HUNTERS -- Amazon Prime

Tools    

We started watching Hunters (2020), an 11 part series on Amazon Prime, starring Al Pacino, about Nazi hunters in 1977 NYC. Fearing well-worn material, I did reckon the quality at least would be pretty high with Pacino on board, but the series is trite on so many levels that it's hard to point them all out. It's probably a case of too many writers and directors. The show can't figure out what it wants to be: horror, thriller, off beat comedy, documentary. It's all thrown together in a mess. Supposed to be set in 1977, the idioms and language are way off. People weren't saying "I'm good with that" in 1977, nor was every other adjective or adverb "f*cking". Worse yet the actors uttering the curse words don't seem natural, so their dialogues have an ineffectual feel. Pacino is decent, but he's bogged down by poor writing. The script insists on using cliche after cliche, which makes the story seem satirical in parts.

They must have offered Pacino a bundle to do this one. As a rating I'd be hard pressed to give it 4/10. We continue plodding through it (watched the first 5) because there's such a dearth of series to watch. About the only thing I'm enjoying these days are documentaries of various painters (the impressionists, Vermeer, Van Gogh, Rembrandt, etc.) on Amazon Prime. Funny thing, I can't find any similar docs on Netflix!

~Doc

I did quit this one after 2-4 episodes (can't remember exactly). It's just another modern "edgy" tv show that thinks foul language, violence, and bizarre twists alone equals good entertainment (and no, I most certainly have nothing against any of them but they don't fix bad writing).