MovieGal's October Horror Watch

→ in
Tools    

I'll be reading. Will we see some Danish horror? I hope so.
Yes I have a list of foreign horror started. Just need to find where I can stream.

If you are interested, Opstandelsen (A Zombie Exorcism)is on tubi but by it's American title. Low budget but good zombie flick.

@SpelingError found one of the Finnish horror films I wanted.

October 5.

Bram Stoker's Dracula
(1992)
3/5
Starring Gary Oldham, Keanu Reeves, Winona Ryder, Cary Elwes and Anthony Hopkins
Link: Anthony Hopkins, Universal Monsters

An age-old story of Count Dracula. Centuries before, he fought the Ottomans and won but they informed his wife, Elisabeta, that he is dead. She feels she cannot live without her love, so she commits suicide. The priest informs him that she will not go to heaven so he cures and kills the priest, puts his sword within the cross at the altar and drinks from the blood that is split. He is cursed to live forever and never die. Centuries later, Dracula buys property in England and Jonathan Harker is set to Transylvania to close the deal. While there, Dracula notices that Harker's fiance, Mina looks like a reincarnation of his Elisabeta. Dracula moves to London and leaves Jonathan behind. He seeks out Mina and they form a friendship. Dracula disguised as a wolf, seduces Mina's close friend, Lucy, who becomes the walking dead herself. With the help of Lucy's former suitor, Quincy Morris, her finance, Arthur Holmwood and Dr. Abramham Van Helsing, they try to bring Lucy back to her former self. This fails and they kill Lucy and behead her.

Jonathan escapes from Dracula's castle and insists that Mina travel to Romania to be married. The rest, you know the story.

I watched this in the theatre when it first came out and I have to say Gary Oldham makes a great Dracula (in any case, a great bad guy!). Anthony Hopkins is amazing as always. My issue is Keanu Reeves' Johnathan Harker and Winona Ryder's Mina Murray. I could give or take both actors. It was a good retelling of the story. It's been a while since I had seen the film but the two actors make it worth a watch.

October 6.

The Rite
(2011)
3.5/5
Starring Anthony Hopkins, Colin O'Donoghue and Ciaran Hinds
Link: Anthony Hopkins

The story of a young man, Michael, whose family consisted of either morticians or priests, who decides to leave his job in his father's business to study at a seminary. He decides to leave the seminary due to a lack of faith. One night, Michael witnesses a terrible accident that injures a woman. She asked for him to give her absolution before her last breath. Father Matthew, seeing how calm Michael was, during the time of the woman's imminent death, says that he was destined to become a priest. He also informs Michael that there has been an increase in demonic possession and sends him to study exorcisms under Father Xavier in Rome. While studying in Rome, Michael still feels that he wants to leave the seminary. Father Xavier sends him to a Jesuit priest who specializes in exorcisms, Father Lucas. Micheal assists Father Lucas in removing a demon from a pregnant woman who later dies along with her premature baby. Father Lucas begins to act strangely and asks Michael to perform an exorcism on him, knowing that he, himself, has become possessed. At this time, Michael regains his faith.

This is one I watched at the cinema as well. I liked the story, I thought the performances were great. However, I did not know it was based loosely on a true story.

October 7.

Motel Hell
(1980)
3/5
Starring Rory Calhoun, Nancy Parsons, Nina Axelrod, Wolfman Jack
Link: 80s horror

Brother and sister, Vincent and Ida, run a motel along with their own meat company, where they make sausages, hams and other goods using the special recipe of human flesh. One night Vincent causes a motorcycle accident with Bo and his girlfriend, Terry. The next morning Vincent tells Terry that Bo died and was buried at sunrise. Vincent has a plan to keep Terry with him and Ida and for her to learn the business. There is a secret garden where Vincent's victims lay in wait to become the next tasty treat. They are planted up to their head, their vocal cords cut, so they can't scream and a feeding tube is attached to them to fatten them up.

Vincent and Ida's younger brother, Bruce, is the town's sheriff and he falls in love with Terry. However, Terry has become attached to Vincent and she tries to seduce him. Ida, while jealous, attempts to kill Terry. Bruce attempts to kill Vincent at the announcement of his wedding to Terry. Bo, who was being fattened up in the garden, escapes and tries to free the other victims of the garden. Terry realizes what Vincent and Ida are up to and they try to kill her, while Bo in his weakened state attempts to save Terry from the brother and sister.

Bruce finds his brother's shotgun and has a battle with Vincent, who is wearing a pig's head and has a chainsaw. The shotgun is dislodged from Bruce's hands and he and Vincent begin to battle with chainsaws. Bruce ends up killing Vincent and he and Terry go back to the garden, only to find Ida planted upside down.

