Coronavirus

Tools    

You can't let people in and just "make sure" of anything. What are you gonna do, force people apart? What if they fight you on it? Then your security staff is at risk, too. The only way to make sure is not to allow it.

You don't do it because it creates a situation you can't control. The same way armies during a cold war try not to even get within shooting distance, because you don't know when someone's going to do something jumpy or irrational.

Abbot has seen a 24% increase in their share price over the last week: 10% was just from today after announcing a new rapid COVID-19 test yesterday.

Just remember: there are people making millions off this ****.

Well there lots a people that put money in a collection plate thinking that will save them or forgive then for something they feel guilty for. So people now think if pay money the priest can have god get my job back or end the virus.

Well lets say some churches has this manor of paying for things through collections. A bad preacher can really cheat people during a time like this.

My wife's been seeing some clients by FaceTime but still going to the office for most. That's ending after today. I'd rather she be home with the dogs anyway. More cooking and I don't have to rush home from work to take them out. Still full hours for me, and they're paying us an extra 10% until this blows over.

You can't let people in and just "make sure" of anything. What are you gonna do, force people apart? What if they fight you on it? Then your security staff is at risk, too. The only way to make sure is not to allow it.

You don't do it because it creates a situation you can't control. The same way armies during a cold war try not to even get within shooting distance, because you don't know when someone's going to do something jumpy or irrational.

Well true but this definately should be considered when people are told to go back to events. I think distancing at events be a good idea

You ready? You look ready.

Everybody want front tickets but nobody wanna pay front row ticket prices.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

However, some parishes are doing drive through confessions as permitted by the local bishops.
Hilarious. Sounds like a scene from a Fellini movie.

Well there lots a people that put money in a collection plate thinking that will save them or forgive then for something they feel guilty for.
That’s why we have confession in the Catholic Church. No amount of money in the collection basket will absolve us of sin.

Well most confessions are private or open public arent they.
Confessions are never “open”. Either behind a screen or face-to-face with a priest, which does not appeal to me in the slightest.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Hilarious. Sounds like a scene from a Fellini movie.
Well, the way it works is the priest sits in his car in the parking lot and people either drive or walk up to his car and then the priest hears their confessions. It's really a wonderful thing to have in these dark times.

I know this may sound stupid but couldnt you still do movies just limit so many people per showing and screen.
No. The virus is highly contagious. It can remain in the air for 3 hours. One little cough or sneeze from an infected person and a whole lot of people are going to breathe in the virus.

I just wanted to share my view on the coronavirus and how it affects my life going forward, I am open to criticism on this.

I kind of am resolved that I'm going to get the Coronavirus. It spreads as easily as the flu spreads or colds, and you might not get the flu every year but you will get it sometime or another. I feel that the best case scenario is that they're going to develop something along the lines of a flu shot which will help people from Contracting it, but no permanent immunity to it.

Since it's not going to go away in my opinion I feel the quarantining and staying indoors is no real solution long-term. The best thing I could probably do is strengthen my own immune system by quitting smoking, eating healthier, exercising, taking vitamins, Etc....

I work outdoors and it's in the Sun mostly hot and I hear that that is not the ideal conditions for the virus to spread. I'm pretty much of a homebody anyway.

I do worry for my dad and stepmom, they are elderly. And I'm hoping that this thing ends up being cyclical or seasonal like the flu.

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in cuz I've been trying to make light of this hoping to ease a lot of worry and paranoia, but it was probably just "too soon", especially since the pandemic is ongoing. Sincere apologies if making light of this rubbed someone the wrong way.

Since it's not going to go away in my opinion I feel the quarantining and staying indoors is no real solution long-term. The best thing I could probably do is strengthen my own immune system by quitting smoking, eating healthier, exercising, taking vitamins, Etc....
Hi Tongo and welcome back!

Just wanted to respond to this one point - I think the scientists realize that the virus will be with us for a long time and we'll have to find ways to deal with that.

That being said, the "shut down" right now is really to just try to "flatten the curve": to keep the hospitals from becoming overwhelmed.

We'll have to adapt to new conditions - like having more hospital beds, ventilators, PPE, etc. But since we don't have enough right now (or enough in the right places) - slowing the viral spread provides time to get better prepared for a much higher, more constant influx of flu & respiratory patients.

One thing we'll probably have to adapt to is a greater death count from flu every year (to include Covid-19) just as we've come to "accept" that tens of thousands of Americans will die in the U.S. every year of the "common" flu. At the same time, we'll adapt to preventative measures and hopefully new treatments or vaccines.

It's a shame that this will probably mark the end of the handshake in our culture (maybe we'll adopt the Native American hand in the air... even if it was a Hollywood contrivance?)

Well, the way it works is the priest sits in his car in the parking lot and people either drive or walk up to his car and then the priest hears their confessions. It's really a wonderful thing to have in these dark times.
I can say without a doubt that the Archbishop of Connecticut would never go for this.

Who needs to go to confession anyway? These days only a mortal (serious) sin requires confession. I just went to confession, but it will probably be my very last one. So uncomfortable going to confession.

I can say without a doubt that the Archbishop of Connecticut would never go for this.

Who needs to go to confession anyway? These days only a mortal (serious) sin requires confession. I just went to confession, but it will probably be my very last one. So uncomfortable going to confession.
It's true you dont have to go to confession to confess only venial sins. Nevertheless, the Church recommends confession of venial sins. It's good for the soul.

CCC #1458 Without being strictly necessary, confession of everyday faults (venial sins) is nevertheless strongly recommended by the Church. Indeed the regular confession of our venial sins helps us form our conscience, fight against evil tendencies, let ourselves be healed by Christ and progress in the life of the Spirit. By receiving more frequently through this sacrament the gift of the Father's mercy, we are spurred to be merciful as he is merciful.

The coronavirus is seemingly highly contagious. The more news stories that come to the forefront the more I realize just how highly contagious it is. Consider this sad newstory:

news story link

A British family is urging people to take social distancing measures seriously after 17 of its members apparently caught the coronavirus at the funeral of a relative who died of the illness, according to a report...

MoFos please safe guard your health, safe guard everyone's health by taking the pandemic & social distancing seriously.

So uncomfortable going to confession.
The fact that it makes you uncomfortable is probably all the more reason why you should go. There's nothing to be embarrassed about. It's something you eventually get used to doing. If you're not comfortable confessing to your priest, go to another priest at a different parish. Doing that which makes you uncomfortable makes you stronger.

That's reasonable, Tongs. I don't think anyone thinks this is a long-term solution. The biggest issue is the sudden demand on the health care system. We need to weather that, but once we have things get a lot better. Even if it takes awhile to get a vaccination, we'll get better/faster/more available testing, more public awareness, more masks made, et cetera. This initial rush is the really important part because it's the part that could be a shock to the system, and ripple down to all sorts of other people who need health care and can't get it for a time.

I very much think of this as something we have to do for the next few weeks or couple months, just to give people in health care and other logistical outfits time to prepare and catch-up, since it spreads so unbelievably fast (another way in which it differs from the flu).