Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

It's definitely not stupid. It may not be completely historically accurate, but it is well made and entertaining.
If by "not completely historically accurate" you mean turning the slave-trading, human-sacrificing warmongers into protectors of the African freedom, then sure (at least that's the impression given by the trailer)

Oh, can you please spoil me and tell me which year the film happened and who the evil Europeans were?

[Foreign Correspondent] I definitely agree on all accounts. If you click on my full review on my personal thread, I drool over Sanders quite a bit. He's great in everything I've seen him in, but I definitely need to check out more.

Re: Hitchcock and Selznick, they were definitely at odds with each other starting with Rebecca, but their relationship would continue all through the 40's, pretty much because there was a contract. But Hitchcock would find ways to walk in and out of it to do other stuff, like this. But they collaborated later on Spellbound, The Paradine Case, and Under Capricorn.
Yes, I did read your review, and it was a good one. Selznick must have been a real pill. Hitchcock got pretty crafty when working with him. He said in his Truffaut interviews that since he primarily used story boards he could shoot only the film that he needed for his story. That prevented Selznick from coming in and editing it, changing the story.

He stated that in Rebecca, Selznick had actually wanted the smoke coming out of the smoke stack at Manderley (the mansion) to spell out "Rebecca"!! Hitchcock said he'd quit the film if that was added...

AMOUR
(2012, Haneke)
-- recommended by Jess --

"Things will go on, and then one day it will all be over."

Amour follows Georges (Jean-Louis Trintignant) and Anne (Emmanuelle Riva), an old retired couple living alone in France. Their lives go on in a fairly normal way as they enjoy breakfasts and lunches together, and attend musical concerts from former students. But things take a turn for the worse when Anne suffers a stroke that progressively deteriorates her health, while Georges has to take care of her.

A big reason why this film succeeds in portraying that is on the excellent performances from Trintignant, but especially Riva. The way they both convey the intimacy and closeness between Georges and Anne, even while he's moving her from a wheelchair, feeding her dinner, or giving her a bath, it's something powerfully moving. To see the regression in that person you love, from a night dress to a diaper, from a wine glass to a sippy cup, from meaningful conversations to just uninteligible babbling, it is all the ultimate test of what is really to love someone... for better, worse, richer, poorer, in sickness, and in health.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

I forgot the opening line.

By Illustrator unknown; "Copyright 1938 RKO Radio Pictures, Inc." - Scan via Heritage Auctions. Cropped from the original image., Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=85946229

Bringing up Baby - (1938)

I got a massive surprise from Bringing up Baby, which defied a trend which usually makes older films less able to make me laugh out loud - it's a crazy film with Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn going all-in and completely buying into what Howard Hawks wanted from them. I've really learned lately, just how well suited to comedy Cary Grant was early in his career - an actor who'd use his whole body to transmit a comical vibe from his character. Hepburn is a lot of fun too in this tale about a paleontologist who crosses paths with a screwy lady who derails his wedding, the delivery of a fossilized bone and a donation to his museum - but of course their misadventures shakes him out of the stuffy fun-free tree he's found himself in. This film had a whole load of laughs in it, and I've never before been as enthused by digging up old treasures from the 1930s and 1940s - especially after falling in love with such films as Make Way For Tomorrow and Double Indemnity.

9/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

...This film had a whole load of laughs in it, and I've never before been as enthused by digging up old treasures from the 1930s and 1940s...
Try some Carole Lombard films for old screwball comedies that might work for you. Have you seen any of her films?

Palm Springs (2020)

Rewatch so that my girl can watch it for the first time, and it holds up well. It drags a little in the 2nd half as the comedy dies down a bit for the more serious bits of the storyline, but everything flows splendidly. A couple parts still make me laugh out loud.

I forgot the opening line.
Try some Carole Lombard films for old screwball comedies that might work for you. Have you seen any of her films?
I remember being really impressed with My Man Godfrey, but I've been meaning to see more with her in for a while now.

