Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Hillbilly Elegy (2020)

Pretty decent, all of the acting was accomplished (esp Amy Adams) and I'd never heard of the book/memoir beforehand. A bit "soapy" but when you have a film based on family memoirs that's perhaps unavoidable.

Matthias & Maxime (2019)
After a couple of misfires, Dolan is back. It's his usual fare (sexuality and mother issues) but there's alot of pent up emotion here and he nails the tone beautifully. He's an underrated actor too. Great soundtrack.
7.5/10

Dreams (1990)
Obviously different from most of Kurosawa's other work but some beautiful images.
8.1/10

Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (1973)
You have to admire Peckinpah's steadfast approach to make his films grittier, bloodier and darker than what came before. Really enjoyed this one.
7.8/10

Citizen Kane (1941)
Rewatch in preparation for 'Mank'

Cannibal Ferox (1981)

I would have been too young to see this at the time and I think it was on the banned list. Story about a group who venture to the rain forest to debunk the myth that the lady believes is cannibalism. Bit of a cheap knock-off "Holocaust" (and indeed, Robert Kerman appears here too) and doesn't really try to dress itself up in any anthropological overtones. The acting is woeful but the violence is nice and nasty. Whole film feels rushed so I suppose that was a case of budget and trying to "exploit" the cannibal genre.

Don't Listen (2020, Ángel Gómez Hernández)

It was OK. Far from original and terribly uneven, with some good scenes and scares alternating with not-so-good ones, but I enjoyed it for what it was. I thought it kicked off to a promising start (that opening shot was pretty nifty), and a decent first half, but the second half (starting with the introduction of that old supernatural researcher and his daughter) went downhill for me.

Oh and by the way...
WARNING: spoilers below
How did they not notice the pictures on the wall earlier?

Cannibal Ferox (1981)

I would have been too young to see this at the time and I think it was on the banned list. Story about a group who venture to the rain forest to debunk the myth that the lady believes is cannibalism. Bit of a cheap knock-off "Holocaust" (and indeed, Robert Kerman appears here too) and doesn't really try to dress itself up in any anthropological overtones. The acting is woeful but the violence is nice and nasty. Whole film feels rushed so I suppose that was a case of budget and trying to "exploit" the cannibal genre.

Realise I'd rated this not so long ago (forgot) sorry folks, age catching up with me

Victim of The Night
You mean niece Charlie and the younger detective? You're right of course but I've noticed that about movies of that era. People declaring their undying love for each other with no plausible setup or buildup. It's almost like it was a stipulation for getting a movie made.
Yeah, I think you're right, it's like there HAD to be a love-angle. But in this one, we're at undying love in like a day and a half, amidst a deadly mystery, and the romance adds nothing but distraction really. It's a shame but not that big of one because the movie is very good.

Deep Rising -

It's derivative, cheesy, has clunky dialogue and its special effects resemble those found in SyFy original movies, but I still enjoyed the heck out of this. Having a premise similar to Alien's, the movie it cribs from the most, the stealthy, many-tentacled monster's lair is a derelict cruise ship while our heroes - who are hardly heroes - include pirates for hire, a thief and a band of mercenaries. Director Stephen Sommers elevates the material by making the thrills visceral, adding unpredictability in spite of the familiar setup and by giving it a sense of fun. There were times when I pictured him in the director's chair saying "isn't this great?" with a big smile on his face. It also has a deep character actor roster, with everyone knowing what kind of movie they're in and whose awed and fearful reactions to the monster give it legitimacy despite its dated CGI. While the cast has many recognizable faces from Famke Janssen to Wes Studi, I was most impressed by the less well-known Kevin J. O'Connor as Joey, the wise-cracking engineer and audience surrogate. With his screechy voice and goofy one-liners, I assumed I would end up hating him when it was all over, but I soon found myself truly caring about what happens to him. As much as I enjoyed it, the movie never rises above the other ones that inspired it, and while I can forgive the stale special effects, lines like "I've got a bad feeling about this" and "there's something you don't see every day" would have seemed dated in its release year. Even so, it's as good a proof as any that enthusiasm and professionalism can elevate B-grade material. Oh, and not to spoil it too much, but it's a shame we'll never receive what the ending promises.

Shamefuly, I admit I've never seen this movie. Now I know.

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.

I-Be Area
dir. Ryan Trecartin, 2007

An hour-40 of completely unbridled gay chaos filtered through a 2000's internet culture fever dream. Almost entirely non-content that somehow manages to string together scene-to-scene just enough to avoid being complete nonsense and there's so many oddly likeable characters throughout to help carry you through the especially dense, loud, near-nonsense parts. Feels a bit like something that would air on Adult Swim at 3am but a bit less forced. Really loved this. 8/10

Victim of The Night
The Trouble with Harry 1955 Alfred Hitchcock

+
My mom took me to see this in the theater when it go some special screening when I was a kid (this'd be around maybe 1982-84 range) and I really liked it.

My mom took me to see this in the theater when it go some special screening when I was a kid (this'd be around maybe 1982-84 range) and I really liked it.
Saw it for the first time today after my mom reminded me Perfect little fall/autumn movie by the master. Great location and cast, with a very young Blake Carrington

I got a cheap film noir set, starting at the top with Whirlpool (1950). Directed by Otto Preminger, starring Gene Tierney and Jose Ferrer, a woman seems to have committed a murder but has no memory and may have been hypnotized. It's classic noir, excellent monochrome cinematography that's been well transferred to DVD. All that's left to know is whether SHE committed the murder.
Wonderful movie! Tierney was one of the most beautiful woman to ever be in Hollywood films. And no one was more suave or debonair than Jose Ferrer.... that voice!

The story is one of many in the 1940s that explored the use of hypnotism. This one was a beauty.

