Movie Forums Top 100 of the 2010s - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

I guess I will say, by my count, about 8-10 of those movies will probably be on my ballot. It's kind of a mixed list (without counting, I'd guess there's probably ~10 on there I have little to no interest in seeing) as these lists often are.

I think it's pretty well put together, personally, but to each their own.
I think it’s pretty good. There’s stuff on there I don’t particularly care for but that’s to be expected from any list. More diversity than you see on most lists.

I’m sure these lists are compiled by a scoring system from a bunch of critics. We always treat these things like there’s one pretentious dude in a room figuring out how to piss us off.

I think it’s pretty good. There’s stuff on there I don’t particularly care for but that’s to be expected from any list. More diversity than you see on most lists.

I’m sure these lists are compiled by a scoring system from a bunch of critics. We always treat these things like there’s one pretentious dude in a room figuring out how to piss us off.
Yeah, that's how I view those lists. If every movie list I came across consisted solely of films I gave 9/10's and 10//10's to, that would be pretty uninteresting as then I'd just be looking at a reflection of my own opinion. Rather, the reason I enjoy looking up lists like those are to see what other people's tastes in film are, even if they don't quite match up to my own. I'd say the list was pretty well put together as, regardless of whether the films on there are to your taste or not, there's no denying that many of them have a great deal of popularity and are commonly listed as being among the best films of the decade, or among the best of the respective years they were released (there's also a decent selection of foreign releases, to boot).

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
RollingStone's 50 Best Movies of the 2010s

I've seen 17 movies on this list, but I don't expect any of them to make my list.

Ok, I don't generally go anywhere near these types of lists but I'll admit curiosity got the better of me - mid-30s seen for me, a lot of good stuff there alongside some that imho isn't .... which I think probably makes it fairly typical for this sort of thing.

I think the best purpose of these lists, particularly when presented without any type of write-up or argument for what's good about these films, is basically to act as a list of recommendations, and not actually intended as some type of definitive ranking of films. Psychologically, it's kind of hard to treat the initial encounter with them as the former and not the latter.

I think however, even trying to treat it as the latter, these type of lists often fall short when a person doesn't see their tastes reflected in them to some degree, because if you have limited time, and there's a number of movies on the list, particularly high up on the list they you didn't like or maybe liked, but not loved, then the conveyance of priority viewing of movies on the list you haven't seen, kind of gets lost.
There's a lot of perfectly good movies out there that if I don't see, won't result in the feeling like I've missed something that I truly loved.

I know, I know... I know it's not obligatory, but I only saw the first one a couple of years ago, and The Road Warrior earlier this year. I'm a bit of a completist, so I didn't wanna jump into that one until I had seen the previous ones, so I only have Thunderdome to complete before finally going into Fury Road.

I know, I know... I know it's not obligatory, but I only saw the first one a couple of years ago, and The Road Warrior earlier this year. I'm a bit of a completist, so I didn't wanna jump into that one until I had seen the previous ones, so I only have Thunderdome to complete before finally going into Fury Road.
Dude. You absolutely do not need to have seen or know anything about the previous movies to watch Fury Road. Like, at all. Max isn't even really the main character. Just watch it.

Dude. You absolutely do not need to have seen or know anything about the previous movies to watch Fury Road. Like, at all. Max isn't even really the main character. Just watch it.
Again, I know but like I said, I'm very A-type about this kind of thing.

Again, I know but like I said, I'm very A-type about this kind of thing.
It’s extremely overrated anyway. Maybe if you don’t watch it we can keep it out of the top ten of this shindig.

Some of my recommendations:

Tomboy (2011)
The Wise Kids (2011)
Beyond the Hills (2012)
It's Such a Beautiful Day (2012)
Córki dancingu (2015)
Mustang (2015)
Cigarettes et chocolat chaud (2016)
Black Cop (2017)
Thunder Road (2018)
Justine (2019)

Mustang is a very good movie. And that Belgian actor, I can't remember his name, puts in an incredible performance barely saying anything. That film really stayed with me.

