The Lion King

Tools    

I dont mind a remake so much if there are different view points, new scenes, songs, etc.. but a shot by shot remake sounds quite boring tbh.

Otoh my 9 year old is excited about it and keeps rewatching the trailer

Sourpusses.

I look forward to all that CGI being injected into my eyeballs.

Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

Yeah, it's funny how people are less mad about this than Aladdin. I'm trying to figure out why that is. And also whether people will treat the inevitable The Little Mermaid live action remake like this one or the other one.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
No people?
No Will Smith?

No interest in Aladdin, and borderline on The Lion King, but that's how it's always been with me. I might see The Little Mermaid! I had a crush on Ariel. I mean, when I was a kid of course.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Welcome to the human race...
You have to wonder if Disney is playing a long con by having Dumbo and Aladdin look so ill-advised in their creative choices that Lion King ends up looking far superior in comparison despite doing nothing more ambitious than a shot-for-shot remake.

You have to wonder if Disney is playing a long con by having Dumbo and Aladdin look so ill-advised in their creative choices that Lion King ends up looking far superior in comparison despite doing nothing more ambitious than a shot-for-shot remake.

And also not paying any of the writers or paying out any royalties of any kind to anyone.

I'm actually not thrilled with Scar. The original had him look so much darker in contrast to the other lions, and now he looks relatively normal at first glance

What this clips is showing me is that the live action stuff can look great when the singing is being done by humans, but trying to make the animals sing and look like real animals is kinda nuts and feels all off.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I think this is turning into looking like a bomb, much like The Jungle Book remake.

Aladdin remake at least had some substance to it. I'm sure Dumbo may have too.

I think there might be a big, glowing line here based on animals and people, personally. People singing actually looks more real than cartoon people signing, of course, but the same isn't true of animals.

Weird is relative.
@Yoda you're right. I just watched the singing clip you shared and the "live-action CGI" made me cringe...

Now I'm getting "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" vibes from this re-make, which is bad, because I disliked the second one and didn't bother checking out the third.

I have mixed feelings about all these live action remakes. On one hand, there's the obvious "why?" of it, the money-grasping cynicism. On the other hand, nobody's stopping anyone from watching the originals and simply ignoring these, and it's obviously better and adds more than a "straight" remake. They're also really pretty, now that the CGI has gotten as good as it has. The Jungle Book was pretty good, I thought, and I don't recall there being as much backlash against that as there is against this, or Aladdin trailer, or even Beauty and the Beast. Maybe because those are all newer and a lot of people posting comments grew up with those?

Anyway, I don't love it, but I don't hate it. I look forward to just renting it eventually and admiring how polished it looks, I guess. I don't think it's great, but it's not terrible, either. Retelling stories is inherent to the nature of stories.
when there no fresh ideas - just refilm old movies, that's how it works