Post-2010s list, what should the next countdown be?

Tools    

I also think you shouldn't even bother with Noir as a choice. Crime Films/Thrillers but not Noir.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

If we're gonna redo the decades how about turning it thru 180 and having some "worst of" countdowns
Mofo Top 100 Most Overrated Films of All-Time
(site blows up)
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
The decade countdowns covering the performances is something in my mind for a long time that I've even recently mentioned during the 2010's countdown.
So, I'm glad to see that other users think about it too. This is something I'd fully support.

My thoughts:

Musicals has been mentioned many times and is a broad enough genre that almost everyone has seen some. I suggest the host uses IMDB's 'Musical' tag as the sole qualification for what's a musical. The IMDB tag 'Music' should not be included. SO...Musicals defined by the above would include classics like Singin' In the Rain, Disney animated movies of past and present, Bollywood, and many, many other films. It's very doable.

Noirs my personal take is noir is an American film movement/style that occurred in it's pure form from 1941 to 1959...However I would not limit a countdown to just that, unless we start doing smaller and simultaneous countdowns so that we could produce more 'focused' list....SO I would suggest a noir countdown would consist of any movie tagged 'noir' at IMDB, which would then include proto noir, neo noir, foreign noir and anything else tagged noir. I think that would get enough draw to be a viable countdown.

War would work the same at both of the above. Just use IMDB's 'war' genre tag to qualify a movie as eligible.

*I think using the IMDB tag method avoids people getting upset and taking offense when their favorite movie isn't allowed as included.

I think using the IMDB tag method avoids people getting upset and taking offense when their favorite movie isn't allowed as included.
We have tried using the IMDb tags as gospel before. It didn't work as well as just letting people do whatever the heck they want. We tried voting for eligibility as they came up in the pre-countdown threads, and that wasn't especially satisfactory either. The genres that are left are either too specific (like Film Noir) or too general (like Action) for it to be easily solved.

We have tried using the IMDb tags as gospel before. It didn't work as well as just letting people do whatever the heck they want. We tried voting for eligibility as they came up in the pre-countdown threads, and that wasn't especially satisfactory either. The genres that are left are either too specific (like Film Noir) or too general (like Action) for it to be easily solved.
Disagree, most genre countdowns in recent times have used IMDB tags (like the horror countdown) and went as smooth or smoother than the other two options which are: Let the host decide OR let everything be included.

The western countdown had the host decide and I'm sure you'll remember people complained about some films being called westerns. I enjoyed the countdown and you did a find job but I do remember you commenting about the complaining/hassles.

I personally think the IMDB tag is the most fair solution to the genre problem. It gives us consensus where it is virtually impossible to get that kind of consensus in a forum where people interact so sporadically.

100 Movie Theme Songs list - It needs to be the original score of course (Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones) and not something that comes out of some rock song.

100 Worst Movies of all time - just messin that countdown thread would turn into a internal riot lol

I would like to do sequels - if we do that though, the question is would that go for the remakes and prequels also

Crime countdown would be good too

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

I have to get to work so just a few quick observations:

Originally the MoFo List were composed of AFI, BFI, Ebert, Cannes, etc list....Then the MoFo community started doing their very own list! I believe the only two genre list we haven't done yet as a community are: Musicals & Noir.

Also wanted to add one needs to scroll down about half way or more on an IMDB movie page to see the expanded genre tags...The tags that appear at the top of the page are not all the tags for the movie.

And we NEED A HOST or it's a no go!

Genre tags or plot keywords? Because Chinatown doesn't have the Film-Noir genre tag. So not eligible, we're going in circles.
No we aren’t. Not tagged, doesn’t count. That’s what makes that rule so appealing to me. I may disagree with IMDB, but I can scratch that film and move on. I don’t have to have five mofos telling me I’m wrong, five telling me I’m right, and wait all day on a decision.