Yeah, I think you're right, it's like there HAD to be a love-angle. But in this one, we're at undying love in like a day and a half, amidst a deadly mystery, and the romance adds nothing but distraction really. It's a shame but not that big of one because the movie is very good.
I agree with you. I think the romance was written so that the detective would be able to gain more inside knowledge of the case he was pursuing against the Uncle Charlie character.

Batman Returns (Burton, '92):

The Bat, The Cat, The Penguin

WARNING: spoilers below
I was never really a big fan of Warner Brother's original series of Batman films on the whole, as they generally seemed unable to find the proper tone or strike the right balance between style and substance, a criticism which absolutely applies to Tim Burton's original Batman, as Burton seemed more interested in developing the character of Gotham City than in focusing on the film's actual characters. That being said, however, I can certainly make an exception for its sequel, 1992's Batman Returns; sure, it has its fair share of problems, not the least of which is its occasionally overbearing, overly dark tone, which got plenty of parental backlash at the time, and earned the ire of McDonald's and their tie-in line of movie toys, but it mostly makes up for that with plenty of Burton's signature stylistic flair, an overall sense of dark fun, and dare I say it, a surprising amount of substance, at least when it comes to the film's central relationship.

Admittedly, the story proceeds in fits and starts, kind of awkwardly going from one random plot tangent to another with basically every new scene, which shows the difficulty screenwriter Daniel Waters had in balancing the film's four major characters, not to mention all the supporting players (although the stream-of-consciousness plotting kind of enhances the film's overall dreamlike quality, and the dialogue, to Waters' credit, is relentlessly snappy and quotable). At any rate, smooth storytelling isn't really the main appeal of Returns anyway, in light of the film's incredible style and atmosphere, balancing out the inherent artificiality of its soundstage-bound Gotham City with a rich, chilly Christmas time ambience (and the typically cheerful spirit of the holiday makes for a great seasonal contrast with the film's overall tortured, cynical tone), and Returns also benefits greatly from Stefan Czapsky's grand, elegantly sweeping cinematography, Danny Elfman's darkly whimsical score, Bo Welch's gothic production design, which withers Gotham under the granite stare of massive, oppressive, ominipresent statues, and Burton's macabre stylistic flourishes, and incredibly colorful, limitless sense of imagination (or at least, it seemed limitless at this point in his career... ahem).

And the characters in Returns are just as exaggerated as its aesthetics, whether it be Christopher Walken's slimy, brash, corrupt retail mogul Max Schreck, or Danny DeVito's monstrously deformed, manically ranting Penguin, though these parts are over-the-top to a fault at times, especially DeVito, who, although he puts in a technically strong performance here, his character is still so needlessly, distractingly revolting and lecherous that he eventually just becomes tiresome to watch, which leaves Selina Kyle as the best character here, portrayed in an iconic (and unfortunately, not Oscar-nominated) turn by Michelle Pfeiffer. While she approaches campy caricature herself sometimes as a pre-transformation Selina or the avenging feminist Catwoman, as either an outsized parody of a frizzy, bespectacled, bumbling nerd, or that nerd's silly idea of what a predatory femme fatale from Hollywood would act like in real life, she's still always utterly convincing regardless of which mode she's in, and she shines her brightest when she just gets to be herself, which is ironically the side of Selina who has no idea just who she is, as she's caught between the two warring factions of her personality in a portrayal that's both incredibly passionate, hopelessly sad, and ultimately lost at the same time, as a woman who can't help but be torn apart by the struggle between the vengeful vigilante she's become, and the normal person she wishes she could be.

Her undeniable onscreen chemistry with Bruce even gives his character some substance by association, as, when he's doing the mandatory crime-fighting as Batman, he's often just a silent, glowering presence, one that's often forced to take a backseat in his own film, but his tragic romance with Selina, and the way they can't help but be drawn to one another because of the inner pain from their dual/dueling identities (which is also the reason why they're doomed to never be together in the end) is what gives his character some actual dimension here, certainly moreso than in the '89 film, where Burton hardly seemed to care to develop him in any compelling manner. So, while certainly a flawed film in certain aspects, on the whole, Batman Returns still manages to be a satisfying sort of superhero fairy tale, one that, although its quirky sensibilities do take some getting used to, they're still enjoyable once you adjust to them, so give it a chance, will ya?

Favorite Moment:

Final Score: 8

Victim of The Night

I feel like context is one of the most important things for enjoying the larger catalogue of films.
If one does not know that this was 1941, that the Film Noir genre did not yet exist, and that this was Humphrey Bogart's breakout role from being considered a supporting actor in Hollywood, perhaps one might think this was a run of the mill Bogie ganster/noir flick.
But with that context, one actually watches the movie differently, noticing all the things audiences were seeing for the first time... not the least of which is a certain future screen legend who would actually not even get top billing in a film in which he is clearly the lead. That would go to Ida Lupino, the bigger star at the time.
Given that context, there is a lot to take in and appreciate and enjoy here. It's a genuinely good ganster flick that goes pretty dark by the end. Bogart is perfect. Simply perfect. Ida Lupino is no slouch either, by the way. The story is good and the bones of it would make a prototype for so many films to come. It's and exciting and also kinda sad film. The hero of the movie, in the era of the Hays Code, is a criminal, a robber who can be as ruthless as any, but one with a soul and someone to love. In the era of the Hays Code, we all know what must happen to him (and her). But we are taken there with both excitement and empathy. We know we shouldn't be rooting for him, but dammit, we just can't help it.
If you're a fan of old crime films, you wanna see "pre-Noir", you wanna see Humphrey Bogart's breakout role, or hell, maybe you wanna see Ida Lupino, this is a movie worth seeing.