Now that's divisive.

I'm not sure I know anyone who loves it. I know a few people who are like "Yeah, it was alright" and a few people who hate it.

I thought it was kind of a let down.
Yeah that is my reaction to Prometheus, but I would still like the franchise to go on. And I love Michael Fassbender.

RollingStone's 50 Best Movies of the 2010s

[collapse]1. Moonlight (2016)
2. The Social Network (2010)
3. Holy Motors (2012)
4. Boyhood (2014)
5. Get Out (2017)
6. Toni Erdmann (2016)
7. The Master (2012)
8. Roma (2018)
9. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
10. Carol (2015)
11. Phantom Thread (2017)
12. Parasite (2019)
13. A Separation (2011)
14. Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)
15. Faces Places (2017)
16. 12 Years a Slave (2013)
17. Winter's Bone (2010)
18. Under the Skin (2014)
19. Anomalisa (2015)
20. The Irishman (2019)
21. Burning (2018)
22. Lady Bird (2017)
23. Dunkirk (2017)
24. The Act of Killing (2012)
25. Selma (2014)
26. Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (2010)
27. Cold War (2018)
28. Spring Breakers (2012)
29. Zero Dark Thirty (2012)
30. The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)
31. Meek's Cutoff (2010)
32. No (2012)
33. The Lobster (2015)
34. You Were Never Really Here (2018)
35. Tangerine (2015)
36. We Are the Best! (2013)
37. 45 Years (2015)
38. Zama (2018)
39. First Reformed (2018)
40. Call Me by Your Name (2017)
41. I Am Not Your Negro (2017)
42. Elena (2011)
43. Amour (2012)
44. Hereditary (2018)
45. Black Coal, Thin Ice (2014)
46. Personal Shopper (2016)
47. Lincoln (2012)
48. The Tribe (2014)
49. Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood (2019)
50. Black Panther (2018)
I found Inside Llewyn Davis to be hilarious. The whole nonsense with the cat, his coach surfing and rudeness. It took me back to my childhood. My parents were deep into that scene. We spent our nights running around a folk club and in the morning some folk singer would be asleep on our coach. It definitely brought back some memories. No one else in the theater was laughing though and my friend was giving me the side eye. But still I loved it.

I just want to thank SpelingError for posting all these lists. It helped me reminded me of the films of have seen.
Just trying to keep this thread active as long as I can.

Mustang is a very good movie. And that Belgian actor, I can't remember his name, puts in an incredible performance barely saying anything. That film really stayed with me.
Thief is talking about Mustang from 2015, which is about a group of girls who are kept confined in their home to keep them "pure." You're talking about The Mustang from 2019 with Matthias Schoenaerts (who I think is a fantastic actor) about the program where prisoners help raise and train horses.

I think they're both really good films.

You know another one with Schoenaerts that I think is worth checking out? Disorder (2015). It's a suspense/thriller that never quite gets to the point of being great, but I really liked it. He plays a former soldier with PTSD who is hired as a bodyguard for a woman and her child. As things start to seem strange, the question is whether something is really going on, or whether he is suffering from paranoia. Diane Kruger (who I also love) is the other lead and she's great.

Thief is talking about Mustang from 2015, which is about a group of girls who are kept confined in their home to keep them "pure." You're talking about The Mustang from 2019 with Matthias Schoenaerts (who I think is a fantastic actor) about the program where prisoners help raise and train horses.

I think they're both really good films.

You know another one with Schoenaerts that I think is worth checking out? Disorder (2015). It's a suspense/thriller that never quite gets to the point of being great, but I really liked it. He plays a former soldier with PTSD who is hired as a bodyguard for a woman and her child. As things start to seem strange, the question is whether something is really going on, or whether he is suffering from paranoia. Diane Kruger (who I also love) is the other lead and she's great.
Yea you are right I was thinking of the prison movie. I definitely check out the Disorder. Thanks for the reccommendation.