healthy guy pretends to me mad to avoid war

Tools    

It's a movie my father told me so I'm not sure about the exact plot.

All I know is that the movie is about about a guy who is enrolled for the war (I don't know which one) so his strategy is to pretend to be insane to avoid the battle. He is directed to a psychiatric hospital and stays there for "observation". He keeps that insane behavior for a long long time and in the end he's finally released. But, force of habits, madness doesn't quit him and he stays insane despite being "free".

My father doesn't remember more, when he saw it, or the year of the movie. It might French, or English but translated.

Thanks for your help !

It is likely he is remembering King of Hearts (1966, Philippe de Broca) starring Alan Bates & Geneviève Bujold.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest fits some of it - main character pretends to be insane to escape a prison sentence. He is a veteran, but not currently in the US Army.

I rather suspect what your father saw was an episode of the 1970s BBC television series Colditz -- specifically season 1, episode 10, "Tweedledum".

There is an outline of the plot at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coldit...ries)#Series_1. The entry also notes that "In a review of the series, The Guardian describes 'Tweedledum' as 'the standout episode, for its ingenious plan and astonishing acting'", which might explain why it was so memorable for your father.

It can seen on YouTube at

Probably not it, but Alice's Restaurant 1969

Thanks for your replies !

The two first seem to fit, I'll watch them and see if it corresponds to the story my dad told me.

Thanks for your replies !

The two first seem to fit, I'll watch them and see if it corresponds to the story my dad told me.
I'm not exactly sure which two(response or video) you're referrring to, but RGC1957's Colditz seems to be an almost exact match for your movie.