Best of 2010

Tools    

Been struggling to decide which films to watch from this decade recently, particularly foreign language stuff so i thought i'd go through the years and get some recs i may not be aware of. This is just a thread for talking about movies from the year 2010 so you can talk about whatever, just curious if there's some good stuff i'm not aware of or that i've overlooked so talk about your favourites or whatever please.

Here's all 42 films i've seen from the year - https://letterboxd.com/camarel/list/2010/

Will probably make threads for the other years if this is helpful.

No it's not. That's your opinion of course, which is a pretty unpopular one.
It's a bad movie Raul. I can only show you the way you need to walk the path yourself!

Seriously though this isn't the "act like you're in 2010 by discussing Inception thread", have you got any 2010 recs?

This might just do nobody any good.
You should go inside his dreams and convince him otherwise.

Check out Olivier Assayas’ Carlos. It was technically released as a miniseries but you can watch the whole thing as a feature on Netflix. It’s riveting work, morally complex and Edgar Ramirez gives one the most magnetic breakouts in a year full of them.

I forgot we got Inception and A Nightmare on Elm Street in the same year.

Check out Olivier Assayas’ Carlos. It was technically released as a miniseries but you can watch the whole thing as a feature on Netflix. It’s riveting work, morally complex and Edgar Ramirez gives one the most magnetic breakouts in a year full of them.
Missed this, think you edited it in. Yeah thanks for the rec had forgot about this. Carlos The Jackal's story is one i'm oddly not familiar with and i've not seen anything by Assayas yet so added to watchlist. I'm from the UK and i don't think it's on our Netflix but i'll watch it elsewhere.

Watch Black Swan. That is all.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Watch Black Swan. That is all.
Been avoiding that since alot of it is lifted from Perfect Blue which is one of my favourite films. Will do soon probably though as i've still only seen The Wrestler from Aronofsky.

I have a weird thing where my mind always tells me his name is Aaronofsky because of the name Aaron, have to correct myself every time.

Black Swan
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
Kick-Ass
Never Let Me Go

All I can think of.
Seen all of those except Black Swan. Discussed Deathly Hallows Part 1 with you before, i think it has the most beautiful scene in the series but otherwise it's towards the bottom for me personally.

Never Let Me Go i wasn't a big fan of, think a big part of that is my dislike of Andrew Garfield. Also wish i had read the book before seeing it as it's supposed to be much better.

Kick Ass is pretty fun.

Black Swan is decent. It's not something I'd watch again and again (though neither is NLMG) but it's certainly worth a look.
I'm reaching to really recommend anything from 2010.

Never Let Me Go is top three of the 2010s for me. I don’t know, it gets me on all emotional beats.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
It's a bad movie Raul. I can only show you the way you need to walk the path yourself!

Seriously though this isn't the "act like you're in 2010 by discussing Inception thread", have you got any 2010 recs?
I don't actually. In reality its a pretty bad year from what I saw, which isn't a whole lot to begin with.

I’m also glad there’s some mention of Meek’s Cutoff which is the movie Michelle Williams should have been nominated for and not the glorified Hallmark Marylin Monroe movie.

Never Let Me Go is top three of the 2010s for me. I don’t know, it gets me on all emotional beats.
Have you read the book?

This is what i posted about it, no doubt it'll be horribly written and my problems are as subjective as they come. I don't think it's a bad film just one that i had a fair amount of problems with:

Never Let Me Go

Had never heard of this and really didn't have the slightest clue what it was about, well other than that it was Sci-Fi since Citizen mentioned it earlier. Wasn't a fan of this, sorry Citizen. The first red flag came when i saw Andrew Garfield on the operating table at the start, somehow i hadn't realized he was in it i had seen a poster but had only recognized Carey Mulligan. With the exception of Boy A i've really not liked Garfield in anything i've seen him in, still i was hoping he'd work for me here especially with my excitement over Silence and even if i didn't there's still every chance i could like the film; i think he's awful in The Social Network yet that's one of my favourite films of this decade. Well yeah he wasn't very good in my opinion but it's certainly not his worst performance, he was kind of whiny and i don't know what word i'm looking for eh.. scatterbrained? He just seemed like his head wasn't there at times and i'm not sure if it was supposed to be part of his character of if he was trying something else and that's how he came across to me. Keira Knightley to me is a middle of the road actress, i really don't think i dislike her in anything but i don't find her great in anything either really. To my surprise i thought she was the best of the three leads. What i thought she did really well was fake bitchiness/vindictiveness to mask her insecurities; just writing that it sounds like something really tough to pull off but that was what came across to me and i feel that's what she was supposed to convey so props to her there. I think this particularly came across in the scene by the sink when Kathy is pulling her up about copying the other couples shoulder touch thing and the scene where she confronts her in her room about wanting Tommy. My biggest disappointment was actually Carey Mulligan; i'd say she is one of my favourite working actresses, her performance in An Education (which other than her performance is a very mediocre film in my opinion) is one of my favourites from this century. She is kind of naturally timid and shy which can work alot of times but i don't think it did here, she had zero screen presence in my opinion.

The casting of young Carey looks-wise was really good; not that they were identical or anything but if someone showed me am old looking picture of her and said it was Carey as a kid i could see myself believing it. Other than that i really didn't like the kids part; Sally Hawkins was pretty good but that was it. Sorry, but i really couldn't care less about this love triangle especially when they were kids and i don't think it was executed particularly well either. I didn't buy into Tommy and Kathy's relationship; i mean i get that she felt sorry for him but the following scene after he accidentally hit her with Tommy's horribly delivered "I want to say i'm sorry. I mean i don't ever want to hit a girl.. bbut especially not you" followed by really schmaltzy music and a scene of them walking around a pond? Yeah.. i got nothing from it. Honestly the kid who played Young Kathy wasn't that bad but i think the kid who played young Tommy was and he really killed the atmosphere of each scene they shared; this as well as their earlier failure to make me care about what was going on greatly affected my later enjoyment of the film i think. It's a shame because the scene where Ruth holds Tommy's hand should've illicited some sort of response from me, it was obviously supposed to be a great betrayal as this was something meaningful to Kathy but as i really felt nothing from their relationship it came across more like childish drama to me.

The most interesting thing in the story in my opinion was definitely the growing up to be organ donars/knowing when you'll die idea, an examination of how people would cope and what they would do with their life if they had this knowledge is really intriguing. It gave the film a looming tragic feeling which i think all of the best scenes were related to; like how devastated the couple who believed in the Hailsham rumour were when they found out it might not be true. My problem is that i feel the love triangle/jealousy story that i didn't care about really overshadowed this at times which was disappointing. At first i got really annoyed when Kathy working as a carer just happened to encounter Ruth but i did warm up to it and i think their scenes together at this part where the most genuine heartfelt parts in the film. And i specifically mean those two; Tommy kind of killed the momentum between them that they had in the hospital scenes. Honestly this is starting to sound like i have an irrational hatred of Andrew Garfield . I really don't; i think he comes across very likable and i thought he was great in Boy A but he really bugs me in everything else i've seen him in. The post-Ruth death parts were alright, i did like that they went with a dark ending rather than a happy one with the deferrals turning out to be real. That was a brave choice at least.

Sorry again Citizen, i usually like your nominations but this one didn't work for me. Watching Sanshiro Sugata later tonight.