Reply to "latest comments received"

Tools    

Is there an easy way to reply to comments recently received? You know when you open your profile and scroll down you see the last few comments on particular posts. Instead of PMing and explaining what post and so on, can one reply directly to a comment, kinda like in an email. Sounds silly I guess, but I always get questions in this area and it would be neat to be able to just hit reply to comment or respond and the recipient get their original comment back along with the reply. Am I making sense? Oh well, just wondering.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
This has been on my mind as well for some time.

Good job bringing it up 7thson.

Suspect's Reviews

Sounds like a job for... YODER MAN!

I hear what you're saying, but I'm not sure if there's a good way to do this. For one, the comment feature is just piggybacking on the old reputation system, and reworking it to allow for back-and-forth would essentially be creating a mini-PM system from scratch. I'm not sure how many layers of communication we can have between posts, what with shouts, comments, PMs, etc.

That said, I've often wanted this feature myself, so I can't blame you for raising the issue. I'll have to think about it a bit more. My first impression is that it's too specialized given the amount of time it might involve, but I'll ponder it a bit. If it does happen, though, I'm pretty sure I'd have to put it off until I've finished a few other things, including an upgrade of the forum software.

EDIT: if it helps at all, I could stick a "Reply via PM" link on each comment which brings up a new PM addressed to each user. What do you guys think?

Is there an easy way to reply to comments recently received? You know when you open your profile and scroll down you see the last few comments on particular posts. Instead of PMing and explaining what post and so on, can one reply directly to a comment, kinda like in an email. Sounds silly I guess, but I always get questions in this area and it would be neat to be able to just hit reply to comment or respond and the recipient get their original comment back along with the reply. Am I making sense? Oh well, just wondering.
Geesh, some people are so lazy!

You never answered my last comment, either. PM me, you butt!

EDIT: if it helps at all, I could stick a "Reply via PM" link on each comment which brings up a new PM addressed to each user. What do you guys think?
That sounds cool.

That sounds like a pretty easy way to address it. I have replied many times to a comment by pm and the only small hassle of that is in the having to back out and either search for the user so I can click on them to pm them or find one of their posts.

If I add a whole mess of people to this "buddy list" thing will I have a whole list of users that I can click on and not have to search them out? I haven't even really looked at what the buddy list does, so if you got a second could you explain it to me like I'm the village idiot?

I think 7thson is lazy!

What ever you decide Yods, is ok with me

Sorry guys, I didn't see these replies before! I've gone ahead and added a "PM" link next to the username on each comment. Might be a little cramped in there, but that should do the trick.

If I add a whole mess of people to this "buddy list" thing will I have a whole list of users that I can click on and not have to search them out? I haven't even really looked at what the buddy list does, so if you got a second could you explain it to me like I'm the village idiot?
Sadly, the only real explanation is that the buddy list doesn't do much. You can use it to see who's online at a glance, and PM them easily, but that's about it. It's more useful on boards with an outrageous number of users, wherein it can be hard to see who's online, and who's not.

That said, I was working on a way to expand the buddy list a bit, but the software this forum runs on recently released an upgrade that does a lot of what I'd started to do myself. Thankfully I heard about their plans for this before writing an entire system myself, so I didn't end up wasting too much time.

Anyway, long story short: once we've upgraded (might be a month or two), the whole buddy list thing will have a bit more reason for existing.

You're a Genius all the time
Hey Yoda, any chance we could see the comments we've left for other people displayed somewhere in our user CP? It just seems like whenever I leave a message, I forget what I wrote five seconds later. It'd be cool to have them listed next to our received comments or something.

Hey Yoda, any chance we could see the comments we've left for other people displayed somewhere in our user CP?
Not a bad idea.

Hey Yoda, any chance we could see the comments we've left for other people displayed somewhere in our user CP? It just seems like whenever I leave a message, I forget what I wrote five seconds later. It'd be cool to have them listed next to our received comments or something.
Good idea. I'll see what I can do about this. Might not get to it for a bit, but feel free to bug me about it if nothing's happened within, oh, a few weeks or so.