Genre tags or plot keywords? Because Chinatown doesn't have the Film-Noir genre tag. So not eligible, we're going in circles.
It would be eligible, it's tagged neo noir. You're right in that technically IMDB is calling those plot keywords, but what we've done in the past is: if a genre tag appears anywhere on the IMDB page, the movie is in. Chinatown should be in.

It would be eligible, it's tagged neo noir. You're right technically IMDB is calling those plot keywords, but what we've done in the past is if a genre tag appears anywhere on the IMDB page, the movie is in. Chinatown should be in.
I'm on laptop, middle/bottom of the page it only says: Genres
Drama Mystery Thriller maybe there's more on mobile? I'm fine with plot keywords counting though.

My thoughts:

Musicals has been mentioned many times and is a broad enough genre that almost everyone has seen some. I suggest the host uses IMDB's 'Musical' tag as the sole qualification for what's a musical. The IMDB tag 'Music' should not be included. SO...Musicals defined by the above would include classics like Singin' In the Rain, Disney animated movies of past and present, Bollywood, and many, many other films. It's very doable.

Noirs my personal take is noir is an American film movement/style that occurred in it's pure form from 1941 to 1959...However I would not limit a countdown to just that, unless we start doing smaller and simultaneous countdowns so that we could produce more 'focused' list....SO I would suggest a noir countdown would consist of any movie tagged 'noir' at IMDB, which would then include proto noir, neo noir, foreign noir and anything else tagged noir. I think that would get enough draw to be a viable countdown.

War would work the same at both of the above. Just use IMDB's 'war' genre tag to qualify a movie as eligible.

*I think using the IMDB tag method avoids people getting upset and taking offense when their favorite movie isn't allowed as included.
For the genres there should be some restrictions, when it's about Musicals, it should be about the singing in most of the movie (La La Land and Grease) and not just some one off song, like the beauty in the beast song.

Noirs - Not sure what to do with this one really

War - It needs to be some serious on the battlefield type stuff for this to really work or were just gonna have the obvious contender for #1 or #2 - Dr. Strangelove O_O

The IMDB tags are in alphabetical order so it's a bit inaccurate, if you go to Letterboxd they do a better job at tagging a movie on what genre comes first.

Maybe you can consider Medieval movies too. Also, I support noir,best picture (nominations maybe), war, animation or comic reboot and LGBTQ would be nice actually but I don't think I've seen enough so most probably I can't participate

It would be eligible, it's tagged neo noir. You're right in that technically IMDB is calling those plot keywords, but what we've done in the past is: if a genre tag appears anywhere on the IMDB page, the movie is in. Chinatown should be in.

Just to be clear that neo-noir you see above plot summary is a plot keyword not a genre tag. So not tagged doesn't count as seanc says.

I'm on laptop, middle/bottom of the page it only says: Genres
Drama Mystery Thriller maybe there's more on mobile? I'm fine with plot keywords counting though.
Tagged stuff can just be things within the movie like if a movie was focused on Comedy and Action and you get tags that say Drama and Crime, well maybe there's some Drama and Crime in it but not the main focused genre of the movie

Disagree, most genre countdowns in recent times have used IMDB tags (like the horror countdown) and went as smooth or smoother than the other two options which are: Let the host decide OR let everything be included.

The western countdown had the host decide and I'm sure you'll remember people complained about some films being called westerns. I enjoyed the countdown and you did a find job but I do remember you commenting about the complaining/hassles.
I think there was a time we went by IMDb, and then also let the host decide in the thread about exceptions, and I think it went well.

Just to be clear that neo-noir you see above plot summary is a plot keyword not a genre tag. So not tagged doesn't count as seanc says.
In the Horror countdown the eligibility rule was: if the movie was tagged Horror anywhere on the IMDB page then the movie was eligible. So yes that included Plot Summary tags & Genre tags, as long as it's tagged somewhere on the IMDB page.

Actual the Horror countdown started out with the host deciding what was and wasn't horror...which caused a big fight that ended only when the host agreed to use Horror tags on IMDB pages. I think the tag idea solves a lot of hassles for the host and stops a lot of potential fights.