Virgin Hall of Fame

Tools    

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Hey, guys! I
The Graduate My feelings on this one probably belong in the 'unpopular movie opinion' thread, but I'm not that crazy about it. Maybe I'm just old and cranky yet too young to have really experienced the 60's, but Dustin Hoffman's character is a spoiled kid in my eyes and I wasn't feeling any sort of empathy for him. And Elaine? She really wanted to play sloppy seconds to her mom? No thanks. These thoughts o mine tainted the rest of the film for me, unfortunately. Maybe I'll try and watch it again in another decade, LOL.
Bottle Rocket Oh, how I love thee, let me count the ways! This is the kind of humor I like. I love Wes Anderson's filming style, but I really enjoy the differences in Bottle Rocket. What I wouldn't give to have people like Dignan, Anthony and Bob in my life. Even Future Man! (another Wilson bro, btw, Andrew) My favorite line at which I laugh non-stop: "Okay. There, you see the star is me, right there, and I'll be in there. The X is Anthony. Bob, you're the zero out here in the car."
Great to know Your thoughts about all movies
I think I'm the only one here, who liked Dustin Hoffman's performance in The Graduate I saw in his character rather a rebel teenanger than a child. For instance, when he declared to his parents he was getting married, when the future fiancee didn't know about proposion and she even didn't like him. It made me laugh. Remainds me some of ideas oft thirteen years old daughters of my friend
And Elain who decided to marry hers mother former lover? You described it perfectly. I see her like a stubborn teenager who wants to rile parents. She stoped being so self-confident and so shure of the choice she made in the bus.
Despite all this, I do understand Benjamin's state of mind. As @Okay wrote

"The Graduate" follows Benjamin, a graduate, who's a little worried about his future. Being in my senior year myself, I naturally gravitated towards this kind of theme, and totally understood where Hoffman's character was coming from. The feeling of wanting to do something substantial but not knowing exactly what, is something that most of us will go through at some point of our lives.

I felt very similar afrer my graduate and I have this feeleing from time to time, when I need to make some major decision.

I haven't seen The Bottle Rocket yet, but I really enjoy Wes Anderson movies

. Luckily for me, my mom does the cooking, so my job is to: A..show up, B..eat..C..get sleepy
It's my fav principle of segregation of duties (I guess because I'm not a mother).
Moms are superheroes, aren't they?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The Graduate My feelings on this one probably belong in the 'unpopular movie opinion' thread, but I'm not that crazy about it. Maybe I'm just old and cranky yet too young to have really experienced the 60's, but Dustin Hoffman's character is a spoiled kid in my eyes and I wasn't feeling any sort of empathy for him. And Elaine? She really wanted to play sloppy seconds to her mom? No thanks. These thoughts o mine tainted the rest of the film for me, unfortunately. Maybe I'll try and watch it again in another decade, LOL.

I felt the same way about The Graduate. I've seen the movie before, (many years ago), but I was never a fan of it, so I rewatched it when it was nominated in this HoF. I thought maybe I missed something when I watched it way back when because I was too young to get it, but my feelings didn't change much this time.

WARNING: "SPOILERS ABOUT THE ENDING!!!" spoilers below
I like Dustin Hoffman as an actor, but his character wasn't very likable in this movie. I don't know why Elaine went with him at the end, but if you watch their faces at the very end of the movie, it looks like they're already regretting their decision to run away together.

movies can be okay...
I'm probably going to check out "Léon" this weekend, and if I'm lucky, I'll get to another film as well.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

The Return (2003)

I thought this was pretty great. I loved the way it was filmed with longer scene takes, and camera shots that were held long enough to give time to reflect on the moments at hand. The editing was smooth and straight forward. I liked that this was a linear story, with a beginning, middle and end...and void of flashbacks and multiple story lines. That linear story telling allowed the film to focus intensely on the moment. The use of the journal as a narrative tool and the daily countdown (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc) added to that focused intensity.

The cinematography was sublime and fit the story narrative to a tee. The camera was mostly quiet with wide angle views, with just enough creative shots such as the overhead straight down look on the father in the boat. Those few creative shots gave the film an art feeling, and briefly suspended time...giving the viewer a chance to reflect.

The two child actors were amazing in this. They said so much just with facial expressions and body language. They skillful conveyed the complex moods that they felt about being with a man, who was their father, and yet was a complete stranger with a mysterious past.

Even the post production mixing of the low key, low volume music score was brilliant...as the score is hardly audible and yet subconsciously imparts and emotional resonates to the watching experience. The de-saturation of the warm colors out of the final print, leaves an austere bluish green tint that looks as foreboding as the story-line was.

Impressive film.

I think I'm the only one here, who liked Dustin Hoffman's performance in The Graduate
Nah, i think he's outstanding. I've just been keeping out of this since i'm not a member and can't be bothered going back and forth about this stuff, especially since i haven't seen it in a good while. I will say that from some of the complaints some of you seemed to expect an authentic, believable performance and i don't know why; it's supposed to be a dreamy, exaggerated world and Benjamin is supposed to be aloof, someone who doesn't fit into that world he's supposed to be weird.

Nah, i think he's outstanding.
I've just been keeping out of this since i'm not a member and can't be bothered going back and forth about this stuff, especially since i haven't seen it in a good while
Needlessly. It isn't probably only my opinion,that thanks Yours, Eds, Yams and gbs posts, this thread is more abundant and new memebers, as I, observe how HoFs work.
You are very welcome here, especially when You agree with me (I know, I know - bad joke).

movies can be okay...
I'm glad you liked "The Return" Citizen Rules, it's an extremely impressive film not only for its budget, and not only for it being the first feature film by the director, but more importantly for the final result.

