14th Hall of Fame

Tools    

There will be other genre Hofs in a few weeks starting, just keep your eye out for them.
Sounds interesting but I'm not if I'll be able to handle two Hofs and Survivor at the same time. I'll still check it out probably

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

The Hurricane (1999)

I loved the premise. It's a great story idea and I'm a sucker for historical movies set in the mid 20th century. As soon as I seen this was abut events in the early 60's I knew I'd like it. The fact that it's based on a true story, is something else I usually like. How true is the story? I don't know? I've never heard of this case before or the boxer named Hurricane. Actually I've never seen Denzel Washington in much either. I guess he's often in action films and I don't usually get into those. But this looked promising.

I didn't care for the direction or editing of the film. There were scenes that started to explore something promising, then it's like the director cut those scenes short before they reached they emotional peak. Even though this was 2.5 hours, most of the scenes felt rushed. An example is: Hurricane shows hatred for the three white Canadians, as he was victimized earlier in his life and he doesn't trust them, and he ask them to stop writing him. Then in like the next scene he's best friends with them. There needed to be a bridge scene that brought the audience in on his icy heart melting and learning to trust the three Canadians who were trying to help him.

Same with the evil detective that frames him, why? We never really get a strong motivation for the detective to do what he did. The detective is a mere shadow and that's too bad as we need him to be fully fleshed out in order to feel Hurricane's pain.

I felt like the movie was almost making fun of the three white Canadians, they seemed odd and so goody-goody and happy. Are they all just really good friends who hang out 24/7 or what? Why do they do what they do and why are they always together? A little explanation about them and their motivations, would have helped. But a lot of the movie was like that, we were told what was happening but we never really experience it through character development.

The only scene that really got me was the first meeting between the boy and Hurricane. That was well done. Denzel rocked his role, but I didn't like the casting choices of the other four main actors (the three adults and the kid) they all felt two dimensional.

Still a good nom and worth watching.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Oh that's a let down, this looked pretty interesting. Thank you for the explanation and it looks like I will join the upcoming one.
hi, velvet. One of them in the future will be around the second or third week of September and will be decade based. Either the 30's or the 70's. As in, any movie within that decade.
Keep an eye out for HoF Threads. We'd love to have you, and like CR says, you are welcome to join in discussions and even post a review of any of the movies in this.

So far we're all agreeing on Contratiempo for the most part.Cosmic mentioned the cold blue-green austere look of the film. I had noticed that too and for me that was a thing of beauty. Oh I thought Laura was much prettier with long hair. And like Cosmic I thought she was a different character when I first seen her with longer hair.

I also agree with Cosmic and Ed that Adrian seemed subdued in his emotions, but for me that worked as like Ed said he seemed to be holding back.

I must say I was clueless to Virginia's motives, I liked that actress a lot.

Good review Ed
The color hues WERE quite beautiful and,
WARNING: "Virginia's character" spoilers below
kept giving me red flags all the time. Whenever she looked away, she seemed nervous, especially looking out the window, for instance.

WARNING: "Virgina" spoilers below
Did you realize that Virgina was the missing boys mother? I sure didn't.

WARNING: "Virgina" spoilers below
Did you realize that Virgina was the missing boys mother? I sure didn't.
WARNING: "No I didn't." spoilers below
I did know she wasn't there to aid, but to hinder Adrian and as it progress I wondered HOW they were able to win her over to them and what that back story was. DID NOT consider the ole Mission Impossible mask bit AT ALL.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
So far we're all agreeing on Contratiempo for the most part.Cosmic mentioned the cold blue-green austere look of the film. I had noticed that too and for me that was a thing of beauty. Oh I thought Laura was much prettier with long hair. And like Cosmic I thought she was a different character when I first seen her with longer hair.

I also agree with Cosmic and Ed that Adrian seemed subdued in his emotions, but for me that worked as like Ed said he seemed to be holding back.

I must say I was clueless to Virginia's motives, I liked that actress a lot.

Good review Ed

In Contratiempo, did the actress who played Virginia remind anyone else of Glenn Close? I kept picturing her in that role in my mind.

In Contratiempo, did the actress who played Virginia remind anyone else of Glenn Close? I kept picturing her in that role in my mind.
Yeah I can see that. During the movie I thought she looked like a character Meryl Streep would play. So you watched the movie? Did you know who done it before the ending?

Contratiempo

DO NOT READ ANY REVIEWS UNTIL YOU HAVE SEEN THE MOVIE!

I loved this movie. Whenever I see a great mystery/thriller these days, I mention how rare they are now. I could watch the genre day after day. Looking back at what happened, I wonder how I missed figuring everything out beforehand, but of course I'm glad I didn't. It helps that I do not try to figure out twists as I like to be surprised. For a while, the movie seemed very predictable. For instance, when Laura first meets the couple, I knew immediately they were the parents. This movie reminded me of many others for different reasons, among them The Last House on the Left, The Secret in Their Eyes, Rashomon, and ultimately The Sixth Sense. I knew absolutely nothing about the movie, and I actually wondered throughout if there was going to be some sort of ghost story twist. I'm glad there was not. I knew from the opening scene it was going to be very good as it's a beautiful looking movie, and the score also ended up being fantastic. All the acting was good but this movie is made by it's story. My wife loved it too and I won't be surprised if it wins this HOF. A great nomination that I think a lot of folks never heard of before. Now I can read everyone's reviews!

