone the rest of our history.

I don't think the annexing of Crimea was legal and neither do I think the question they were asked legal either, as there wasn't an option to stay as part of Ukraine, but then, I don't think the current Ukrainian government is legal, either, so it's difficult to argue for them. As I said at the start, I think the whole thing has been a huge, mishandled mess from the start. I don't see Crimea going back to Ukraine and, given its history and population, I don't know if they'd want to.

Just to make it clear, as my opinion isn't anything like the official mainstream news line, I have no time for Putin and he'd already shown his colours in his first stint in power, the way he maneuvered Medvedev into and out of power, but if you continue to poke a bear, you can't be surprised when it reacts. And poking that bear is what the US has been doing, pretty much since the wall came down and certainly since Bush's time. The 'lillypadding' policy aimed at warning off/ringing Russia was only ever going to annoy them and making them insecure and less trusting of what they were told. There's no point in doing it and claiming otherwise as, what's important, is the perception and not the intent.

I don't know if Putin will go into eastern Ukraine or not. Opinion seems to be that it's a distinct possibility, but last night I saw a guy, who's been involved with Russia and its economy since the early 90's, saying he'd been astounded if Putin went in. As I've said, I have no idea but, if Ukraine is as culturally divided as it seems, then an East/West split seems more than possible in the future.

Obama did mention that he had no plans for a war with Russia. Well, that's a relief. I mean, it's a pretty short flight from Afghanistan but I'm sure our troops would rather come home instead.