The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Top Albums Countdown is a pretty bad idea. The album that wins would have like 10 votes and it would be Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon. I'd put some obscurities nobody ever heard of there and some other people would put their favourite albums nobody else votes for and we'd have dozens of ties with one vote. Maybe if it was Top 90's Albums Countdown... and so on with decades...

I didn't even know about the Soundtrack Countdown being held.

But yeah, it's a movie forum, so you can't expect all people to be devoted music listeners.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Welcome to the human race...
Top Albums Countdown is a pretty bad idea. The album that wins would have like 10 votes and it would be Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon. I'd put some obscurities nobody ever heard of there and some other people would put their favourite albums nobody else votes for and we'd have dozens of ties with one vote. Maybe if it was Top 90's Albums Countdown... and so on with decades...
Yeah...

I didn't even know about the Soundtrack Countdown being held.
Yeah, which you'd think would have garnered more interest than a list dedicated to regular albums because, well, this is a movie forum. However, it's gotten exactly five votes so far including me and the thread hasn't been posted in for nearly three months. Even so, there are still about three months until the deadline, so whatever.

But yeah, it's a movie forum, so you can't expect all people to be devoted music listeners.
Yeah, silly me for expecting things of people.

I am really curious about this one.

Who else had "Head" on their list? I had it at #17 and its place ended up #167.
Probably Sexy and sarah f.
Yes, I was one of them. You can see it in my full list here:

1. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964, Stanley Kubrick)

2. Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966, Mike Nichols)

3. The Innocents (1961, Jack Clayton)

4. The Loved One (1965, Tony Richardson)

5. Elmer Gantry (1960, Richard Brooks)

6. War and Peace (1967, Sergei Bondarchuk)

7. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

8. Midnight Cowboy (1969, John Schlesinger)

9. The Manchurian Candidate (1962, John Frankenheimer)

10. The 10th Victim (1965, Elio Petri)

11. Morgan: A Suitable Case for Treatment (1966, Karel Reisz)

12. Psycho (1960, Alfred Hitchcock)

13. The Graduate (1967, Mike Nichols)

14. Rosemary’s Baby (1968, Roman Polanski)

15. Z (1969, Costa-Gavras)

16. A Hard Day’s Night (1964, Richard Lester)

17. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969, George Roy Hill)

18. One, Two, Three (1961, Billy Wilder)

19. Planet of the Apes (1968, Franklin J. Schaffner)

20. Mary Poppins (1964, Robert Stevenson)

21. My Fair Lady (1964, George Cukor)

22. West Side Story (1961, Robert Wise & Jerome Robbins)

23. Easy Rider (1969, Dennis Hopper)

24. Head (1968, Bob Rafelson)

25. The Cremator (1969, Juraj Herz)

Good list, Sarah! I love all the alternate posters you put up. I especially love the The Innocents, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and My Fair Lady posters.

Yeah, some of those alternate and fan-made posters are terrific, Sarah! As much as I don't really care for the flick, this poster for The Birds is pretty frickin' awesome...

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
That's a better taste than mark, sarah! Maybe the tenth descendant in the family will have a 100% great taste.

unfortunately I was on vacation for a couple weeks and missed the probably very dramatic unveiling of the conclusion of this list, but this is a great list of diversity of tastes and also a great overall look at what the 1960s had to offer in cinema. though come on guys Sam Fuller is great!

I really thought Psycho was going to take the top spot since it seems to be way less divisive, but if I had not submitted a list then Psycho would have been #1 ... here's my complete list:

1. Playtime (1967, Jacques Tati)
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

3. The Naked Kiss (1964, Samuel Fuller)
4. La Jetee (1962, Chris Marker)
5. Peeping Tom (1960, Michael Powell)

6. The Young Girls of Rochefort (1967, Jacques Demy)
7. Shock Corridor (1963, Samuel Fuller)
8. My Night at Maud's (1969, Eric Rohmer)
9. Pierrot Le Fou (1965, Jean-Luc Godard)

