Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Nightcrawler (2014) -

Surely I'm not the only who thought this was an X-Men when this was first announced

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Box of Moonlight (1996) dir. Tom DiCillo

Goofy and a little bit touching, and even vulgar. I mean - goofy, touching and even a little bit vulgar. Early Sam Rockwell (who actually co stars in the film contrary to the awful dvd cover art indication that it stars Dermon Mulraney, which it does not -- at all.). Turturro is pretty hilarious and Catherine Keenar is really good along with Lisa Blount (rip). Definitely worth a watch. (dvd has dir commentary which is enlightening). DiCillo is also responsible for "Living in Oblivion" which is another great indie comedy about film making starring Steve Buscemi and NOT Peter Dinklage!

I gave it the same rating, I was slightly disappointed with this. It could be due to the fact that, according to some articles, the really "cool" scenes were cut out entirely from the film. Maybe if they kept them it would've given it that extra oomph I felt was lacking.

Coonskin (Bakshi, 1975)

Bakshi's blaxploitation acid trip is a chaotic hodgepodge utilizing broad stereotypes to mock how we generalize each other inside of and across racial boundaries as well as taking to task the false promise of America's melting pot.
Ha! I saw this back in the 80's on an Academy release vhs when it got renamed "Streetfight". Had been a staple. Never got any of what you wrote, though. Then again, I was like 11.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I gave it the same rating, I was slightly disappointed with this. It could be due to the fact that, according to some articles, the really "cool" scenes were cut out entirely from the film. Maybe if they kept them it would've given it that extra oomph I felt was lacking.
I cant remember how I rated it but I really liked the chemistry between the couple, and thought they were both very good actors but him in particular.

I cant remember how I rated it but I really liked the chemistry between the couple, and thought they were both very good actors but him in particular.
Yeah, the acting was fine, I'm actually a huge fan of Daniel Kaluuya. It's not a bad movie, but all the hype didn't help. I had huge expectations because of it.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Yeah, the acting was fine, I'm actually a huge fan of Daniel Kaluuya. It's not a bad movie, but all the hype didn't help. I had huge expectations because of it.
I'm not sure I've seen him in anything else.

The Spiral Staircase (1946)

There's a serial killer knocking off women with disabilities, and a cute mute is next. The mute is a sort of caretaker to a rich bedridden woman. There's other people in the house too, including the murderer. The house is creepy and there's great atmosphere with the shadows and weather. It's a good watch, but I've seen it all so many times already. It's too bad because I'm sure it was pretty fresh back in the day.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Smashed (2012)

I checked this out to see the Fargo babe. I was disappointed due to lack of babe. It has its moist moments. It has its pee moments. Winstead carries the film. She is talented. I never liked Pinkman, so, it's good to see him in a lesser role and out of the way. Otherwise, a decent movie.

Oklahoma City & Ruby Ridge (Goodman, 2017)

While Oklahoma City uses Timothy McVeigh's actions to examine a troubling national movement, the more wieldy Ruby Ridge focuses on detailing one of the most controversial, thorny government actions in recent memory. Both are fascinating despite their rather humdrum approach to documentary filmmaking. Although Oklahoma City is clearly the more ambitious, timely project indicting far right extremism, its black and white morality is less challenging to digest than the Gordian Knot that is Ruby Ridge.

The Chase (1946)

From the noirs list, but with only a 6.6 rating on IMDb, I thought the first 25 minutes were terrific. A guy returns a wallet he finds in the street to a man who turns out to be a gangster. The gangster likes his honesty and gives him a job as his chauffeur. The gangster and his henchman (Peter Lorre) were a lot of fun to watch. The new employee gets involved with the gangster's wife, and all of a sudden the story went completely down the crapper. It's too bad.

Sin City. Great movie and the more I see it the better I like it. The way they did the black and white with color was very good. And Carla Gugino!

Welcome to the human race...
Touch of Evil -

My main takeaway is that Orson Welles would've played an excellent Judge in a Blood Meridian film.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 was well worth the wait and a great sequel to what honestly was one of the biggest surprises of 2015. While I still prefer the original over this sequel, I find that it complements and expands on the… galaxy set by the original. James Gunn continues to deliver his vision in a Marvel universe, something that Edgar Wright found to be almost impossible. I can only hope that Thor Ragnarokhor is also the singular vision of its director; Taika Waititi. I was emotionally invested in a tiny humanoid tree and that’s why I love movies.

Full review over at my site!
Do I need to watch any other movies than Galaxy vol. 1 before watching vol. 2?

I'm not sure I've seen him in anything else.
Then you should check him out in Chatroom, The Fades, Psychoville, Black Mirror and if you haven't seen it already Sicario.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

The spirit of what comic movies should be. Made me feel like a kid for 2 hours and 18 minutes.

This might just do nobody any good.

This was okay. Fine lazy Saturday watch.

Right away you know what to expect from Hardy's performances. Their introduction through narration spells them out and, with them, the entire film.

Still, it's Tom Hardy, so I could watch him mumble and grunt all day.

There's a very blatant attempt at a Goodfellas moment that falls miserably flat.

A plus is that Emily Browning looks positively angelic throughout. So there's that.

5/10

The Wanderers (1979)

My 3rd time seeing it since it came out. Very good film - in parts - but also very disjointed and strange. Which is fine. A lot of really nice touches like a guassian Bob Dylan lookalike shot through sheets of plastic, rockin' 50's/60's soundtrack, excellent attention to detail concerning sets, tough action sequences staged very realistically and lots of humor. But still left me scratching my head. It exists as snippets and not so much a cohesive or even satisfying narrative. Or does it? I guess it was cutting edge.