SF = Z

SF = Zzz

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

I remember being really impressed with My Man Godfrey, but I've been meaning to see more with her in for a while now.
You should check out To Be or Not to Be. It's one of my favorites.

Only God Forgives (2013)

Style over substance, and not very confident with its style either. Ryan Gosling is his usual stoic self. Drive is a better iteration of this concept.

--
Even the Wind is Afraid (1968)

I finally got a good-quality copy of this (the last time I watched this, it was a VHS-rip with terrible audio). It's a pretty traditional ghost story with a funny cast of characters. I think it would have benefitted from being scarier, though. Not nearly as good as Poison for the Fairies, but still above average.

--
The Nice guys (2016)

I was surprised how much I liked this comedy. Somehow Shane Black hasn't got the Hollywood PC memo and can still write funny jokes. The characters are good, Gosling has multiple different expressions on his face, and some of the dialogue is killer. Angourie Rice pretty much steals all her scenes.

--
The VVitch (2015)

This one got even better on the second watch. The atmosphere is excellent and it's just a marvelous debut for both Eggers and Taylor-Joy. Black Phillip is the GOAT.

Only God Forgives (2013)

Style over substance, and not very confident with its style either.
Eh, I'm not so sure about that...

Boldly going.
Blast from the past
7/10.
I usually don't enjoy rom-coms, but I like this one.
The funniest performance goes to Joey Slotnik, who has a minor role as a soda jerk/bartender/cult leader.

Victim of The Night
I'm expecting this to be hilariously stupid and a complete rewriting of actual history.
I suspect you're right about the history given Hollywood's long tradition of wildly inaccurate historical epics, from Spartacus to Braveheart, and the fact that the movie is openly fictional.
I don't know about stupid because I haven't seen it but the reviews I've read say well-acted and directed but, yes, a script that skirts a lot of nuance that would make these characters more complex but also a lot more morally ambiguous and harder to root for.

Victim of The Night
Eh, I'm not so sure about that...
Agreed. One of my favorite films of that year and I actually preferred it to Drive. My best movie-buddy agrees.

Victim of The Night
If by "not completely historically accurate" you mean turning the slave-trading, human-sacrificing warmongers into protectors of the African freedom, then sure (at least that's the impression given by the trailer)

Oh, can you please spoil me and tell me which year the film happened and who the evil Europeans were?
Oh, I see what you're doing. Never mind.

Victim of The Night

By Illustrator unknown; "Copyright 1938 RKO Radio Pictures, Inc." - Scan via Heritage Auctions. Cropped from the original image., Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=85946229

I got a massive surprise from Bringing up Baby, which defied a trend which usually makes older films less able to make me laugh out loud - it's a crazy film with Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn going all-in and completely buying into what Howard Hawks wanted from them. I've really learned lately, just how well suited to comedy Cary Grant was early in his career - an actor who'd use his whole body to transmit a comical vibe from his character. Hepburn is a lot of fun too in this tale about a paleontologist who crosses paths with a screwy lady who derails his wedding, the delivery of a fossilized bone and a donation to his museum - but of course their misadventures shakes him out of the stuffy fun-free tree he's found himself in. This film had a whole load of laughs in it, and I've never before been as enthused by digging up old treasures from the 1930s and 1940s - especially after falling in love with such films as Make Way For Tomorrow and Double Indemnity.

9/10
Hell yes.
So pleased to have another person fall to the Charms of Baby.
If you liked Grant's work here, you should put The Awful Truth (my actual favorite Romantic Comedy of all time) and Topper on your list. I can't promise you'll like them as much as Baby, as they don't quite go for that level of zany, but they're both really good fun.

Victim of The Night
If you have no conscious such as i, Ad-blocker works great on tubi.
I'll have to do some reading on how to do that on my TV.
I simply will not watch commercials. Ruins films and even sporting events for me. I'd rather pay. Or even just not see a film.