As for Hoffman, I do realise that he is playing someone who's not completely realistic in a world that's somewhat exaggerated, but I still think he was overacting at certain points. Regardless, "The Graduate" is a pretty good movie overall.

The Return (2003)

The cinematography was sublime and fit the story narrative to a tee. The camera was mostly quiet with wide angle views, with just enough creative shots such as the overhead straight down look on the father in the boat. Those few creative shots gave the film an art feeling, and

Ive got a feeling that You enjoyed this movie because of the way it was made. Sometimes I watch a movie which impresses me with the form and I appreciate cinematography, music, lights etc. In case of The Return's plot it is so intense that I didn't pay attention to the form.

...As for Hoffman, I do realise that he is playing someone who's not completely realistic in a world that's somewhat exaggerated, but I still think he was overacting at certain points. Regardless, "The Graduate" is a pretty good movie overall.
I agree I liked The Graduate, and it's proving to be a very topical movie, and in an Hof the movies that get people talking and thinking about that are the ones that make Hofs fun, so I hope @Stirchley isn't put off by our discussion of Dustin Hoffman. I was very glad to have watched the movie! And it's on the Mofo list, so I could finnally say I watched it

Ive got a feeling that You enjoyed this movie because of the way it was made. Sometimes I watch a movie which impresses me with the form and I appreciate cinematography, music, lights etc. In case of The Return's plot it is so intense that I didn't pay attention to the form.
I liked the plot in The Return, it worked well as a mystery. It kept me wondering what was going to happen next.

Deep Cover
I was afraid of this movie cause this genre isn't in my type and I was wonder what interesting I will be able to write about it. I watched it and it turned out I was right. I know this film is old and it was made endless quantity of similar movies for 25 years, which I watched. And thats why Deep Cover isn't anything special IMO.
The plot is very involving, complicated (what I liked the most was moral dilemmas of main character) and so on, but showed in funny way from the perspective of today's viewer.
I have to confess I was laughing loud during watching the scene in which the boss of gangsters (who later turned out to be a cop) called for a duel David Jason. The striptizer who was dancing for them was taken by security guard and I was confident something terribly would happened next, like firefight or struggle, but the boss called Jason for a play in which they were trying to hit each other hands! (I don't know English name for this game. In Polish it calls The Play in the Paws). "Hide! They will be playing in the paws!" Hilarious. In the next scene Jason's wife looked at his lacerate hands with anguish and asked him to give up with all this stuff. Playing in the paws can be dangerous.

movies can be okay...
I'm probably going to check out "Léon" this weekend, and if I'm lucky, I'll get to another film as well.
I guess this will have to wait

You've got red on you!
And now, a question that ALWAYS comes up on Thanksgiving: Stuffing INSIDE the turkey or made separately?
Made separately But that's mainly because I like to make a LOT of it, and the bird usually isn't big enough to hold it all. Also because I'm a little weirded out by the whole thing

Deep Cover
I was afraid of this movie cause this genre isn't in my type and I was wonder what interesting I will be able to write about it. I watched it and it turned out I was right. I know this film is old and it was made endless quantity of similar movies for 25 years, which I watched. And thats why Deep Cover isn't anything special IMO.
The plot is very involving, complicated (what I liked the most was moral dilemmas of main character) and so on, but showed in funny way from the perspective of today's viewer.
I have to confess I was laughing loud during watching the scene in which the boss of gangsters (who later turned out to be a cop) called for a duel David Jason. The striptizer who was dancing for them was taken by security guard and I was confident something terribly would happened next, like firefight or struggle, but the boss called Jason for a play in which they were trying to hit each other hands! (I don't know English name for this game. In Polish it calls The Play in the Paws). "Hide! They will be playing in the paws!" Hilarious. In the next scene Jason's wife looked at his lacerate hands with anguish and asked him to give up with all this stuff. Playing in the paws can be dangerous.
Sorry you didn't like it, Ms. M. But i appreciate you watching.

I love Deep Cover!

And hey Virgin HOFmers. Was an incredibly busy Thanksgiving weekend for me, but looking to get back into our list tonight.

Planning to watch Bottle Rocket tonight.

Sorry you didn't like it, Ms. M. But i appreciate you watching.

I love Deep Cover!

And hey Virgin HOFmers. Was an incredibly busy Thanksgiving weekend for me, but looking to get back into our list tonight.

I'm glad I watched it, anyway. I hope my review isn't to rough. I'm sure You have some reason to love it, so I'm looking forward to know Your opinion.

Made separately But that's mainly because I like to make a LOT of it, and the bird usually isn't big enough to hold it all. Also because I'm a little weirded out by the whole thing
Ha! so I'm not the only person who is weirded out by stuffing inside a turkey I had a super Thanksgiving dinner, with outside stuffing too!

...And hey Virgin HOFmers. Was an incredibly busy Thanksgiving weekend for me, but looking to get back into our list tonight.

Cool, I'm very interested in your reaction to Bottle Rocket. Have you seen any other Wes Anderson films? If so, did you like them?

I hope to be watching your nom, Deep Cover very soon.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Ha! so I'm not the only person who is weirded out by stuffing inside a turkey I had a super Thanksgiving dinner, with outside stuffing too!
the reason I asked was there was a debate going on that afternoon at work. I grew up with it inside the bird, it IS called stuffing after all. And we always had the same issue, Sylvie, never enough to go around. Nowadays there is at least two types; one inside and some kind of variation recipe of stuffing or two. Both very good AND enough for leftovers YAY

chuckled at your review, @Mrs M of Deep Cover and I honestly can't remember if I had seen it or not when it first came out. Will have to watch and see.