I remember my parent's watching this movie and laughing at the scenes. I watched it years later and then watched it again within the past few years. It was nice to revisit and a fun watch. Its very cheesy as most horror films from the 80s tend to be.

October 7.

Sennentuntschi: Curse of the Alps
(2010)
3.5/5
Language: Swiss German
Tag: Foreign Horror, Dark Folklore/Fairytale

Current day in the Swiss Alps, a mother and her young daughter are picking mushrooms. The young daughter picks a deadly one and the mother instructs her to pick the proper one. A young man appears, showing the daughter where to find the mushrooms but while picking, she finds skeletal remains of an arm and hand. The authorities arrive to investigate and the young daughter picks out a photo of a young man who has been dead for decades.

Flashback to 1975, a young priest hung himself and the church authorities consider it suicide. Suddenly, a young mute woman appears, dirty and wearing only a sheet. They believe she is responsible for the young priest's death. She is cursed by the devil. The police officer of the region takes the young girl to find out who she really is. After looking through files of missing women, they come across one from decades ago that resembles the mute woman.

The story goes to two men who live in the Alps, a man and his mute nephew, who has invited a guest to stay with him. One night after heavy drinking, the man tells the stranger about a tale of two herdsmen who was lonely and created a woman out of a broom, straw and rags, and that the devil took pity on them and brought her to life. The man instructs his nephew to create such a woman so they can take pleasure on her. The next morning, laying where the broom doll was disregarded, is a young woman dressed in the same cloth as the doll. The man tells the guest that the story had a terrible ending, the Sennentuntschi killed them and created dolls from their skin. They take turns raping the woman. She bites one of the men during the attack. She takes her revenge on the uncle and kills his flock of sheep and stabs him to death. The nephew then dies in a fire. The bitten guest dies of blood poisoning from tetanus.

The young girl escapes back to town where a mob is hunting for her and she escapes with the police officer from the mob, led by the village priest. The officer learns that the missing woman from years ago, was held captive by the priest and the young mute girl is her daughter by him. They make their way back to the cabin of the men living in the Alps, where he finds their bodies have been stuffed with straw and made into dolls. Because of living in solitude for her whole life, she thinks if they are resurrected as dolls, then they will live again. She runs off, falls into a ravine and dies. The officer stricken with guilt kills himself.

The story goes back to modern time and finds the body of the mute girl only to realize she was human and not a demon.

I actually found this movie by accident years ago. My local comic book store had a catalog you could order, toys, comics, t-shirts and films. I have seen this film a few times over the years and enjoy it every time. It is one of the first foreign films I own on dvd. Being Swiss, I feel there aren't many films from this country.

(this is one of the reasons I rarely write a review of a film, because I give to much of the story away!!)

I forgot the opening line.
(this is one of the reasons I rarely write a review of a film, because I give to much of the story away!!)
If I'm reading one of your reviews and it's a movie I haven't seen before that I find really interesting I stop half way, deciding to read the rest of the review when I've seen the film.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Cool thread, I'll have to check out some of the ones I haven't seen.

October 7.

Motel Hell
(1980)
3/5

I remember seeing a clip from the climax of the guy with the pig head and chainsaw back as a teenager. There was a channel that used to show horror movies and as part of their ad, they would feature that scene (among others, there were clips I later found out were from Manhunter, The Fly and a bunch of other movies). When I finally caught up with the movie a few years later, it did not disappoint.

Madness of Many
(2013)
2.5/5
Country of Origin: Denmark
Language: English
Tag: Foreign Horror

The story of Vanessa, a young woman, who had been held captive and raped by her family from the age of 9 to 23 years old. At the age of 16 years old, she begins to prostitute and uses her money for drugs. She knows very little of what is truly love, as love to her is abuse, hate, darkness and mistrust. She finds men who begin to treat her the same way as this was her way of life.

The film is mainly scenes of nudity, abuse, rape, vomiting blood, bodies covered in blood, and disembowelment, while she tells her story in dialog form.

This is the second film I have seen by director Kasper Juhl and I expected no less. This film is not for everyone. His films are definitely of the "what the f*** did I watch" genre. It has a bit of an arthouse feel but definitely wouldn't recommend it to the common horror watcher.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
[center]
Madness of Many
Now THIS is the MovieGal we all know and love! This film looks like shit, tho! There are definitely better sick films out there! I bet you don't know the best/sickest of 'em. I'll keep you guessing what those are.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Now THIS is the MovieGal we all know and love! This film looks like shit, tho! There are definitely better sick films out there! I bet you don't know the best/sickest of 'em. I'll keep you guessing what those are.
Tumbling Doll of Flesh is the sickest I have seen.

