The Missing (2014-2016) - on Amazon Prime

Tools    

The Missing (2014-2016)

This is a simmering thriller series in 8 episodes. A family on holiday in France is stunned and devastated when their young son suddenly disappears while the father is not watching. Presumed kidnapped, the episodes spin a web of intrigue, time frame changes, and dead ends, which ultimately lead to an unexpected ending.

I'm not normally a fan of "kidnap" type movies, but this one is well acted by principals David Morrissey and Anastasia Hille as the parents, and the hypnotic Tcheky Karyo as the the Parisian detective who takes a special interest in the case.

I was continually impressed by the first rate cinematography of Ole Bratt Birkeland. It got to where the photography got my attention as least as much as the story. And there is plenty of it on display. If one is used to fast action and quickly told stories, this series will seem a little ponderous. It's as much a character study as it is a thriller.

There is a second season of a different story. Available on Amazon Prime, and various streaming services.

Doc's rating: 7/10

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
lol. I still got one remaining season of LOST to burn through before considering another series option. Noted though!

Will check this out. Based maybe on the little British girl who vanished in Portugal & has never been found.

We watched the second season, and IMO it was even better than the first, which is a little unusual.

There was a different "kidnapping" story which was more absorbing and varied than it's predecessor. Lots of twists and turns.

It was disappointing not to have Ole Birkeland back as cinematographer, but Garry Phillips and associate did fine work as well.

Tcheky Karyo as retired detective Julien Baptiste is really the main protagonist in both seasons. He has a hypnotic presence. The producers evidently agreed, since he was given his own series named Baptiste, a 13 episode series from 2019. Looking forward to that one as well.