The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Here are a few questions:

1. What director do you think will be represented the most?

2. What year do you think will appear on this list the most?

3. What film do you think will be at #1? HINT: It's Mall Cop 2

1. Not sure, but I'll pick one, Christopher Nolan

2. 2015

3. Not sure but atleast it won't be a Stanley Kubrick movie , move over gramps the newbies are taken over the #1 spot

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

I think the two other one-pointers I've seen are 21 Jump Street & Tucker and Dale vs Evil

21 isn't anything special, but I'm surprised to see T&D only get 1-point. I considered it for my list

We've gone on holiday by mistake
So what's this Nude Nuns with Big Guns all about then? Worth a watch?

We've gone on holiday by mistake

1. Its got to be Denis Villeneuve, partly cause he probably made more films than every other director, and they're all ridiculously good.

2. Stab in the dark but I'll go 2010.

3. Probably some overrated Tarantino.

The truth is in here
3. Not sure but atleast it won't be a Stanley Kubrick movie
Unfortunately not! Still say that Dr. Strangelove should have won over The Big Lebowski in the comedy countdown.

And we're off! Very exciting stuff. I never go for a one pointer but love how it's become very serious business.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Bliss is my 1-pointer. It's a very good and underseen movie. Here's what I wrote after watching it:

Bliss (2019)

I guess the best way to describe Bliss is a tribute to Abel Ferrara's The Addiction with drug-induced imagery of Mandy or Requiem for a Dream. Dezzy is a painter searching for a way out of her creative block. Booze, sex, and drugs soon escalate to blood and violence. A short and quite intensive film with a nice soundtrack. The lead actress is pretty good too.

1. I'll go with the bane of Marvel fans...Martin Scorsese

2. I'll spitball and guess 2013

3. Mall Cop crawled so that Observe and Report could run.

WARNING: "Spoilers" spoilers below
My guess is Moonlight

Can't believe you guys haven't heard of Nude Nuns With Big Guns
It's become a bit of a staple in the UK on the Horror Channel. One of those 2am filler movies they put on at least once a fortnight

Also, it's worth watching for the sake of being able to say you've seen it.

My #25 didn't make the one pointers though.

RIP to Mark F. I enjoyed reading his posts on this forum.

Cheatin was an interesting animated film. It wasn't a film that ended up on my list, but if you're a huge fan of Plymptoons, it'd make sense showing up here.

Iron Man 2 might be among the worst Marvel films I've seen. Despite some efforts from recently then comeback actor Mickey Rourke, too much of it was just a less interesting rehash of the first one right down to the similar corporate villain.

Tucker and Dale vs Evil was a fairly good horror comedy (maybe skewering closer to dark comedy than actual horror). A film of obsession and prejudging people before meeting them, not everything clicked. But more often than not, it did.

To the surprise of not many who saw me recommend it on the 2022 List thread, The Retrieval is mine. A Civil War drama about a young boy and his "older brother" who are tasked with catching an escaped slave in the South and what happens when the young man starts to bond with his bounty. Complicating things is that the amount of cash that'll be earned will put him closer to be freed from his servitude to a white bounty hunter and his gang. So will he choose money or principle? Doing the right thing or survival? A fascinating story told with good acting and strong direction from Chris Eska leads to an unforgettable climax.

1. Martin Scorsese
2. 2019
3. Parasite

Out of the one pointers I have seen:

Bliss (2019)
The Burden (2017)
The Editor (2014)
Cake (2014)
Gifted (2017)
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (2011)
Teen Beach Movie (2013)
21 Jump Street (2012)
Iron Man 2 (2010)
Nine Lives (2016)
In Fabric (2018)
Tucker and Dale vs Evil (2010)

I've seen a whoppin' 2 films from the One-Pointers, in addition to mine: Iron Man 2 and Tucker and Dale vs. Evil. I had issues with the former, and had a lot of fun with the latter.

As for mine, it was Antes que cante el gallo; a Puerto Rican film I saw earlier this year. Here's the review I wrote here back then...

ANTES QUE CANTE EL GALLO
(2016, Cruz)

"The 'rooster is gonna crow' for that girl soon. If she's like that now, I don't know how she'll be when she's a little woman."

The "rooster crowing" is a slang term in Puerto Rico for a girl's first period, the entrance into womanhood and therefore, her sexual awakening. An entirely normal and expected phase, that can be problematic when the environment around the girl is not the best one. That is the case with Carmín (Miranda Purcell) in this wonderful Puerto Rican film.

Antes Que Cante el Gallo, translated as "Before the rooster crows", follows Carmín as she struggles with the above while living with her strict grandmother (Cordelia González). To complicate things, her mother is moving to the US looking for a better job, and her father Rubén (José Eugenio Hernández) has returned home after a prison sentence.

But "before the rooster crows" also has Biblical connotations, specifically to the story of Peter disowning Jesus three times. Carmín has to deal with her own kind of disowning, maybe from her mother who is abandoning her, but also of her father, who can't seem to stay out of trouble. This angle of disowning or betrayal might also extend to Gloria, as both grandmother and granddaughter have to deal with the "betrayal" of Rubén.

Technically speaking, the direction by Ari Manuel Cruz is pretty good and the cinematography by Santiago Marí Benet is impeccable. There are some really good shot compositions along the film, and the overall camera movement is solid. There is also great use of the mountain and country landscapes where the film is set. This, paired with a pretty good production design results in a film that feels real, as opposed to other local films that feel and look like a "fake" Puerto Rico.

But what keeps the film together are the main performances, especially Purcell and Hernández. For a girl so young and with little acting experience, Purcell does an excellent job conveying all the emotional storm inside of Carmín. She's angry, frustrated, sad, confused, wanting, sometimes all at the same time. Meanwhile, Hernández' performance walks a fine line between charm and threat.

The complex relationship between father and daughter, which isn't even fully explored, is one of the most interesting angles of the film. There are certainly some plot points that are left hanging, but in the end, what remains is a story about women learning to move past the abandonment of their loved ones, and growing up to find their own.

Grade:
As far as I know, it's available to watch free on Tubi, so feel free to check it out.

1. I think Denis Villeneuve has a legitimate chance to get all his 6 films in, but at the very least he's getting 4. Scorsese will struggle to get 4, I think, but he will surely get 3.

2. 2017?

3. I agree that Parasite seems to have a certain edge as far as popularity AND "prestige" goes, but who knows.