David Fincher

Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I think with Fincher's love for taking the camera everywhere, and the kind of action we've seen in the past two M:I's, chances are that this should be a good combination. Now only if they could come up with a good story.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

*GAG*

I hope this does NOT come to fruition. I don't think Fincher needs to do a dumb, mainstream mega-budget actioner, and I sure don't want him to. I will definitely lose respect for him if he decides to go this way. I'm sure Cruise is a persuasive guy, and I'm sure it's an attractive proposition to have one of the world's most bankable actors as someone you can all on for a favor, but Fincher and M:I 3 is NOT something I'm excited about (not excited in a positive sense anyway).

Unless this is some grand scheme to get backing for an outrageously budgeted project of his own down the line, I don't understand why he would entertain this idea.

*GAG*
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I'll lose some respect for him if the film bites, but I won't demean him for merely taking the project on. I'll wait to see the flick first. I think Mission: Impossible was a very, very good movie...if the third is more like the first than the second, I think it'll be well worth-watching.

I like Fincher. He's definitely one of the most exciting filmmakers around and when he has a good story to work with, his films can be exhilariting.

Se7en and The Game worked almost perfectly for me. But I think he lost his way a bit on Fight Club - too much style, too little substance. The twist was predictable for me anyway and the movie didn't have an awful lot after the twist. The story needed a more serious treatment, rather like the bleakness of Seven and the Game, than its semi-comic form. Can't fault the perfomances but the direction wasn't Fincher at his best.

Yet to see Panic Room but I've only heard good things.

The first Mission: Impossible sucked something awful, though it looks like Raiders of the Lost Ark compared to that nonsense Woo crapped out for M:I 2.

Yes, Fincher did Alien 3 when he was a guy who was coming from music videos trying to prove to the Studios he could transfer his amazing visual sense to a feature film's narrative. He did. From there he went on to SE7EN, The Game, Fight Club and Panic Room. Mission: Impossible 3 would definitely be a step backward.

I agree with Chris here, if this third installment comes out like the first, then there's no need to lose all faith in Fincher.

Holden, you need to take some deep breaths.

No matter how many deep breaths I take, DePalma's Mission: Impossible is still a lousy movie, Woo's Mission: Impossible 2 is unwatchable, and the prospect of Fincher's Mission: Impossible 3 holds zero promise for me.

Yeah, DePalma - the other bearded Italian who makes one disappointing movie after another these days. DePalma didn't have as fall to far as Coppola, but neither makes the kind of brilliant flciks they did twenty and thirty years ago.

Oh well.

My old boss and I were talking about Coppola's fall one day, but that's a different subject matter...

I dunno, personally, it's Fincher's call if he thinks this won't affect his portfolio or not. All I can think of is the Ben Affleck/Matt Damon "Good Will Hunting 2: Hunting Season" scene from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. You have to do a safe picture, then you can do the payback picture.

The only advantage I can see to Fincher's Mission: Impossible is that it can't be worse than the first two.

The first thing to do to save the MI franchise is get rid of Tom Cruise - it's become a vanity project for him. The only decent part of the two movies was the opening to M:I 1 because it was a team effort and that's what M:I is all about - the team. But no, Cruise has to be the sole character on screen for the majority. M:I 2 is the worst movie made in the last 10 years, completely uninteresting.

Bring together a good cast that get as much screen time as each other - i.e. no egomaniac stars. And lose the facemasks.

If Fincher does that I think there's room yet for a good Mission Impossible film.

Yeah, there was an over-abundance of face changing in M:I-2 and it got very annoying. I rarely saw Rhames, or the other guy, the Australian Helicopter pilot in 2, and that really wasn't a team.

Hopkins looked very uninterested in his role as well.

Hopkins was in M:I 2? I honestly can't remember one scene with him. Didn't he just provide a voice? Wait... hazy scene coming back... nope, still can't place him... don't really care anyway. Hopkins' career is rotting recently. He deserved to be in the festering pile of pooh that was M:I 2.

I hate John Woo. Zip-a-dee-doo.

Hopkins was one of Hunt's supervisor dudes, or whatever. Had a short scene in, I think, a brown jacket thingy while in what looked like a stone castle or something. It was kinda funky...it was at night, too, I think.

"This is not Mission: Difficult Mr. Hunt, this is Mission: Impossible. Difficult should be a walk in the park for you."

I thought he handled his very small part well. Would've been cool to see Hopkins more involved in the flick, though. I think he'd make a good evil genius.

He had three scenes in the movie, and didn't look very interested in the whole thing. Was cool to see him in the movie, but he didn't look happy..

One of the greatest directors of all time. But i would rather he do a Samurai one, there havent been any recent greats.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I'm actually sickened by David Fincher doing a Mission Impossible movie. I don't want to see him do a pg 13 ANYTHING! (and you know no studio would let MI3 be an R, and it will suck like the other 2).

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Lets put a smile on that block
Hey does anyone know what his up to? Hav'nt heard from him since Panic Room. Wonder what his next project is gonna be? Anyone have any clue?