100 Greatest Foreign Films

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
There's a lot of films missing, but the purpose of the list I believe was to create some kind of a guide to foreign cinema.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

There's a lot of films missing, but the purpose of the list I believe was to create some kind of a guide to foreign cinema.
Mr Minio knows best, there's lots of other great films not on the list. But as far as its purpose goes, I'd say this is a pretty solid and consistent 100 list for those interested in foreign cinema.

As someone who is barely scratching the surface, I also agree that it is a nice guide.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Yeah, it would be nice to make post-2000 top 100 as well.

Our next site-wide poll should just be an All Time Top 100 Movies. It's more all-encompassing, and we haven't done one since 2010.

Seeing the way this was arranged by ratings, the list has become a popularity contest quite like IMDB's top 250.

I could choose a lot of films from the first page that are way better than Rashomon (though still a beautiful film.) Red Desert, Wild Strawberries, Apur Sansur, Ikiru and Solaris to name a few.

Seeing the way this was arranged by ratings, the list has become a popularity contest quite like IMDB's top 250..
No **** it's a popularity contest. The whole point is to compile a list that represents the tastes of the forum community as a whole, with the most popular movies among MoFos taking the higher places.

If you don't like the way we do things, don't read it. You're too late to submit your own list anyway.

Seeing the way this was arranged by ratings, the list has become a popularity contest quite like IMDB's top 250.

I could choose a lot of films from the first page that are way better than Rashomon (though still a beautiful film.) Red Desert, Wild Strawberries, Apur Sansur, Ikiru and Solaris to name a few.
All lists are popularity contests. In fact, the IMDB top 250 is less a popularity context and more a ranking of films based on broader appeal. Movies like The Godfather and Shawshank Redemption are movies that appeal to many people, so the average ratings given are very high.

While the Sign and Sound poll is a popularity contest among film critics, the movies ranked higher are the movies that are the most popular among critics. A movie that half of the critics love and half hate with passion will rank much higher on the Sign and Sound poll than a movie every critic likes but few love (let's say, among the critics in the poll 50% love the first and 10% love the second) while on the IMDB top 250, a movie that 50% give 10 and 50% give zero will have a 5 rating, while a movie that 90% give 7 and 10% give 10 (everybody likes but few loves) will rate as 7.3.

This is an important thing to understand, among the different types of lists. I am personally seeking powerful movies that were able to move people, so lists based on popularity are better than lists based on average ratings, since a powerful movie like Grave of the Fireflies will not rank that high on average ratings since some people may hate it, but it will certainly rank higher than the Shawshank Redemption on a list of popularity among experienced film buffs.

Hold on, my mistake. I was not in the thread I thought I was in when I posted that.
Sorry for the bitchiness in that post. In any case, these sorts of lists almost always are popularity contests.

On the other hand, movies do often become popular because they are great, though popularity is certainly not a measure of greatness.