Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

A Scanner Darkly (2006)

I have been wanting to see this movie for a long time for several reasons, and it didn't work for me. The cel shading style was distracting more than captivating, and the story was rather tame. I feel like I missed some things based on how a lot of people love this movie, so I'm open to hearing other people's opinions on this one to try and change mine.

Three Days of the Condor 1975

Good seventies espionage thriller, very stylish.
(Definitely buying a new 'pea coat' for this fall/winter.)
Great soundtrack by Dave Grusin reminded me of the Enter The Dragon '73 OST.
-

Weird is relative.
Dogman (American release in 2019)

A kind-hearted man who is a bit of a pushover (perhaps due to his small stature) looks after dogs for a living, and is bullied by his neighbor, a large, menacing and immature coke addict who uses criminal behavior to get what he wants. The dog-groomer wants to live his life in peace and take his daughter on seaside vacations, but his neighbor won't leave him alone.

It's slow-paced at times, so it's best to watch when one has the patience for a "gritty realism" type of drama.

Re-watched two contemporary classic comedies last night:

It's not my favorite 80s teen comedy, but I think it is the best 80's teen comedy...a clever story that teens can relate to, imaginative direction by John Hughes, a star-making performance by Matthew Broderick and Jeffrey Jones the perfect comic villain.

Warren Beatty established himself as a filmmaker as producer and star of Bonnie and Clyde and won an Oscar for directing Reds, but I think this is his masterpiece...this remake of the 1941 film Here Comes Mr. Jordan is a warm and winning comic fantasy with just the right dash of romance...handsomely mounted with a superb supporting cast, including Oscar-nominated performances from Jack Warden and Dyan Cannon. The star also received three nominations himself for Lead Actor, co-screenwriter with Elaine May and co-director with Buck Henry. This film is perfection, pure and simple.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Iron Sky: The Coming Race (Timo Vuorensola, 2018)

I loved the original film so I was expecting a bit more for the sequel. It has its moments (where else you going to see Hitler ride a T-Rex?) but one major issue I had was co-star Vladimir Bukalov's Sasha. He was very annoying. But seeing Udo Kier as both Kortzfleisch AND Hitler was a highlight for me.

The Running Man - 1987

I actually think there could be a good movie somewhere in this in the right hands in a remake.
Maybe they should have remade this instead of Total Recall.

Anatomy of a Murder 1959
+
A brilliant film in black & white in a realistic location-shot crime/legal/mystery. One of Jimmy Stewart's finest performances, which also features the great George C. Scott's break out performance (which was magnificent). The drop dead sexy Lee Remick, the powerful Ben Gazzara, and the veteran Arthur O'Connell bring believability to the cast.

One of my favorite comediennes, the inestimable Eve Arden, plays Stewart's legal secretary, who delivers some of her patented sarcastic one liners.

This is not only one of the best courtroom dramas of all time, but it's one of the great films as well.

~Doc

Maybe they should have remade this instead of Total Recall.
They should have left all of them alone...

Im not for remakes...especially European/Foreign to American...

'Dirty God' (2019)

Dir.: Sacha Polak

Very neat little film about a mother recovering from an acid attack. It's not without it's flaws but the central performance by first time actress Vicky Knight is pretty phenomenal.

The film itself is not just about recovery, but also about mothers and daughters, family and partners. It has some heartbreaking moments but is ultimately uplifting with a pay off. Very decent.

Spider-Man: Far From Home 8.5/10

They should have left all of them alone...

Im not for remakes...especially European/Foreign to American...
I liked the American remake of The Ring better than the original.

I never saw any of the remakes of the Swedish/Danish series The Bridge but I wondered about how successful they could have been. Ours was instead called The Tunnel as it involved the Channel Tunnel.

Die Straße [The Street] (Karl Grune, 1923)
+
Adventure .... pah!, who needs it

I never saw any of the remakes of the Swedish/Danish series The Bridge but I wondered about how successful they could have been.
The original Bron/Broen was so excellent I had no interest in remakes. I believe the American/Mexican version with Diane Kruger ended after a single season?

The Accountant (Gavin O'Connor, 2016)

A reasonable entry in the genre I suppose

The original Bron/Broen was so excellent I had no interest in remakes.
I felt the same way .

I believe the American/Mexican version with Diane Kruger ended after a single season?
You could be right.