M (1931, Lang)

La Grande Illusion (1937, Renoir)

Empire of Passion (1978, Oshima)

Dom Za Vesanje (1988, Kusturica)

Night on Earth (1991, Jarmusch)

Mommy (Dolan, 2014)

Although I was too late to join I will try to watch at least one of these and discuss. These really all look good.

M (1931, Lang)

La Grande Illusion (1937, Renoir)

Empire of Passion (1978, Oshima)

Dom Za Vesanje (1988, Kusturica)

Night on Earth (1991, Jarmusch)

Mommy (Dolan, 2014)

Although I was too late to join I will try to watch at least one of these and discuss. These really all look good.
Oh cool, you're very well watched! I'd only seen a couple of these myself, of course by the end of this Hof I will have seen them all.

Like edarsenal said in mid September he's going to start a 1970s Hof, where all the noms have to be from the 1970s. It should be fun and I'm already thinking about my movie nomination.

BTW, the links to all of the movie noms reviews/write ups can be found on the 1st post in this thread. Raul is the host and he keeps them updated. It's a handy thing too if you watch a movie then want to see what the members thought of it.

Oh cool, you're very well watched! I'd only seen a couple of these myself, of course by the end of this Hof I will have seen them all.

Like edarsenal said in mid September he's going to start a 1970s Hof, where all the noms have to be from the 1970s. It should be fun and I'm already thinking about my movie nomination.

BTW, the links to all of the movie noms reviews/write ups can be found on the 1st post in this thread. Raul is the host and he keeps them updated. It's a handy thing too if you watch a movie then want to see what the members thought of it.
I haven't watched these movies, I was saying I wanted too.

Black Snake Moan (2006)

"For god's sake give her some pants..." I read that at IMDB on a review, some of the funniest reviews I've read are there. You know if this had been a dark comedy I might have loved it. It reminds me of something that the King of B movies would make, Roger Corman - IMDb, Roger would love this movie, hell he'd rip it off, then add some cheesy comedy to it and make millions.

But this ain't no comedy, it's a drama and so I couldn't wrap my head around the idea that our protagonist would be hero, aptly played by a god fearing ex bluesman, Samuel L Jackson, does what he does. I'd give Jackson's performance a solid 5/5. He's always real good and the overall story of a trailer trash wastoid and her exploits was interesting too. But the whole chain-up-a-woman in your house bit belonged in a horror/thriller. Had the chains been left in the garage or had the cheese fun factor been ramped up I might have liked this.

In a way this reminds me of Buffalo 66....we have Christina Ricci once again being kidnapped by a creepy dude. Only in Buffalo 66 it was clearly a dark comedy which made it all surreal and funny. But here it's played seriously, and seriously if a Reverend went to his friend's house and found a woman chained to the radiator, he would make a bee line for the police, not have dinner with them.

I doubt anyone is surprised that I didn't like this...but I'm surprised that I really did like a lot of this movie, just not the tawdry exploitative stuff.

Black Snake Moan is my younger sisters favourite film. It got her obsessed with Christina Ricci for a while so she had actually seen Buffalo '66 before me . It's weird because she doesn't watch films that much and she always asks me to suggest a film of a specific type that she'll like before she watches something (i'm almost always right), i said this is a wildcard but you should check it out - Buffalo '66 "seen it" ! She liked it alot!

Anyway when i said i thought i knew what MV had nominated i actually thought it was going to be The Sandlot, thought she had nominated this before for some reason.

Haven't even checked the first post for the other films yet will do now.

M

I was planning on rewatching M for my 30's thing. I watched it like 6 years ago after seeing it in a documentary (can anyone think which doc this could be i'm blanking?) and loved it. I don't remember it that well though so i'm not confident of my feelings on it.

Grand Illusion

Only seen it once but this is a favourite of mine and it's perfect IMO. Glad i stayed out of the HOF coz i'd probably spend alot of time arguing about this film as it's not going to be for everyone.

Barton Fink

Great film. Top five Coens probably. Watched this at the end of a Coen marathon which was perfect since it feels like such a weird mixture of so many of their themes and attributes.

The Hurricane

Again glad i stayed out of this. Without checking (you don't have the names next to the noms) i know this is Rauls and i feel awful disappointing Raul. I'm not a fan and "The Hurricane" is a lying POS so yeah...haha.

Mommy

One of my favourites. Kind of convinced Cricket to go ahead and nominate this as he was unsure so if anyone has any problems with links PM me haha.

Haven't seen the rest and surprisingly haven't heard of a few of them.

How true is the story? I don't know?
Not very or at least extremely questionable. Think i'm almost always on the side of the railroaded black man especially during this time...but nah. This full thing is BS, it's entertaining though. Think it's my brother in laws favourite film or at least one of, Denzel is his favourite actor too.