"I've Really Lived."

Tools    

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Last evening, l met a coworker for a quick drink and she had just left to meet up with her kidlings... The woman to my left was a lady I've seen there many times, named Flo. She's always perched atop the stool at the end of the bar, hair perky, lipstick on straight and showing a tasteful hint of cleaveage.

We struck up a conversation and she told me that she likes to sit at the end of the bar there, because she makes a point of cheering on the musicians. She had been a fan of the Big Band musicians... saw Frank Sinatra when he performed with the Tommy Dorsey band, and listed a bunch of others. When she mentioned the big band, I thought she was stretching it a bit, but she told me she had recently turned 83.

Flo told me about her life a bit - how, after her husband died, she took a lover who was the same age as her youngest son... (I wanted to ^5 her, but she'd also mentioned arthritis...) and some of the places she's lived. She said with a smile, "I've really lived." And she convinced me. I only hope to be able to say the same, should I live to be 83.

So my question to you is: what do you want to be able to say you did, when you're Flo's age? What would you like to look back on and say, "I did that with my life, and it was worth the time"?

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I'd really like to be able to say I've been to the moon and back.

Arresting your development
I think I'll have a drink to Flo right now.

Though I don't know what my purpose would be to go that far in life.

And this is my BOOMstick!
My whole life is ahead of me. I'll take it one little step at a time to see where it leads me.

Randomly visiting for now
I'd like to look back and say I was truly happy at that moment and during my life and that I made a difference to a lot of other people's lives; I thought I would be happy making a lot of money or having a successful job, but I've found that you're happiest when you find something you really care about (can be work) and enthrall yourself in it. Whether it's a partner, a sport, a job, a group of friends or even a fun hobby (like watching movies). These sorts of things make my life enjoyable.

Being able to help people with emotional and physical problems that they cannot overcome alone is really rewarding for me as well and when it's all over I want to be able to say that I could help a lot of people live their lives in a fulfilling way and that would be enough to have fulfilled mine. Then I will have really lived.

Maybe that was a bit too serious, oh well I'm in a serious mood.

I guess i'd just like to end it without any regrets. i want to have done everything i could have, and never chickened out of anything

Originally Posted by Michael_myers
I guess i'd just like to end it without any regrets. i want to have done everything i could have, and never chickened out of anything
Like you, I'm a lot more concerned about the things I'll regret having missed, rather than any small regret over things I might do.

right now i am just content to live life from one day to the next..whatever mistakes i made are in the past, so i concentrate on the future and living life to the fullest...that's all folks....

Lets put a smile on that block
I love little moments like that Sammy, its so nice talking to random poeple sometimes and just being so suprised with what comes out of their mouth. Never judge a book by its cover etc etc i guess.

I think im quite an ambitious person. And quite a hopeful person. So i think when im 83, if i could say i have achieved most of my ambitions, and some of my biggest hopes have been realised, then that will do me just fine, and i would be happy to sit in a bar for my last years, flashing my cleavage at the house band

May The Forks be With Us
I just want to take it one day at a time and try not to reject any big stuff. I mean I would love to be rich but I think even if I live in a little house next to the freeway, I wouldn't care as long as I did something I love for a living.

"Snozberries taste like snozberries"

Huh? "Taking a lover" the age of your kid is "really living"? To me it'd be things like traveling the world, having children, and learning to play the piano for no particular reason. But I guess I'm weird like that.

I think Sammy's point is that it seemed the old woman she was speaking to, feels that she has really lived becuase she has done what she really wanted to do, no regrets etc.

Given that she said she wanted to high-five her in response, I'm guessing Sam's point was probably not as abstract as you suggest.

Regardless, I'd also take issue with the idea that "really living" means doing whatever you feel like doing, rather than a blend of doing what you want and doing something meaningful.

Originally Posted by blibblobblib
I think Sammy's point is that it seemed the old woman she was speaking to, feels that she has really lived becuase she has done what she really wanted to do, no regrets etc.
Exactly, blibby.
I don't imagine Flo's life is for everyone, but she made me wonder what I might do with my life that would put that sparkle in my eye when I think back on my time.

I want to see the world, particularly Greece, England, Italy.
I want to stay (or get!) intellectually on the ball. I got really bogged down for awhile there, and it feels good to be able to say what I'm thinking, and think about fun things.
I want to pet a tiger or lion or one of those big cats.
I want to write a book that is worth reading - something with literary value.
I want to learn tai chi.
I want to teach my neice about acting. At 2 years old, she's already showing a clear proclivity for it.
I want to own a Jaguar, preferably convertable, at some point in my life.
I want to experience true love.
I want to be a super-hero.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Given that she said she wanted to high-five her in response, I'm guessing Sam's point was probably not as abstract as you suggest.
Originally Posted by me
So my question to you is: what do you want to be able to say you did, when you're Flo's age? What would you like to look back on and say, "I did that with my life, and it was worth the time"?

Regardless, I'd also take issue with the idea that "really living" means doing whatever you feel like doing, rather than a blend of doing what you want and doing something meaningful.
Whatever works for you, mister.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Well, i would have high-fived her too, for doing what she wanted, and shagging someone a third of her age
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
I want to be a super-hero.
Its always a good idea to put at least one thing on your list that you know will definatly happen.

...Its always a good idea to put at least one thing on your list that you know will definatly happen.
God love ya for understanding, blib.

The People's Republic of Clogher
This got me thinking (I'm going to see my gran tomorrow, who turns 90 in a few days time) and I guess that I'd want to say -

I built my own house. (sounds weird but I never used bricks and mortar until I built my fireplace a few months back, and it was kinda good )

I was financially secure when I could still walk so that I could retire without worrying about the future. (those who know me....ermm...know what I'm on about)

..and most importantly -

My son was proud enough to call me 'Dad'. (he ain't right now)

Well, i would have high-fived her too, for doing what she wanted, and shagging someone a third of her age
Uh huh. Excuse me while I go elope with the 7-year old next door.

Its always a good idea to put at least one thing on your list that you know will definatly happen.
Indeed. I think most people have two such lists. There's dreams, and then there's goals, and it's really something special when the two overlap.