Zotis' Film Watching Diary

→ in
Tools    

looks great

I'm pleasantly surprised you enjoyed American Hustle, as when I saw you had a review of it, I immediately thought you may have a bias against it, which you actually admitted. Good going being open minded. With seeing you're interested in other films from that director, I'll say my favorite of his is Three Kings. I have no idea if you'd like it.

I still need to see Chungking Express.

The World of Kanako (2014)

A bit of a roller coaster, this movie cuts all over the place and jumps from slow paced and atmospheric to a race horse on crack. Part of the story takes place in flash backs 3 years prior to the main events as the mystery behind what's going on unfolds simultaneously on both tracks. Kanako, played by the delightful Nana Komatsu (Silence, Destruction Babies), has gone missing and her retired detective father, played by Koji Yakusho, is on a violent rampage to find her. There are a lot of characters, so it may be hard to keep track of them all, and the erratic pacing and frantic cutting may make it difficult to follow the plot a little too, but the mess of the film kinda reflects the mess of the characters I suppose. Yakusho plays a bit of a psycho. There is an exaggerated amount of blood and characters get shot, stabbed, beaten, and still manage to keep going on. In one scene a couple of characters shrug off getting hit by cars like they're cartoons.

weird i didnt see these before on previous page

i remember that sequences and the tone turn comical compare the rest of story (when joe odagiri appeared kinda refering to some kind of old crime/detective soap drama i believe) . I think tetsuya nakashima overdone with the styles more than before which also not help when the plot kind of messy more than it intended , or probably his usual approach not quiet compatible with what could be an intense psychological thriller

Destruction Babies (2016)

One day a delinquent leaves home to wander the streets getting into fights with random people. Eventually a straggler starts following him around filming. Nana Komatsu plays a girl they abduct along the way. Meanwhile the younger brother, played by Yuya Yagira, tries to find his brother. The street fighting was very realistic which makes me wonder how they filmed it, because it looks painful. The make-up and blood effects were pretty good too. Komatsu was also in Silence.

these was quiet strong experience from last year, the punchs feel so close and succes emphasized the feel of spectator on real street brawl . i still havent rewatch it till now :')

Our Lady of the Assassins
(2000)

Directed by: Barbet Schroeder

I expected better from Schroeder. The thing that felt the most off about this movie was the cinematography. Right from the beginning it was extremely distracting. I'd seen a trailer for this movie before and it interested me, and it won a few awards. So I was taken aback initially. Visually it looked like an exceptionally amateurish b-movie, but the acting was pretty decent. The special effects also gave me terrible b-movie vibes. The muzzle flashes from guns looked like something out of a teenager's youtube video. Otherwise it seemed like a decent movie. I was just really distracted by these two things. The plot revolved around a gay man who returned to his hometown to spend the remaining years of his life and fell in love with a young man who worked as a hired killer. He seemed to be around the age of 50. He often visited random churches, but he had some peculiar notions about God and was pretty much an atheist (although I couldn't be certain). I found the movie a little boring, and by the end of it I was kind of just glad it was over. I wouldn't recommend it at all to anyone. Definitely the worst Schroeder film I've seen.

Annihilation (2018)

This review is pretty crap, and probably boring, but I hope some people get some enjoyment out of the content as I ramble on about the movie. The spoilers are pretty heavy.

I think you should say some stuff about what's great about the acting outside like "Klaus Kinski Level", i stopped watching there and i only made it to that point coz i like you. I regularly make posts here saying something is bad or good but i wouldn't make a video of myself literally saying x is good, x is bad.

Maybe this is some joke and i missed it, i left your last thread as soon as i saw the video, glad to see you've changed things up a bit.

I think you should say some stuff about what's great about the acting outside like "Klaus Kinski Level", i stopped watching there and i only made it to that point coz i like you. I regularly make posts here saying something is bad or good but i wouldn't make a video of myself literally saying x is good, x is bad.

Maybe this is some joke and i missed it, i left your last thread as soon as i saw the video, glad to see you've changed things up a bit.
Na it wasn't a joke. I might watch Annihilation again tonight and do a more thoroughly prepared and in depth review. I'm taking more notes as there is quite a bit more I want to say about the movie.

Na it wasn't a joke. I might watch Annihilation again tonight and do a more thoroughly prepared and in depth review. I'm taking more notes as there is quite a bit more I want to say about the movie.
Do you actually feel you're that oppressed?

Do you actually feel you're that oppressed?
What do you mean? I don't feel oppressed at all.

What do you mean? I don't feel oppressed at all.
Don't you feel like you're in a strong position to mock people in a lesser position than you then?
I don't think in those terms. If I was a cripple I might do a skit making fun of people who can walk for example. I don't take things like that too seriously, but just try to have fun and be honest. I also don't see any accomplishment in defeating a weak opponent.

If something is funny I want to say it. Why do I have to worry about some moron on the internet who might get their panties in a wad? And why do they assume I mean the joke in a serious way? Like if there is a funny joke about Americans it doesn't mean I actually have something against them.

If something is funny I want to say it. Why do I have to worry about some moron on the internet who might get their panties in a wad? And why do they assume I mean the joke in a serious way? Like if there is a funny joke about Americans it doesn't mean I actually have something against them.
Why did you need to do a voice obviously mocking mentally challenged people? Are you that idealess that you go for low hanging fruit?

Like if there's a funny joke about Americans then tell it, don't do silly voices you're better than that.
'

Why did you need to do a voice obviously mocking mentally challenged people? Are you that idealess that you go for low hanging fruit?

Like if there's a funny joke about Americans then tell it, don't do silly voices you're better than that.
'
And what do you think about Andy Kofman, Jim Carey, and Mike Myers? Are they making fun of mentally challenged people?