The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Just for fun I added up the placements for all of my ballot movies. The total is 8535

The lower that number is the more popular one's choices were. The higher that number is, the further away one's ballot choices were from the countdown.

I added the placements from my ballot, and my total is 9065.

What do I win?

@Citizen Rules

I don't think adding up the placements is accurate. It's probably a close representative of each person's taste vs. the collective site, but it's not completely accurate.

In theory, all of the 1-pointers should have the same rank because they all placed as the last place on the ballot for only one person, but if you look at the screenshots of the lists that are posted above, you can see that your 1-pointer, Cake (2014), ranked at 791st, but my 1-pointer, Nine Lives (2016), ranked at 807th. And @
pahaK;'s 1-pointer, Bliss (2019), ranked at 785th.

And that's only the 1-pointers. If other individual placements that were voted on by only 1 person, (or maybe 2 or 3 people), also rank differently on the countdown rankings, that will also affect the totals.

But it does give us an idea of who's tastes are closest and farthest from the site as a whole.

@Citizen Rules

I don't think adding up the placements is accurate. It's probably a close representative of each person's taste vs. the collective site, but it's not completely accurate.

In theory, all of the 1-pointers should have the same rank because they all placed as the last place on the ballot for only one person, but if you look at the screenshots of the lists that are posted above, you can see that your 1-pointer, Cake (2014), ranked at 791st, but my 1-pointer, Nine Lives (2016), ranked at 807th. And @
pahaK;'s 1-pointer, Bliss (2019), ranked at 785th.

And that's only the 1-pointers. If other individual placements that were voted on by only 1 person, (or maybe 2 or 3 people), also rank differently on the countdown rankings, that will also affect the totals.

But it does give us an idea of who's tastes are closest and farthest from the site as a whole.
I started to write about this but decided not to. Anyway, it seems that the tool doesn't understand the ties but ranks those films on some secondary basis (alphabetical order, I guess). So, indeed, this method only gives us a ballpark.

I started to write about this but decided not to. Anyway, it seems that the tool doesn't understand the ties but ranks those films on some secondary basis (alphabetical order, I guess). So, indeed, this method only gives us a ballpark.

Based on the titles and the rank numbers for the three 1-pointers that I mentioned above, (Bliss = 785th, Cake = 791st, and Nine Lives = 807th), you're probably right that it's alphabetical, but if not, maybe @Yoda can explain how the system handles ties.

But for those of us with the highest totals, I don't think we need an accurate number to know that our tastes don't exactly line up with the rest of this site. We know that we have unique tastes.

Well, I'm definitely going to have to watch YOUR list because even at the end of this I don't feel like there's much in our consensus here that really goes toe to toe with some other decades. I think the stats that were presented about how few votes compared to other lists some of these films pretty high up were getting may speak to recency but it may also speak to the films themselves.
But that is really just my feelings.

My apologies, but digging through the thread is a bit of a challenge, but what was your ballot again?

I'm trying to remember if Uncle Boonmee or Cemetery of Splendor was on it.

And for reference, you did think In Memoria was "great," correct? Or was it only "good?" I seem to recall you raving about it (but my memory gets easily confused). If my memory is off, then I guess those two questions about your ballot were irrelevant.

My total is 9578.
I added the placements from my ballot, and my total is 9065.

What do I win?
You win 2nd place Pahak wins the ultimate outsider award I might be 3rd runner up, which means nothing...it's just for fun

Based on the titles and the rank numbers for the three 1-pointers that I mentioned above, (Bliss = 785th, Cake = 791st, and Nine Lives = 807th), you're probably right that it's alphabetical, but if not, maybe @Yoda can explain how the system handles ties.

But for those of us with the highest totals, I don't think we need an accurate number to know that our tastes don't exactly line up with the rest of this site. We know that we have unique tastes.
The bolded part is all that matters All of the MoFos are unique in their own way.

You win 2nd place Pahak wins the ultimate outsider award I might be 3rd runner up, which means nothing...it's just for fun
About the outsider thing, @SpelingError, how many films were #1 on someone's ballot and received no other points (should we call these 25-pointers)? I'm assuming my Brimstone was such.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
SpelingError: Aaaah, the countdown's finished. I can rest now.

MoFo Users: Speling, Speling, if my #3 was instead #1 how would that impact the placement of the one-pointers, assuming I would also include 20 instead of 25 films on my ballot?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Mad Max: Fury Road: Car chase as world building. While cars kick up dust, and shoot fire, and crash, and drive fast, and play guitars, we will also come to understand an entire world. The level of imagination and cinematic love in this film is staggering. And, as expected, I totally forgot about it.

