TALES FROM THE LOOP

Tools    

Haven't heard any chatter about this series. Anyone watching it on Amazon?

I've watched the first 3 eps, and haven't cared much for the stories, but have really enjoyed the special effects, especially in Episode 3.

I was expecting a linear story series like Stranger Things, but was surprised to see that it's an anthology series, not dissimilar to The Twilight Zone, and others, all related to and facilitated by the mysterious "Loop"-- a supernatural machine sitting near the town that can alter the laws of the universe.

Interesting idea, but hopefully the next 5 eps will be better.

I haven't watched it yet* but it's on my to-do list. I'm vaguely familiar with the source material (I've skimmed the RPG and know the premise) and I'm not too sure I'll like it but it's a Scifi so I'll give it a go.

*I needed to finish Home Before Dark first (another show no one in here is talking about but I thought it was pretty good).

Yeah, similar to Devs, I might give this one a shot based on what I'm hearing. I don't seem to love shows that vary widely from episode to episode though.

Watched episode 1 and didn't care for it much, but there's enough here to make me try and catch episode 2....or should I just go straight to episode 3 based on what you said GulfportDoc?

Watched episode 1 and didn't care for it much, but there's enough here to make me try and catch episode 2....or should I just go straight to episode 3 based on what you said GulfportDoc?
Well I'm not sure what your tastes are. I'd watch them all, and see what you think.

I didn't care for the ending in episode 4, although there were some haunting and impressive special effects. Eps 5 & 6 were slightly banal. I have a feeling the final two eps will be more impressive. After all, I'm sure they'd like to have a second season..

Finished up the season last night. It had its moments, and there were some touching portions; but at most I could say only that it was mildly interesting. I'd be surprised if it got another season.

Kind of a shame really. With the setup of "The Loop", it could have gone in a whole bunch of ways. It still could, but they'd probably need some different writers.

Jumped around and watched episode 7 about the "monster" on the island. Same thing you mentioned where the idea is kinda there, but it only scratches the surface and doesn't explore some of the more meaningful concepts it could have. I'm probably done watching at this point.

I finally watched this couple of weeks ago. I kind of agree with the above sentiments of its unevenness and wasted potential.

I really liked the visual style and the soundtrack. The sad, melancholic feel was also to my liking, especially during the first half of the season. I was positively surprised by the structure after the anthology claims and comparisons to The Twilight Zone in the OP (I think it's much closer to a linear approach than anthology).

What I didn't like, then? Too often the series felt like a normal drama and the SciFi elements were just toppings. Also, several episodes felt like rehashes of the same concept (the body-switch, the time-stop, and the alternate universe gay love story). The series also spreads its cast too thin, giving it some anthology feel and, more importantly, avoiding any answers and resolutions.

As a whole, it's a mostly positive experience but lacks a proper oomph to make it really stand out. I'd give
for the season, I guess.

I really liked it. The visuals were top notch - not much flakey CGI. And the drama / anthology feel really worked. The last episode (directed by Jodie Foster) was great. It's crying out for a second series because there are some time switching connotations at play

WARNING: "tales from the loop" spoilers below
There are some characters that switch back and forth in time and might even be future versions of themselves I reckon