Hendrix

→ in
Tools    

I could not even finish this one...that's how bad it was...
Hendrix was suppose to be a biography based on the life of Jimmi Hendrix...
Who I happen to be a fan of and know much about....
Here's my evaluation of the film in list form...
1. The guy they chose to play Jimmi Hendrix was not even a real musician...
a. Nothing annoys me more in biographies depicting musicians...when the actor chosen to play the role, can't even play in real life, what the musician their acting like, did...
And during musical scenes, it was so obviouse the actor was just rubbing their hands across the strings of the guitar, totally off note and rythmn to the selection being played...very annoying...

I mean with all the true real life musicians, could they not have found someone who could really play the guitar and who really has a passion for guitar? Why cast just any actor to play the role of the most famous guitarist of all time, and they don't know a dime about how to play. That aspect totally wrecked the film...

2. The actor they choose to play Jimmi, was no Jimmi...he, they, felt more like a rapper, trying to play Jimmi, and did not at all capture a true 1965 hippie counter culture guy from the Pacific NW.
He looked much goofier than Jimmi, and wasn't nearly as good looking.

3. The actors did not act the role of people from that generation, nor did it reflect in their hairstyles or mannerisms...they behaved more like people would in the late 1990's...
a. That's a pet peeve of mine...if your going to depict people of a different era, than reflect them in all ways...study the times, the attitudes, the clothing, the swagger ect ect...

Anyways...it was so bad I couldn't finish watching it...
If you wanna know more about Hendrix, I suggest reading a book titled 'A room full of mirrors'...

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Look. I've never even heard of the film, so I'm going to cut you some slack, but how can anybody "be a fan and know much about" Jimi Hendrix if they don't even know his first name?

Or just watch Woodstock. Not really a Doc about Jimi and yet you get the point. And if nothing else, after watching him play it may make you go and read up on the man. I used to own an excellent radio series featuring Hendrix, the name of it escapes me right now. I may still have it somewhere. It was excellent. It was the first time I learned about his penchant for trying to make his guitar sound like the noises he heard when he was flying through the air back during his Airborne days. Good stuff indeed.

Wood Harris is the best part of this film. His relaxed style makes you actually think he's the real McCoy. The story is entertaining, but not exceptional and we don't get to see enough into the deeper side(s) of Hendrix. 5 of 10