Parasite: A foreign movie so good even my racist father wanted to watch it. I think he actually paid to see it With his credit card. And liked it. Not so racist now, are you dad! Oh, yeah, great movie. Totally deserving of at least being top 10 if not number one.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Hey @Yoda any chance you can post the full list, including ranking, year, and votes, maybe in a google or excel doc? That could be fun to look through.
Taken from the revealed ballots, I've collected here a partial list of movies which follow the Near Misses. Meaning, the titles that received some noticeable support in the outskirts.
I've figured out that a movie by a single voter, placed at highest slots, is ranked around #300.
(my #2. Still Life is #301, I presume that I'm the single voter).

Near the Near Misses:

132. One Cut of the Dead (2017)
137. Amour (2012)
137. Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
138. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)
140. The Broken Circle Breakdown (2012)
142. Inherent Vice (2014)
144. Brooklyn (2015)
145. Another Year (2010)
146. Despicable Me (2010)
149. Meek's Cutoff (2010)
152. The Lobster (2015)
155. Climax (2018)
156. The Edge of Seventeen (2016)
159. Wonder Woman (2017)
160. Annihilation (2018)
164. The Death of Stalin (2017)
166. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (2013)
169. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Pt 2 (2011)
172. Zootopia (2016)
174. Capernaum (2018)
175. Phoenix (2014)
177. Poetry (2010)
192. Nebraska (2013)
197. Rush (2013)
198. Blue Jay (2016)
199. They Shall Not Grow Old (2018)

201. How to Train Your Dragon (2010)
202. Roma (2018)
203. Win Win (2011)
208. Victoria (2015)
209. Wreck-It Ralph (2012)
214. The Help (2011)
215. Marshland (2014)
217. Wind River (2017)
219. The Look of Silence (2014)
221. Raw (2016)
222. Kick-Ass (2010)
224. The Fault in Our Stars (2014)
225. The Greatest Showman (2017)
226. Mr. Turner (2014)
228. The Hunger Games (2012)
239. The Purge: Anarchy (2014)
244. La grande bellezza [The Great Beauty] (2013)
246. Brimstone (2016)
248. The Painted Bird (2019)
253. The Blackcoat's Daughter (2017)
254. Spider-Man: Far from Home (2019)
256. Ernest & Celestine (2012)
257. Bridge of Spies (2015)
262. RED (2010)
264. Berberian Sound Studio (2012)
268. Captain Phillips (2013)

248. The Painted Bird (2019)
Dammit. That film was released in 2020 where I live so I discounted it. It wasn't released anywhere in cinemas until March 2020. I probably would have voted it as my #1 . It is an incredible film.

About the outsider thing, @SpelingError, how many films were #1 on someone's ballot and received no other points (should we call these 25-pointers)? I'm assuming my Brimstone was such.
Searching for Sugar Man, Christopher Robin, Broken, Split, Maps to the Stars, and In This Corner of the World were the 25 pointers which only made it on one ballot.

Brimstone had 29 points since another user put it at #22.

C'mon, people. This is the agenda for today...
  • Post the link to the results spreadsheet
  • Start the thread for the next countdown (the Noir one)

@Yoda, pretty, please, with sugar on top

Re: tiebreakers and the Ballot Results tool. It does not handle tiebreakers, so the rankings you see are just there to give you a general idea. I included a note to this effect when I first posted it.

Re: spreadsheet. I should be able to do this, yes, might just need another day or two, little swamped still.

@SpelingError / @Yoda - any chance a link to the ballot tool for this countdown could be placed in either the OP or 2nd post (at the bottom) - might be interesting to revisit at some point in the future and it'll be much easier to find.

(interesting, it wouldn't generate both mentions without any spaces around the "/")

Yes, but I need to expand it so it'll work permanently (which is to say, not just be replaced by new results for the next countdown) first, so it's going to be a day or two, probably, along with some of the other things. There's a real and immediate backlog of tasks when these things end, unfortunately.

Yes, but I need to expand it so it'll work permanently (which is to say, not just be replaced by new results for the next countdown) first, so it's going to be a day or two, probably, along with some of the other things. There's a real and immediate backlog of tasks when these things end, unfortunately.
Tha's cool, completely understand .... wasn't pushing for it quickly just thought I'd mention it as an idea.

Searching for Sugar Man, Christopher Robin, Broken, Split, Maps to the Stars, and In This Corner of the World were the 25 pointers which only made it on one ballot.

Brimstone had 29 points since another user put it at #22.
The 25 pointer club goes well with the 1 pointer movies...and there's of course the Outsider 9000 point club! Which I'm a proud member of