Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

King Arthur; Legend of the Sword
++ When I was a kid I read T. H. White's tome "The Once and Future King" and was completely into Arthurian Legend and all the ole tales written in the romantic vein, where Arthur was naive and idealistic, and the belief in Honor, Chasity, Justice were primary.

This, ain't that.

Which really should piss me off, but, considering how many movies in the last 15 odd years had nothing to do with the actual legend and were simply using the most familiar aspects and running wild with them, I had a little talk with myself and just looked at it as a sword fantasy/adventure made by Guy Ritchie and just rolled with it.

And that f@ckin helped A LOT.

After all, I AM a fanboy of Ritchie and while this isn't a fan letting him get away with blatant b@stardizing; its just me letting the hate go and enjoying fan fiction for it's specific entertainment. I mean, f@ck, if I was able to swallow my outrage at The Hobbit, I can do it with this.

And I did.
And I'm sure I'll watch it again and enjoy Ritchie's London street corner rough boys in an Arthurian parallel universe when I do, because, sh1t, it WAS pretty f@ckin cool to watch in a popcorn fodder kind of way.

Welcome to the human race...
Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

I was not very pleased when I found out they were making a sequel of Blade Runner. I hate the trend of "out of time" sequels that Hollywood has been following the last couple of years. They usually lack originality and live solely from nostalgia effect. So, when I heard Blade Runner, one of the most perfect, mind challenging, revolutionary Sci-Fi films of all time was getting in the train, I was obviously pissed.
I went to see it today, out of curiosity and, while it's not horrible, it suffers from every problem I feared.

The atmosphere and soundtrack, are recovered (or at least they try to) from the original, which alone builds the movie. It goes to show how incredibly strong the source material is, if it can be used so many years later and still have the same effect.
The rest is subpar, to say the least. The acting is quite bad (I'm glad Jared Leto didn't have more screen time, gosh, he's horrible), the script is laughable and they make the mistake of explaining and make really clear every single philosophical question the original had put, as if the audiences were stupid kids who couldn't think for themselves...
We don't have strong villains like Roy, nor strong existencial questions... Everything that made Blade Runner a special masterpiece is totally ignored.

What happened to the creative geniuses that worked in Hollywood for so many years? Do they really need to murder every single success from the past?

-
How do you complain about it lacking originality while also complaining that it doesn't do the exact same things that the original does? I thought it asked a good existential question in having...

WARNING: "BR2049" spoilers below
the protagonist be a replicant who starts questioning whether he is human as opposed to Deckard questioning his humanity

...and building from there instead of merely recycling the original's exact themes. I find it's better to think about what it does differently to its source and why rather than bristle at its daring to exist at all. At the very least, I'm glad that it's proving divisive instead of just blandly agreeable or disagreeable - that was definitely a problem that I had with Arrival, for instance.

Anyway...

Blade Runner 2049 -

Strong review to follow.

The Man Who Wasn't There (2001)
Director: Coen Brothers

This is stunning film work!
Visually the use of shadows and high key lighting, silhouettes and Dutch angles, wide overhead shots and deep focus...are all here, and done to a level of sublime, that I've not often seen in a movie. This film should be used to train new directors in the art of lighting.

Billy Bob Thorton was one of the coolest-odd characters to ever grace a film noir. Damn he made this movie...with his deliberately stoic acting and his taunt face of stone...Then there's his remorseful, yet downtrodden voice over narrative. The narrative itself, is a thing of beauty, both in the way the lines are delivered and by the pulp philosophy that rings truer then most films would ever aspire to say.

This is a slow paced film with long scene length, smooth and even editing between the scene transactions. The Coen brothers even have the genius to let the screen go black for a few seconds, in between major acts.

I thought this would be a 5/5 and be added to my top 10. But true to Coen's style they go a little over the top with the UFO lady and the ending goes a little loose and broad. Still I can't complain as that's what the Coen's are known for, and I guess that's what you call an auteur's stamp.

++
You sold me! I think I've seen this a while back. Something to add to the list, thanks!

The Star (1952)

Love this movie. Bette Davis is a queen

The Star (1952)

Love this movie. Bette Davis is a queen
One of my favorite Bette Davis films, glad to see someone else discovered it...It's not one of her most well known movies, but is well worth watching.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
How do you complain about it lacking originality while also complaining that it doesn't do the exact same things that the original does? I thought it asked a good existential question in having...

WARNING: "BR2049" spoilers below
the protagonist be a replicant who starts questioning whether he is human as opposed to Deckard questioning his humanity

...and building from there instead of merely recycling the original's exact themes. I find it's better to think about what it does differently to its source and why rather than bristle at its daring to exist at all. At the very least, I'm glad that it's proving divisive instead of just blandly agreeable or disagreeable - that was definitely a problem that I had with Arrival, for instance.

Anyway...

Blade Runner 2049 -

Strong review to follow.
Every question is just put directly, there's no space for differente interpretations as in the first one.

WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
And the main protagonist never questions if he's human. He just questions if he's a son of two replicants. that wouldn't make him human, just a special kind of replicant. And that has nothing philosophical about it.

The original Blade Runner is among the most influential, mind challenging and deep works of the Sci Fi genre. 2049 should have never existed, if it was going to be just one more movie.

Blade Runner 2049 (2017) -

While not quite as good as its predecessor, 2049 is a fitting expansion that manages to forge its own path without straying too far from the universe and aesthetic established in the first film.

I actually rewatched the first Blade Runner the other day with my room mate, and became worried that 2049 would not be able to live up to those standards. I never thought that the sequel was that great an idea to begin with, but I wanted to see what Denis Villeneuve could do with the material. Luckily, I was not disappointed. The visuals were impressive, that noir vibe still translated well, and I felt like it told an interesting and relatively original story.

I almost waited for a home video release to see this, but I'm glad I didn't. It was well worth my time and the cost of admission.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	bladerunner.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	390.9 KB
ID:	36184  

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
High five, @CosmicRunaway

Obviously, not as good as first part, but still very god. Big plus for strong reference to the old Bladerunner.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Oldboy 2003

The most powerful statement for birth control ever made.

I was really impressed. I would love to see the 3 hour Spike Lee cut, because I'm lost why anyone would try to re-imagine such a unique film.

Blade Runner (1982)

Quite good but I felt I should've liked this a bit more that I did

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Blade Runner (1982)

Quite good but I felt I should've liked this a bit more that I did
Was that a first time watch Yam? Which version did you watch?
Yeah first time. I watched it online so I don't know which version it was