10. Splendor in the Grass (1961, Elia Kazan)
11. Charulata (1964, Satyajit Ray)
12. Late Autumn (1960, Yasujiro Ozu)
13. Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964, Jacques Demy)
14. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962, John Ford)
15. Seconds (1966, John Frankenheimer)
16. Last Year at Marienbad (1961, Alain Resnais)

17. Point Blank (1967, John Boorman)
18. A Woman is a Woman (1961, Jean-Luc Godard)
19. 8 1/2 (1963, Federico Fellini)
20. The Nutty Professor (1963, Jerry Lewis)
21. La Notte (1961, Michelangelo Antonioni)
22. Week End (1967, Jean-Luc Godard)
23. Repulsion (1965, Roman Polanski)
24. High and Low (1963, Akira Kurosawa)

25. L'Avventura (1960, Michelangelo Antonioni)

I must say the thing I like the most about it is the plot. Not direction. In other words, Clarke, not Kubrick. Don't get me wrong, Kubrick is great, but I prefer some directors over him, like Lean, Polanski, Hitchock, Forman, Brennagh, ...Clarke wrote the single most thought-provoquing story.

YEEEEESSSS! haha...
I was wondering when you'd find that.

I must say the thing I like the most about it is the plot. Not direction. In other words, Clarke, not Kubrick. Don't get me wrong, Kubrick is great, but I prefer some directors over him, like Lean, Polanski, Hitchock, Forman, Brennagh, ...Clarke wrote the single most thought-provoquing story.
Make sure you stay for later on, when we do the top 100 of the 50's. I can't wait for that list. I love Hitchcock's films, and the 50's have a nice selection there. I love many films from the 50's.

2001: A Space Odyssey was my #5

2001: A Space Odyssey is pure and raw beauty. There aren't any condiments added to makes things faster or add suspense. There is only music, a background of shining lights made by distant stars, and a spaceship spinning in a circular, meditative motion...

And that's when I realized I was watching a landmark in film history. Since then I (many years ago) I have loved this film.

2001 can be about a lot of things. It could be an allegory to evolution, the warning of machine taking over man, and many more. But I simply see it as art but into screen; into a three dimensional form, which is practically impossible. If you think Kubrick isn't a genius after seeing this film, you are brain dead. Even if you end up hating it, admitting that Kubrick is thy greatest man who ever looked through a camera is inevitable. With no CGI, almost zero plot, no sense of time or area,. It's the space version of Playtime.

While Playtime can end up only being clever, every moment in 2001 sends chills down your spine. The scene where a monkey discovering how to use a tool and using it to destroy an animal's bones already gives you multiple orgasms. Afterwards that same bone goes into space and holy sh*t a matching shot turns it into a spaceship!!!!

Yeah I think I might end up going to far with my write-up, so I'll calm down and write about HAL, who is such a great villain. He packs more personality than Joker and Lex Luther combined in my opinion. Easily the best aspect of this film, tied with surreal, psychedelic imagery. You want him to open a pod bay door? No can do, because he's HAL 9000 for extremely-intelligent-artificial-intelligence's sake!

The last 30 minutes of the film, the highlight, should be on Youtube, but it isn't. And even if I do find a video, it usually shows either 5 minutes of the journey to another dimensions or the bathroom with monolith scene. Obviously people don't get that 2001 is a film that is complete when connected as a whole. Never is a moment where the film stops to take a break or explain what's happening. It's too great for petty things like that.

I am soooo glad that 2001 made it to #1. This has officially restored some lack of trust among y'all MoFos. Lastly, thanks to Daniel for running a list for such a wonderful decade.

I think 2001 is The Bible without evil. Impossible, of course since evil exists, but that's why it's called fiction.

The Book of Genesis

In the beginning God created heaven and earth. So we have a black screen for a few mins. And then God said: Let there be light! And there was sunlight appearing behind.