Madness of Many looks interesting but I've been looking for Gudsforladt for about 3 years and I can't find it.
Yeah I have it on dvd. That was the only way I could find it. Finally bought a multi-region DVD ayer last spring. Now I just need tofind the dvd. It's still in a box from moving a while back.

Yeah I have it on dvd. That was the only way I could find it. Finally bought a multi-region DVD ayer last spring. Now I just need tofind the dvd. It's still in a box from moving a while back.
I don't collect DVDS anymore but it'll show up online eventually.

Moonfire
(2018)
3/5
Language: Danish

Two siblings, Valdemar and Alex, are young people with nothing better to do in life than to abuse and cause misery to others, drink all day and abuse drugs. They hire prostitutes for Alex's pleasure to abuse. Their father is very strict and controlling of the siblings, which has caused emotional abuse to them. Valdemar brings home Rebekka, a young woman he picks up at a bar, who Alex tries to seduce. There is high sexual tension between the brother and sister. One night, Alex decides to bring home a date, Rasmus, in order to make Valdemar jealous. Shortly after Rasmus arrives, tension starts to build in Valdemar, who challenges Rasmus to a game. Three hundred Kroners to break a bottle over Rasmus's head after giving him a dose of cocaine. Rebekka talks Valdemar into letting her hit Rasmus. Valdemar begins to make out with Rebekka, Alex steps in and begins to kiss her. When Rebekka starts to push Alex away, Valdemar goes into a rage and tells his sister to leave. Once Alex returns home, she begins to self-destruct. Alex begins to prostitute herself, who degrades her as he abuses her, just as her brother, Valdemar, shows up. Alex looks over her actions the past days and feels as if she's losing control over her life and the destructiveness of her brother.

This is the weakest film I have seen from Kasper Juhl. There wasn't much blood or perversion between siblings and/or other people. It was on the low end of the horror spectrum. Just two privileged young people doing random abuse and shit to other people to release their tension in life.

The trick is not minding

Madness of Many
(2013)
2.5/5
Language: English

The story of Vanessa, a young woman, who had been held captive and raped by her family from the age of 9 to 23 years old. At the age of 16 years old, she begins to prostitute and uses her money for drugs. She knows very little of what is truly love, as love to her is abuse, hate, darkness and mistrust. She finds men who begin to treat her the same way as this was her way of life.

The film is mainly scenes of nudity, abuse, rape, vomiting blood, bodies covered in blood, and disembowelment, while she tells her story in dialog form.

This is the second film I have seen by director Kasper Juhl and I expected no less. This film is not for everyone. His films are definitely of the "what the f*** did I watch" genre. It has a bit of an arthouse feel but definitely wouldn't recommend it to the common horror watcher.
This looks interesting, in a sick way. I’m going to have to keep an eye out for this

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Tumbling Doll of Flesh is the sickest I have seen.
You ain't seen nothing yet.

The Devil's Backbone
(2001)
4/5
Country of Origin: Spain
Language: Spanish
Links: Foreign Horror, Guillermo del Toro

A ghost story, in the setting of the end of the Spanish Civil War, a young boy, Carlos, is orphaned by his father, a loyalist who was killed, at an orphanage in the middle of nowhere. Shortly before his arrival, a young boy, Santi, was murdered by an older boy who now works as a groundskeeper for the orphanage and was orphaned himself, Jacinto. At this time, a bomb drops from the sky and is planted in the courtyard of the orphanage. During Carlos' stay, he begins to see the ghostly image of Santi. Jacinto, who is greedy and selfish, wants the gold that the orphanage has hidden that is for the loyalist cause to help with the war. During the course of the film, Carlos learns from another young boy, who he befriends named Jaime, that Jacinto was the one who caused the death of Santi. With the war drawing nearer, the children and caregivers of the orphanage try to escape but as thwarted by Jacinto. Jacinto decides to blow up the safe and take the gold as his own, killing and severely harming the caregivers. When this doesn't work, he gets the help of some friends, who are thieves themselves, to trap the boys and breaks attempt to break the safe open. Once the safe is open, they realize the gold is missing. Jacinto and his friends decide to kill the boys as no one would notice during wartime. Jacinto's friends, knowing the gold is gone, leave him behind. Jacinto finds the gold but not in the safe. The boys who have escaped lure Jacinto to the basement, where Santi was murdered and thrown into a water source, has taken down Jacinto and down with the help of Santi, kill Jacinto.

What can I say about del Toro? He's an amazing storyteller. I am a fan of almost every single one of his films. His dark sense adds texture to his stories. This film is one of the best foreign language horror films of all time.

Plus I don't mind a bit of eye candy with Eduardo Noriega.