Latitudes

Tools    

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Seems like the time to plug Letterboxd. Get on it, you'll love it.
I joined Letterboxd sometime last year, I think. The only thing that I have done with it was add the favorite movies of mine.

I wanted a site like Goodreads but for movies. I am actually a part of a different site like that. And I haven't done so well with keeping track of the movies I've watched lately (luckily I have the HoF's to refer back to when I finally get around to adding them onto my Watched List ). Anyway, I don't recall how I discovered Letterboxd, but I just haven't gotten around to doing anything else on there. You see, the main goal for me right now is to get all of the movies I've seen copied off of the other site and added to Letterboxd. But to do that, it will take me so long to accomplish it. Not only do I have the tedious act of having to look up each one, but I have to rate each one. Not too hard because the films are rated on the other site, too, but it is just that added step to getting all the info recorded.

I figure that I will get around to it sometime in the summer. Maybe on one of those days when it is too hot to do anything else.

One thing that is frustrating (for me, at least) is that I don't necessarily think of every movie that I have ever seen. What is worse is when it is an obvious movie. I did that kind of stuff with Goodreads. An obvious book that I'd read (twice, in fact) is Gone With The Wind. I didn't even realize that I hadn't had it to my bookshelf until about 3 years after I'd become a member of Goodreads. You see, I like things to be accurate. And if I am going to make Letterboxd as accurate as the other site, I have to really take my time with entering everything. That will take me a long time to do.

Saving Mr. Banks (2013)
Director: John Lee Hancock
Stars: Emma Thompson, Tom Hanks, Annie Rose Buckley
Genre: Biography, Drama
Length: 125 minutes

"Author P.L. Travers reflects on her childhood after reluctantly meeting with Walt Disney, who seeks to adapt her Mary Poppins books for the big screen."

This is the type of film I love, a historical period piece, bio-pic about an iconic figure...and who's more iconic than Walt Disney!

What I didn't like was that the author of Mary Poppins, P.L. Travers (Emma Thompson) came off so unlikeable and demanding that I just wanted Walt Disney to smack her a good one. She kept making ridiculous demands and belittling everyone at Disney Studios. I guess the director thought her behavior would be funny, but I found it annoying and strongly disliked her character.

For the film to work for me she had to have a soft side to her. Butit's not until the end of the film that this icy lady begins to warm and so a spark of humanity. That's when I started caring about her character. Emma Thompson is a fine actresses so I can only blame the director for turning a three dimension person into a cardboard cut out.

Tom Hanks as Walt Disney was spot on. What a find job he did! I wish this film had been more about Walt. If it had I would have loved it. Maybe Tom Hanks can reprise his role as Walt Disney and this time tell the story of the creation of the Disney Studios.

I'm sorry I'm just getting around to reading this review, but I have to say that I think you might be being a little hard on the PL Travers character...Travers wanted the central character of the movie to be exactly the person who she grew up and wanted everything exactly the way she remembered it and did not understand that things had to be enhanced for entertainment value. She did not care about entertainment value, all she wanted was to see her childhood recreated onscreen and I can understand that to a point. I actually loved when she asked Disney how they were going to train the penguins to dance and when he explained they would be animated she would have none of it. What I thought strange was the fact that everything Travers fought against ended up on the screen anyway, a process which began during the fabulous scene where she is shown the "Let's Go Fly a Kite" number for the first time and finally realizes that Disney does understand that the story is about Mr. Banks, not the children. Any problems I might have had with the Travers character melted away during the scene where she is sitting in the dark theater at the premiere of the film, not really liking what she's saying but unable to deny that everyone around her was absolutely loving what they're seeing, a scene brilliantly executed by Emma Thompson, that scene alone should have gotten her an Oscar nomination.

A Christmas Carol (1984)
Director: Clive Donner
Stars: George C. Scott, Frank Finlay, Angela Pleasence
Genre: Historical Literature, Christmas

An old bitter miser who makes excuses for his uncaring nature learns real compassion when three ghosts visit him on Christmas Eve.

A made for TV movie from 1984 based on the classic Charles Dickens story. I've seen most of the different versions of A Christmas Carol and this is one of my favorite versions. There has been 7 versions (not counting cartoons and muppets).

George C. Scott is just the best Scrooge, he's gruff, he's stingy and yet he's still human enough that we care about him. I liked all of the cast of this film. It's a Holiday tradition to watch it.

George C. Scott was, hands down, my favorite Scrooge ever...brilliant performance.

Mary, Queen of Scots (1971)
Director: Charles Jarrott
Stars: Vanessa Redgrave, Glenda Jackson, Trevor Howard, Timothy Dalton
Genre: Biography, Drama, History

Mary Stuart, who was named Queen of Scotland when she was new born, is living in France married to the King. When the King dies she returns to Scotland to claim her crown. However, Queen Elizabeth the 1st, finds her a threat and seeks to stop her at any cost.

And what's good about this movie is it's all true. I thought a young Vanessa Redgrave was very moving as Mary Queen of Scotland. And Glenda Jackson made the perfect, steely cold Virgin Queen, Elizabeth the 1st.

There's a very young Timothy Dalton in this who plays a pivotal role as the Prince Consort who would steal the crown from Mary to be King. The film had a lot of heart and held my interest.

Anne of a Thousand Days....I found this very emotionless and I was bored, so I shut it off after 30 minutes.
You might want to check your facts, Citizen, but I remember reading a long time ago that people had problems with this film because IRL Elizabeth the 1st and Mary Queen of Scots never met.

Marriage on the Rocks (1965)
Director: Jack Donohue
Stars: Frank Sinatra, Deborah Kerr, Dean Martin, Nancy Sinatra
Genre: Comedy
Length: 109 minutes

Over worked Ad-agency president Frank Sinatra is stuck in a rut, his wife Deborah Kerr wants to put some excitement back into their marriage so they head to Mexico for a second honeymoon. However a crazy mistake has Dean Martin accidentally married to his best friends wife. Meanwhile Frank Sinatra who's now single, decides to live the swinging bachelor life in Martin's swanky beach house. Both Frank and Deborah try to make the other jealous as they still love each other.

This is a pretty fun, colorfully hip movie from 1965. Frank's real life daughter, Nancy Sinatra has a role in this too. This could be called a screwball comedy. Dean Martin has one cool beach house!

I saw this movie at a drive-in when I was 7 years old and really don't remember anything about it, except for the fact that I think it was the only film in which Frank and Nancy Sinatra appeared together. Seeing this here has me seriously considering a re-watch.

She only did 7 theatrical films. The only 2 I've heard of was Marriage on the Rocks and the one with Elvis, Speedway 1968.

I added Fear in the Night (1947) to my watch list, sounds interesting, thanks for mentioning it
She also did a biker movie with...I want to say Peter Fonda...I think it was called Hell's Angels on Wheels or something like that.

Marriage on the Rocks (1965)
I saw this movie at a drive-in when I was 7 years old and really don't remember anything about it, except for the fact that I think it was the only film in which Frank and Nancy Sinatra appeared together. Seeing this here has me seriously considering a re-watch.
Of all the films you just commented on, Marriage on the Rocks (1965) is the one I would recommend. If for no other reason the mod beach house was a time capsule back to the mid 60s, right before hippie fashion set in. I think it's one of the most sophisticated eras for style. And if you seen it as a child last, it would be neat for you to see if you can remember any of it. You should check it out, I've seen it twice. It's great fun.