The Dawn of man

no evil-no original sin, so we pass immidiately to the New Testament.
Jesus was sent by God to illuminate us. And monolith was sent by God to illuminate apes. Jesus died on the cross to ascend to heaven and ascend all of us. Ape realised he can use a bone as a tool, that's why 2001 is very much Christian and non-Darwinistic who claimed evolution was continuous. No. There were jumps. Due to Jesus/monolith.

the book of Revelation

or

Jupiter and beyond the infinite

Dave Bowman was breaking the speed of light, but even that is a metaphore. he was becoming God. and he became God. Which we all will according to the Bible.

I said that I would post write-ups for the remaining films on my list, but I just haven't felt like it, so I'm going to be lazy and just post a bunch of images instead. I sent my list in several weeks before the deadline because I knew that I wasn't going to be around for awhile. One film I regret not seeing prior to submitting my list is The Great Silence, which would easily make my list if I submitted a revised edition today. I also wish I could tweak the order of some of the films. The Hustler should be several spots higher, for instance. And I kinda regret putting The Birds on my list. It was the first Hitchcock film I ever watched and it left a strong impression on me at the time, but I didn't like it anywhere near as much after recently revisiting it. It's still a great film full of iconic scenes and it's still impossible for me not to immediately think "Oh, *****, it's happening!" anytime I look out the window and see a horde of crows in the backyard, but it's no longer one of my twenty-five favorite films of the decade. Anyways, here's my list. All but one entry made the countdown.

#1) Once Upon a Time in the West

#2) 2001: A Space Odyssey

#3) The Apartment

#4) Psycho

#5) Cool Hand Luke

#6) Easy Rider

#7) For a Few Dollars More

#8) Requiem for a Heavyweight

#9) The Wild Bunch

#10) Peeping Tom

#11) Rosemary's Baby

#12) Fail-Safe

#13) The Manchurian Candidate

#14) The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

#15) Repulsion

#16) Knife in the Water

#17) Night of the Living Dead

#18) The Birds

#19) The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

#20) The Hustler

#21) Midnight Cowboy

#22) Persona

#23) High and Low

#24) Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

#25) Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Movies That Nearly Made My List:
Bonnie and Clyde
Yojimbo
Red Beard
Spider Baby
Guns for San Sebastian
Death Rides a Horse
Two Thousand Maniacs!
The Virgin Spring

Seven films that I like is pretty good for the 60's, Captain. Shame Two Thousand Maniacs didn't make it. Have you seen Blood Feast? Personally I prefer that quite a bit, but I do really like Two Thousand Maniacs!

Seven films that I like is pretty good for the 60's, Captain. Shame Two Thousand Maniacs didn't make it. Have you seen Blood Feast? Personally I prefer that quite a bit, but I do really like Two Thousand Maniacs!
I liked Blood Feast, but the only part that has really stuck with me is the cow tongue scene. I think Two Thousand Maniacs! is the much better film. Better story. Cool twist ending. More clever uses of gore -- like the barrel ride with nails, for example. Plus I just have a thing for demented rednecks in horror films. Two Thousand Maniacs! isn't scary in the slightest, but it's still a bit unnerving how much it reminds me of where I'm from and people I've known.

I dont visit MoFo that often anymore, but i thought i would share my list, for those interested:

1. Persona (1966)
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
3. Shadows of Our Forgotten Ancestors (1964)
4. Charulata (1964)
5. Je t'aime, je t'aime (1968)
6. The Battle of Algiers (1966)
7. Psycho (1960)
8. I Am Cuba (1964)
9. Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
10. Gertrud (1964)
11. The Silence (1963)
12. Red Desert (1964)
13. Memorias del subdesarrollo (1968)
14. Pierrot le fou (1965)
15. Andrei Rublev (1966)
16. Rosemary's Baby (1968)
17. Breathless (1960)
18. Army of Shadows (1969)
19. Last Year at Marienbad (1961)
20. Go, Go Second Time Virgin (1969)
21. An Autumn Afternoon (1962)
22. Repulsion (1965)
23. Winter Light (1962)
24. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
25. Funeral Parade of Roses (1969)